lift heavy to lose fat?

Options
2»

Replies

• 12by311
    12by311 Posts: 1,716 Member
    Options
    heavy lifting isn't a weight loss activity.

Actually any activity is a "weight loss activity" if you are eating at a deficit.

Does running burn calories? Yep
    Does swimming? Yep
    Zumba? Yep
    Crossfit? Yep
    Breathing? Yep
    Pooping? Yep
  • sjaplo
    sjaplo Posts: 974 Member
    Options

U WOT M8?

huh

I believe the translation is "You What Mate?" Suggests to me he disagrees with you. lol!
  • solarpower03
    solarpower03 Posts: 12,161 Member
    Options
    Caloric deficit to lose fat. Lift heavy to maintain muscle mass while losing fat. Really any solid beginners lifting program is fine. I prefer the Ice Cream Fitness 5x5, but stronglifts is good as well as starting strength.

^This
  • silentKayak
    silentKayak Posts: 658 Member
    Options
    If your primary goal is weight loss, emphasize whole-body activities to preserve muscle while you lose fat. Most cardio activities are focused in the legs, so you should add upper body as well. I like rowing - my gym doesn't have a dedicated rowing machine, so I use a seated cable row station, set the weight very light (like 40 lbs), and row on it for 5 minutes without a break as if it were a cardio machine. Other good activities are swimming or boxing. You don't need to lift heavy to lose weight. Circuit training is good, too.

If you want to gain strength while you lose weight, lift heavier/fewer reps with the programs suggested in this thread. That won't massively help your weight loss goals, but has other benefits (including preserving muscle).

Also, your gym may have trainers available. If you can afford it, I highly recommend a few sessions with a pro to get you started.
  • Sam_I_Am77
    Sam_I_Am77 Posts: 2,093 Member
    Options
    Just find something like Starting Strength, StrongLifts 5x5, etc. The weight-lifting will help augment weight loss but by itself it won't help you lose weight if your nutrition isn't on-point. Can't exercise your way out of a bad diet unfortunately. Assuming nutrition is on-point, find something you like and have-at-it.

Edit: Also remember that bulking is more of a factor of excess calorie intake than anything. Also, bulking can often be related to size AND poor mobility. As you train make sure to do some mobility work such as Joe DeFranco's Agile 8 & Simple 6 which are free on YouTube.
  • MisterZ33
    MisterZ33 Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    Great responses in this thread, everyone.

Thank you.

after my workout last night, i checked out some of the machines and free weights i need in order to do the stronglifts 5x5 program. i visualized myself doing them.

i have 2 hips that need replacement surgery. i am a little fearful of hurting myself doing the deadlift as it appears to be too fluid a movement from start to finish than i am probably capaable of. are there any modifications for this particular exercise i could try?

thanks again.
  • Sam_I_Am77
    Sam_I_Am77 Posts: 2,093 Member
    Options
    Tough call, I'm definitely not a doctor. I guess it depends on how much your hips hurt you to be honest. I almost think that the squat my hurt your hips more than anything.

First, make sure you're doing some mobility work. DeFranco's Agile 8 or Limber 11 are really good and to be honest, I would do them twice per day even on days your don't lift. Do it once in the morning and once in the evening. You'll need a Lacrosse ball for either of them, but you can also use the Lax ball on your hips to really dig-in if you need.

Other than that, try each lift with just the bar and see how it goes. If it hurts then you may consider not squatting or deadlifting and maybe doing some lower body stabilization type work. Something like side step-ups and bring the alternate leg up into a frontal plane balance and holding it for 2 seconds, do that for 1-3 sets of 12-20 reps. Reverse lunge with a frontal balance, same set / rep scheme. That will use a fairly light load and possibly just bodyweight depending on the degree of difficulty, but that might help you regain some strength in your hip if needed. When in doubt, consult with an Orthodpedist or Sports Med doctor. As you lose weight, that may improve the issue with your hip.

Edit: Side-to-side Tube Walking may also help, you'll just need an exercise band with light to moderate resistance.