What do you do with a sweet potato?

Options

Replies

• jphuffm
    Options
    sweet potatoes are a Great alternative to the traditional potatoe, russets/gold, etc. Sweet potatoes are significantly more healthier for you and should be used over regular.

I've had sweet potatoe burgers, which are awesome, I've baked them, but personally I really enjoy slicing them up like French fries and baking them. I put cinnamon, paprika, salt/pepper, and back them a 375 for 12min a side and they turn out really well! I wash and peel to prep as well.
  • loconnor466
    loconnor466 Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    I have searched far and wide and tried and tested many times for the perfect sweet potato fry recipe. I cut them into medium sized fries, spray with 0 cal oil spray. Salt & pepper, sprinkle of basil. Toss with 1tbls cornstarch to coat evenly. Bake for 20 minutes @ 400. Flip over. Bake 10-15 more minutes.

The cornstarch makes them perfectly crunchy and the basil really goes with the sweetness. I rarely eat regular fries any more since these are so good :)

I have got to try this cornstarch method. I do chicken wings in the oven dusted with cornstarch and it crisps up the skin so nicely!

I love sweet potatoes anyway, mashed, baked, oven roasted. Just did a recipe that I cut into wedges, grilled in a basket on my grill while the pork tenderloin was on. when they had crisp skins and a little charred from the grill I brushed them with a maple/orange/cinnamon compound butter. A little compound butter goes a long way!
  • bethciv
    bethciv Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I shred them in the food processor and then saute with coconut oil. I keep in the fridge and use throughout the week as a side dish for eggs, meat, put in soups, whatever.
  • JoyeII
    JoyeII Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    I bake them and eat them with butter and a little cinnamon.

I also cut them into fries and pan fry, deep fry, or bake them - depending on my mood.
  • Shimmysista
    Shimmysista Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    my favorite n quick go to with sweet potato is to wash and wrap it in a wet (then wrung) paper towel, then wrap in plastic wrap n nuke for 5 minutes. The damp paper towel keeps it from getting rubbery and gives it more of a baked texture. I top it with 0 fat Fage greek yogurt and dried chives

I have also grated them while raw and sauteed them up in a table spoon of EVO with chopped onion and garlic for hashbrowns
  • zilannoj
    zilannoj Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    I like to cut them up like french fries, lightly coat them with coconut oil (really, whatever you want works... I often use bacon fat if I have it on hand). I then bake it at 425 for about thirty minutes. Halfway through I turn it over to make sure it's evenly crispy. On the side, I make a sriracha mayo for dipping. You could easily do sriracha and greek yogurt instead, just as delicious.

Also, sweet potato hash browns with an egg over easy and avocado is absolutely divine.

For a dessert option, I bake the sweet potato and then add cinnamon, honey, butter and some almond butter... and walnuts for some added crunch.
  • Aerinity
    Aerinity Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I don't even bother with the hole poking that many others do. I just wash the skin well, and toss it in the microwave for a time appropriate to the size of the potato then pull it out and eat it as is. I don't have a big sweet tooth, so they taste pretty sweet to me just as they are. I used to love slathering them with butter but... That sort of packs on the calories which I'm trying not to do anymore. haha.
  • tbranch3634
    Options
    I dice them up, put them into a bowl and toss with olive oil and sprinkle cinnamon, nutmeg and allspice. Bake in oven for 25 minutes and they are super good.
  • Aerinity
    Aerinity Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Also, sweet potato hash browns with an egg over easy and avocado is absolutely divine.

This sounds amazing.
  • gallifreyfallsnomore1
    Options
    Sweet potato fries are good. There are lots of recipes out there.
  • rubyamber01
    rubyamber01 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I made sweet potato chips, nummy and it fills that got to have something crunchy and sweet cravings. They are like my little cookies.
  • JoyeII
    JoyeII Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    Puree is also good.
  • libbydoodle11
    libbydoodle11 Posts: 1,351 Member
    Options
    Bake at 350 degrees for one hour and consume. I like to keep it simple. YUM!
  • bohemian124
    bohemian124 Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    Bump!
  • sprintto50
    sprintto50 Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    Cut into "fries", tossed with a bit of olive oil and lots (to taste) of Cajun seasoning, and baked at 425F for 20 minutes or so on a foi-covered cookie sheet. Turn a couple of times. Yummy! I also like them baked on high heat until they bubble out sweetness, and mash Cajun seasoning into them. I love the hot and sweet combo in general.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    Sweet potatoe fries - usually sprayed with oil and then baked

Pan fried with onion

Add them to stews or pot roast

Baked, topped with butter and black pepper
  • sassybooklady
    sassybooklady Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Baked in the oven and topped with almond butter and cinnamon.
  • SpikeTailTurtle
    Options
    I bake them then whip them up with some butter, garlic, basil, and a dash of brown sugar.
  • Josalinn
    Josalinn Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    First you prepare the oven: aluminum foil under the heating element. Set temp to 350 degrees F.
    second you prepare the sweet potato: scrub the outside and wrap in aluminum foil.
    Third bake the potato: put potato in oven and walk away for 2 to 3 hours.

When the potato is finished cooking remove it from the oven and the foil and put it on a plate.

It is perfect just like that....

(Boyfriend likes it fried in butter and brown sugar an d while that is super tasty, it is not practical for everyday eats.)