nutritional needs while sick

Options
Hello MFP'ers,

I am into day three of a horrible head cold. This has affected my weight loss goals as such: scale is showing a gain (I'm thinking its the congestion in my sinuses). I am craving salt (I'm thinking its the dehydration from the constant runny nose.) While I worked out the last two days, I just could not make myself do it today.
Does anyone have any feedback on what changes if any we should make to our eating habits, and excercise habits while ill. I've increased my fluids, but am still finding I'm dehydrated. I've stuck to my recommended caloric intake per the norm, but really really feel the need to binge. This isn't normal for me. Could my body be needing more calories to fight virus?

Replies

• NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    If you're sick, don't exercise. Your body has enough to deal with fighting your illness. And if you feel like you need more food, eat it. make sure it's healthy, but eat it. I've been sick this whole week with a cold that my family had, and now it's turned into a sinus infection. I haven't seen any real gain from it even though I've been eating more than normal. The bottom line is that your body needs rest and plenty of fuel to fight any illness, so give it what it needs! And gain you may see is insignificant, you need to give your body time to heal. Overworking it with exercise and not giving it enough food will just make it take longer to get better. Drink plenty of water and some orange juice, eat lots of vegetables and protein and watch your sodium intake. And now, more than ever, avoid processed foods and refined/added sugars!
  • Holton
    Holton Posts: 1,018
    Options
    Forget exercise until you are healthy. DRINK lots of water and teas (avoiding the sugar). Eat more calories if you need to, but make them healthy choices; don't cave into junk as that is NOT what your body needs to fight infection. Low sodium chicken broths/soups would be a good option too. Here's to feeling better soon!
  • ChshireKat
    Options
    When you are sick you burn more calories and use more water. Dink lots and eat as needed, chicken noodle soup still does wonders. If you think you need to exercise go light, do yoga, walk ... clean house vigorusly. :happy:
  • gmaanneliese
    gmaanneliese Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone. I've been listening to my body. When it wants something sweet but I seem thirsty, I give it 100%vitamin C juice, when it wanted something salty but I seemed thirsty, I gave it tomato based soup. These things seem to be helping. I'm listening to the craving but giving it healthy choices. And yes, I've given up the excercise for a day or two and trying not to feel guilty about it. :wink: