New to hiking! Advice needed!

gracienkaidens_momma
gracienkaidens_momma Posts: 379 Member
edited September 22 in Fitness and Exercise
I just wanted to elicit advice from seasoned and other newbies at hiking about what I should take, expect, prepare for. I plan to start this wonderful adventure in March when the weather gets above 40 degrees. Please give me some advice since I will be new to hiking!

Replies

• LifesPilgrim
    LifesPilgrim Posts: 498 Member
    UMMM so many things to think about

How long will you be gone?
    What type of terrain?
    What gear do you already have?
    What is the weather predicted to be like?

Good rule of thumb: The more I take with me, the more I like camping. The less I take with me, the more I like hiking.

Try this website for starters, if you have any questions, please feel free to ask me. www.wildbackpacker.com
  • I have some tried and true advice...

**ALWAYS, ALWAYS be prepared and pack like you are going to be gone overnight...a few extra protein bars, flashlight, knife, lighter, extra pair of socks, tablets to purify water...mini first aid kit...etc...

Unfortunately I learned the hard way and was extremely stupid one day and got lost (LONG STORY!!) I ended up dehydrated and FINALLY found my way out...don't even remember driving home because of dehydration and hunger...stupid, stupid, stupid!!! what was supposed to be a simple 6.5 mile hike ended up approx. 16 miles (a very uphill 16 miles!) So, I now know to be prepared...I also know not to go down trails that I have no clue where they end up and to NEVER leave home without telling my hubby exactly where I'm hiking and approx how long it will take me so he knows when to expect me.

**Invest in a really good pair of hiking socks...ones that don't slip and slide as your hiking...they will cost you $15-$20 but worth every penny!!!!

Another dumb thing I did...i didn't think socks were that big of a deal and REFUSED to pay $15 for one stupid pair of socks that weren't even cute!!! lol...boy oh boy...I went hiking one day in my $150 hiking boots and my $1.50 pair of socks and it was a fairly long hike of which the last 5 miles (downhill, which puts more friction on your feet!!) i hobbled SLOWLY because the "el cheapo" socks I had on were slipping all over and wore a blister on the back of my heel...as in the WHOLE BACK OF MY HEEL...raw and bleeding!! I was absolutely miserable and at that point, if a little "wool hiking sock" fairy would have popped in the woods with a pair, I would have paid him $100 for those $15 pair of socks!! So invest in a couple of pair of socks!!!

That's the two bits of advice i have for you...if i do anything really stupid again and learn a valuable lesson, I will FOR SURE let you know!!!! LOL!! I absolutely LOVE hiking though and live in the North Ga. Mountains so I'm fortunate to be surounded by amazing trails!!! Have fun!!
  • I'm actually just looking to go hiking for 2-3 hours or maybe a half day would be fun. I have to Google some local trails in my area. I live in West Virginia in the Appalachian Mountains so I'm sure there's lots of trails around. I will definitely invest in a good pair of hiking socks. Thanks for all of the great advice!
  • Since you are new to hiking, either bring a hiking buddy who is familiar with hiking in general, or better yet, familiar with the trail you will be taking :) If you don't have a hiking buddy, look for local groups that do outtings and ask them for when they will be doing a trip that is suitable for beginners. Having an experienced "guide" with you is incredibly helpful!!

Have a good topographic map of the area in which you will be hiking and familiarize yourself with how to read it before you head out.

Print off trail descriptions.

Take your cell phone with you but leave it OFF so it doesnt wear down its battery "roaming". You will want it if you have an emergency --- believe it or not, you may actually get service on parts of your trip, especially on the summit!

I always hike with a copy of my drivers license and insurance card and a few dollars on my body somewhere (usually one of my many pants pockets).

Tell people where you will be hiking (exact names of trail(s) and where you plan on parking) as well as how long you plan on being gone.

Sign in and out at all trail registers!!!!!!!!

You will need a backpack of some sort and something to carry water in (plastic water bottles are light and crushable and Camelbak type bladders are handy but more expensive... Your call!).

You'll want a few of the water purification tablets at the least, just in case you underestimated your water needs and need to refill on-trail (drops or filter will be better, but tablets are cheapest and work in a pinch). NOTE: not all trails will have water on them! Plan on carrying extra if there is no access to water on your trail :)

Seeing how you hope to start in March, you will want a headlamp because the days are still short and if anything happens and you are outdoors longer than you planned, you will need light. I like my headlamp better than a flashlight because it leaves my hands free for scrambling up & over rocks.

You will want a compass & map... I got an inexpensive compass with a safety whistle, compartment for waterproof matches, and a itty bitty mirror for fixing your makeup ;) no hehe for signaling someone in case of an emergency :P Its with me on every trip in an outer pocket of my pack.

You probably won't use, but will appreciate greatly (they dont weigh much!) a metallic emergency blanket and a pack of hand warmers.

You'll want a basic first aid kit with some bandaids (variety of sizes), an ace bandage, alcohol wipes and some advil/tylenol

You will want a rain poncho or 2 large trash bags -- one for you, one for your pack.

You will want no NEEEEED quality wool hiking socks. Like the previous poster said, blisters turned to raw bleeding messes are NO FUN.

You will want trail food: nuts, craisins, fruit leathers, granola bars, a wrap style sandwich, little candies. Think energy. Think light and crush-resistant. Better to bring a little extra than not enough! I empty everything into little zipper bags before hand so i dont have to deal with wrappers on the trail ... the zipper bags do double duty for clean-up.

Which reminds me: you will need some toilet tissue and a zipper bag to bring it back in. Yep, not the most pleasant of things, but dont leave it beside the trail. Yuck.... And hand sanitizer wipes ;)

Not everyone uses, but i sure do appreciate, my trekking poles. You can probably find and stick on the trail if you need to, but if you plan on doing much hiking in the future, you might consider getting one or a pair. Coleman makes some that are like $12 ea and are perfect entry-level poles.

Since March is still winter, make sure your trails wont require snowshoes and/or crampons!! I do NOT recommend that sort of hike for a beginner! Better to wait till conditions have improved, IMO. I did a hike in November with my Microspikes and it was great to have them for that extra traction.... Microspikes are kinda for that in-between phase when there is SOME ice and snow, but not a TON of ice and snow. Be careful out there!!!

Dress in layers. No cotton. NOOOO COTTON.

Bring a camera :)

Take your time. Take rests when you need to. Its not a race to the summit! And remember: when you get to the summit, you are only half-way there! :)

Have fun!
  • LifesPilgrim
    LifesPilgrim Posts: 498 Member
    I would recommend pantyhose or nylon sock liners under the hiking socks. I did 22 miles in a weekend with no blisters (35 lb full pack), now I don't leave home any other way. Also make sure you have moleskin in your pack in case you do get blisters. Band Aid now has special blister bandages that are SUPPOSED to be real good, but moleskin is tried and true.

I love the camelback daypacks. Mine has held up for 5 years of HEAVY use and still almost looks brand new. If you don't want to spend that yet, I used my kid's school backpack for a long time.

Also, keep a bag of trail mix and light snacks in your pants pocket so you can have quick energy boosts on the trail.

Most importantly watch your pack weight. Water weighs about 2.2 lbs per liter plus the weight of the container. The heavier the pack, the more miserable the hike, even a day hike.

What is the weather like in March where you live? Buy a poncho at the dollar store in case it rains, that will give you and your gear extra protection.

Also make sure you have at least a decent pocket knife. You never know when or why you might need it.

Check for cell coverage where you are planning to go. I have ended up in a few places with no coverage.
  • Thanks anderson and adkwater gal for your wonderful advice on hiking. That is invaluable information!
This discussion has been closed.