Wheat belly

Options
Anyone out there do the Wheat belly lifestyle change? Curious to see how hard it is and if its do-able...I just want to feel better!

Replies

• La5Vega5Girl
    La5Vega5Girl Posts: 709 Member
    Options
    wheat belly, grain brain...YES i stopped grains and gluten a long time ago (because my daughter is gluten-intolerant and we all changed our eating habits) LOVE LOVE LOVE it! i went to my allergist yesterday and she said, "what are you doing? your skin is glowing!" no tummy troubles, better skin, more energy, sleeping at night. benefits far out-weigh do-nuts. :smile:
  • I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member
    Options
    Wheat Belly is a crock. Unless you have some kind of allergy to wheat, it's not going to have any ill effects on you.

http://nogluten-noproblem.com/2012/03/wheat-belly-busted.html
  • margojr4
    margojr4 Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    Its worth a shot to go wheat free. Try it for a month? Whats the harm? Some find a difference in swelling, skin, clear head etc. Like any other allergy, some will find relief while others will not *shrug*

Hubs travels for work and kept getting a skin rash on his torso, we assumed from bleach ridden sheets at the hotels. He decided to go wheat free and his skin cleared up within days. On occasion he will eat wheat laced bread, crackers.. when he does the rash returns.

Good luck!
  • La5Vega5Girl
    Options
    Wheat Belly is a crock. Unless you have some kind of allergy to wheat, it's not going to have any ill effects on you.

http://nogluten-noproblem.com/2012/03/wheat-belly-busted.html

my daughter has no wheat ALLERGY, but she has a really bad intolerance to gluten. she will get diarrhea and a bad stomach ache if she eats it. she has been off wheat & gluten for years and is thriving, whereas before, she wouldn't gain weight. our pediatrician said, "she doesn't have celiac, no need to withhold gluten." thank goodness i didn't listen.
  • Linzer3
    Options
    Thanks! I have a co-worker who has done it for a year and she looks and feels fantastic! I need to make a change, but need to make sure its do-able for me!
  • SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage
    Options
    Take what you read in this book with a grain of salt. The author has some valid points, but the Chicken Little "the sky is falling" writing style is a bit ridiculous.

That being said, I have been GF for about a year and have read the book. I have suffered from stomach issues for a long time and once I went GF, they subsided (I am not Celiac but I am definitely gluten intolerant). I've tested myself a few times to see if this was indeed my issue or just a coincidence, and the repercussions of me ingesting gluten now lead me to believe I made the right choice. I'll spare you the details.

If you are considering this to lose weight, that's the wrong approach. Eating an entire bag of cookies just because they are gluten-free will still cause you to go over your calories and eventually gain weight if you continue. Trust me on this, I speak from experience. Gluten-free items can sometimes be much higher in calories than their regular counterparts. Weight loss simply comes down to calories in-calories out.

If however you have some symptoms that you feel might be related to gluten, give it a shot for a few weeks and see if your issues clear up. A GF diet is to treat an associated medical condition, not to lose weight.

And if you think you are Celiac, make sure to get the blood test done BEFORE you embark on a GF diet. The blood test must be done while there is still gluten in your system or it doesn't work.
  • tquill
    tquill Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    Its worth a shot to go wheat free. Try it for a month? Whats the harm? Some find a difference in swelling, skin, clear head etc. Like any other allergy, some will find relief while others will not *shrug*

Hubs travels for work and kept getting a skin rash on his torso, we assumed from bleach ridden sheets at the hotels. He decided to go wheat free and his skin cleared up within days. On occasion he will eat wheat laced bread, crackers.. when he does the rash returns.

Good luck!

Placebo is a hell of a drug!
  • tquill
    Options
    my daughter has no wheat ALLERGY, but she has a really bad intolerance to gluten. she will get diarrhea and a bad stomach ache if she eats it. she has been off wheat & gluten for years and is thriving, whereas before, she wouldn't gain weight. our pediatrician said, "she doesn't have celiac, no need to withhold gluten." thank goodness i didn't listen.

I'm pretty sure I remember reading that non-celiac gluten intolerance was proven false.
    Options

I'm pretty sure I remember reading that non-celiac gluten intolerance was proven false.
    That may be true, but since I've gone GF I no longer have to know where every single bathroom is along my route and I don't spend a bunch of money on Immodium each month, so there's that.
  • tquill
    Options
    That may be true, but since I've gone GF I no longer have to know where every single bathroom is along my route and I don't spend a bunch of money on Immodium each month, so there's that.

Have you been tested for other allergies? Avoiding gluten likely makes you avoid something else that you actually are allergic to.
  • La5Vega5Girl
    Options

you can read anything you want. but i think i am pretty sure when i see diarrhea.

and by the way, who is "proving" it's false? bread companies??
  • La5Vega5Girl
    Options

i'm glad you are feeling better! :smile:
  • kayemme
    kayemme Posts: 1,782 Member
    Options

and everything people read is true for everybody all the time
    Options

Have you been tested for other allergies? Avoiding gluten likely makes you avoid something else that you actually are allergic to.

LOL like wheat?
    I guess I'm not understanding the question. If my GI issues, which I've suffered from for a long time, have been solved by avoiding gluten, why would I over-complicate it? What's that saying....if you hear hoofbeats, it's more likely a horse than a zebra? I guess if I missed gluten-containing items, I might search out another possibility.
  • La5Vega5Girl
    Options

yes, we personally have tested her and she reacted to dairy and wheat gluten. when i say it gives her a stomach ache, i am not talking about a little girl saying, "my tummy hurts." i'm talking about a child who would writhe in pain and have diarrhea or vomit for hours after ingesting gluten or cow's milk, cheese or other dairy. avoiding gluten doesn't automatically make you avoid other things. everyone is different. i know what works for her.
  • tquill
    Options
    you can read anything you want. but i think i am pretty sure when i see diarrhea.

One day I put my left shoe on before my right, and I got into a fender bender. I learned my lesson, I always put my right shoe on first now.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Here's what I know for myself: fewer refined carbs means less bloating, and a less poochy tummy. And lessened digestive woes.
  • La5Vega5Girl
    Options

One day I put my left shoe on before my right, and I got into a fender bender. I learned my lesson, I always put my right shoe on first now.

i'm shocked you were able to get on both shoes.

after literally years of her losing weight and not fitting-in with the pediatrician's recommendations for growth, we had to try something. after eliminating almost everything, we came to our conclusion. i'm not sure why that is difficult for people to understand, or why anyone would care if me or my child ever ate gluten again?
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options

lol. ok.
  • LeonCX
    LeonCX Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    I knew the anti-grain hype had gone overboard when I saw "gluten free" deodorant tampons at the grocery store.