Tapeworms in food

Options
2»

Replies

• chadya07
    chadya07 Posts: 627 Member
    Options
    first of all. the simple but effective gifs in this thread are tres amusant. also the tails in crunchy rolls are the stupidest things EVER>

second. my son loves to watch " monsters inside me" which is a series about parasites. its gross.

but before i get all paranoid and start swearing off food and sandboxes for life i wait for the end of the episodes where they almost always say the person traveled outside the country to somewhere where everyone knows they should be more careful... or that they say, ate a live crab that the sushi chef pulled out of a secret off menu bowl...

i had the pleasure of listening to a restaurant get inspected while i was eating there once, a sushi place. why they had their inspection at a table in the dining room i am not sure...seemed rather unprofessional. but they were pretty darn thourough about every single kind of fish they sold, and what had to be done with each one. i am not really worried here. but if someone offers you a live crustacean from a secret bowl, its best to avoid it.
  • chadya07
    chadya07 Posts: 627 Member
    Options
    also, creamy scallop, spicy tuna, eel, urchin roe, spider roll. and a side of o****ashi.

omg. the censored my spinach salad.
  • missiontofitness
    missiontofitness Posts: 4,074 Member
    Options
    also, creamy scallop, spicy tuna, eel, urchin roe, spider roll. and a side of o****ashi.

omg. the censored my spinach salad.

Testing... O****ashi.

Edit: what the poop! It's a food in another language...and it's censored? Lol.
  • Sophiareed218
    Sophiareed218 Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    Most places in the US are required to freeze all fish they serve. Your sushi isn't "fresh caught" that day, it's frozen, thawed (controlled thaw) and served because parasites will die in the freezer. So, if you go to decent restaurant with money to lose, you'll be fine.
    Yes. Law requires ALL sashimi fish to be frozen first. So that won't happen in the United states. Mmmmmm, sushi!
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    Most places in the US are required to freeze all fish they serve. Your sushi isn't "fresh caught" that day, it's frozen, thawed (controlled thaw) and served because parasites will die in the freezer. So, if you go to decent restaurant with money to lose, you'll be fine.

Speaking as an ex-chef. No.
    (I will grant that most people will never notice the difference between frozen and fresh fish though.)

ETA - the tails in the shrimp tempura rolls are pleasantly crunchy. I take it folks aren't too keen on amaebi then either, eh?
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,695 Member
    Options
    I just read a cringe worthy article about a man whose entire body was infested with tapeworms, after eating large amounts of sashimi in China.

I've seen enough gifs and Youtube videos of squirming parasites in sushi to know that you've really got to be careful where you order sushi from, and to inspect your food before you eat it as well as you can. But BLEH. I absolutely did not believe the photos (of X-Rays), until I found out that they indeed can show up on X-Rays, especially if they are causing lesions within the body.

I'm surprised he wasn't severely malnourished from the volume of tapeworms he had inside of him.
    Also, proceed at your own risk: http://www.khou.com/story/news/health/2014/09/24/man-riddled-with-tapeworms-after-eating-contaminated-sushi/16182885/

Also, eat sushi at your own risk.
    This shows tapeworms in the whole body in a relatively "short" time according to the article. So I'm suspicious since the man said "recently" and don't believe an infestation like this happens quickly. Also tapeworms are usually found in the intestines and not all over the body.

Diphyllobothrium latum is the type of tapeworm from fish.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition