Small scale-related victories

Options
I'm trying to set myself small, realistic goals that I can check off regularly, one by one, as I go along... without turning it into an "everybody gets a medal" event where I praise myself just for walking to the bathroom in the morning.

I started at 163 pounds (again). My first goal was to see the scale start moving downward, so 162 was my first goal met.

My second was to break into the 150's. Done it.

My third was to lose five pounds. Hit that at 158.

My fourth was to break 155. Did that this morning.

Next I intend to commemorate losing 10 pounds at 153, breaking into the 140's, losing 15 pounds (which is also just about 10 percent of my body weight, another milestone), etc., etc., until I reach 135.

These seem like trivial "nothing" goals, but if there are a lot of them you hit them frequently and I find it's great motivation. I basically started in May, but lost July and August due to a serious lapse and re-started the first week of September at 158.

Replies

• La5Vega5Girl
    La5Vega5Girl Posts: 709 Member
    Options
    that is a great idea. i never thought of doing that, i only have one final goal. i like the thought of that, i might choose my next goal as getting out of the 140's. TFS! :happy:
  • MamaRiss
    MamaRiss Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    I had a mini goal of seeing a weight in the 130's this week. And after a few days of the scale not budging ( wow, I honestly can't figure that one out this morning, need more coffee) , and an extra 300 calories at dinner last night, I saw 139.8 this morning. Made my day! Next goal is not going back to 140 this weekend :)
  • DanZiehm
    DanZiehm Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    You hit the nail on the head with setting mini-goals! It's kind of like the saying... How do you eat an elephant? One bite at a time! I have done the same thing with setting mini-goals. I started out with 110 pounds to drop. When I looked at that number as a whole, it freaked me out. I have been breaking it down into 10 pound mini-goals which seem a whole lot more attainable. I have been chipping away at my overall goal 10 pounds at a time. So far I have lost 47 pounds and it has been great celebrating the small accomplishments!

Good luck to you on reaching all of your interim goals!
  • lorib642
    lorib642 Posts: 1,942 Member
    Options
    I like that idea. I keep waiting for big changes that I don't celebrate the little ones along the way. congrats!
  • Candiso316
    Options
    these are wonderful goals. I am doing the same sort of thing. My first goal is to do some kind of real exercise every day for 6 days. Sunday being a day of rest unless it is a fun fun thing like playing disc golf with my husband. I am at 3 days as of yesterday and on Monday I will step on the scale to see if I have met my other goal of losing 2 pounds per week. I have a lot further to go than you but am excited for a good start and thank you for the motivation.
  • independant2406
    independant2406 Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    Little goals are the best and so much more motivating!!