Anyone else keep changing their goal weight?

Options
Hey Pals,

A friend and I were talking about our weight loss journey's. She mentioned that every time we talk ( every 90 days or so) my goal weight/ size gets lower. When I originally set my goal I didn't get fixed on a scale number but a clothing size. I wanted to go from a 22/24 W to a 16 R. Once I reached a 16 I decided that a size 14 would look much better. So over all that was about 63 lbs ago praise God. Now I can't stop thinking how great I'd look/ feel in a size 8. The inner me says I don't think i'll ever be content or happy with any size- but the outer me says hey I've come a mighty long way. Just wondering if anyone else is having this same struggle?

Oh I'm 5'7 mid 30's

Replies

• jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    I think that is natural because you don't know how you are going to look/feel at a size until you get there, right? My first goal right now is to get to 154, the top of the healthy range for my height. Then it's 150, mostly because it's a nice number and if I do it by the end of the year it would be 52.5 pounds in 52 weeks. But then I'm probably just going to look for whatever weight I'm at when I'm happy with my midsection so who knows what it will be. I know it when I know it, is what I say :)
  • LetsHitGoals
    LetsHitGoals Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hey, :) I can relate to this post in a way because around June 2013 I weighed just over 16stone a lot of it would have been muscle mass as I go to the gym 5 days a week at least but I wasn't happy with the way I looked I was quite chubby and couldn't see an ab whatsoever fast forward and a couple of month I now weigh just under 14stone which is where I'd like to stay for now but look a heck of a lot leaner and feel so much better about myself not to mention I don't get out of breath going up the stairs now!:)

However, although I am happy with how I look for now there is always things I want to improve on! I want to put on more muscle mass for one and lean up a little more which all just times time!:)

So what I'm trying to say is.....(I'll get there eventually ;) ) everyone can always improve on their body and constantly strive to reach new goals which is what you've described in your question!:)

I wouldn't look at it as a struggle but a journey to a healthier happier better you then you were for example a year ago or a week ago or yesterday!:) I believe the moment we become truly "happy" or "satisfied" with what we see in the mirror that's when we apply the brakes and slacken off!! Usually leading to a path which takes us right back to where we started!:)

Sorry for the essay I got a little type happy, hope some of the above makes sense!!
  • dreamer12151
    dreamer12151 Posts: 1,031 Member
    Options
    Ten-4, ten-4! I know the "Official Charts" all say I should be around 114 - 144. but I know I probably won't be around there.

Years ago, when I was 18, I decided I wanted to join the US Army. Unfortunately, I weighed 50 pounds over what the "chart" said I should for my height. I joined a gym & met with a personal trainer, told her where I needed to be, she looked @ me, and said "Nope. I refuse. I mean, yes, we can get you there, to that number, but you won't be healthy. You would not be able to do the basic training. And once you start doing the BT, you are gonna start gaining muscle, which will increase your weight....which will get you discharged." I never joined up. (one of my regrets...)

Years later, my doctor said he would be happy to see me "down to 175, I think for your body, that will be a more attainable and maintainable healthy weight." So, that was my "goal weight". Now that I'm only about 4 lbs away from that....na, I think I can go lower, but what the eventual "number" will be, I dunno. It's more about a "feel", and I'm still not happy.

Recently work asked me to give my "success story" for the insurance programs. I said sure, Ill give it, but it's not a "before and after" as I'm still a work in progress....I'm not where I want to be, but at least I'm not where I was!
  • fuhrmeister
    fuhrmeister Posts: 1,796 Member
    Options
    I think mine will change when I reach my original goal of 150. I picked it b/c it's a round number at the top of my healthy weight range for my height. If I feel great at 160 I may stop if I think I'd feel/look better at 140 I may keep going. I'm not sure what 140-160 looks like on my body b/c I have been over 200lbs for so long.

I think as long as you are not unrealistic or being unhealthy you can keep changing your goal
  • MamaRiss
    MamaRiss Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    Mine is changing as well. I had set out with a goal of 130. Now that I'm 10 pounds away I see that i'm going to need to go lower than that to reach the "look" I want I could loose another 5 pounds in each thigh, and another 2-5 in my mid section. So I'm thinking 125 might give me the shape I want, but we'll see. 130 might be the right number,might not, who knows?
  • Veronnie87
    Veronnie87 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I have changed my goal weight in the opposite direction; I made it less instead of more. I weighed in the other morning at 168.8lbs and my goal weight is around 140lbs. With almost 30 lbs to lose I started feeling like I couldn't do it and I was losing motivation because I found that number daunting. I know that I need to focus on each day as it comes, etc. etc. but in order to help myself, I have set smaller goals. My new goal is now 160lbs and I plan to continue setting smaller goals like that in the future. That way I don't feel so overwhelmed and I can plan little (non-food-based!) rewards for myself after each 10lb goal achieved.

Who knows where it'll stop? I'm more concerned with feeling good and being comfortable with how I look than the actual weight. If I hit 150lbs and like how I look and feel there, then awesome, I have still achieved my goal! :) If I want to try to go lower than 140lbs (which I haven't been since high school!) then 5lb increments again isn't a hugely scary task.

I am fighting like crazy to stick with this. I have fallen off the wagon more times than I'm interested in counting but at least now I get up the next morning and start fresh. I WILL NOT GIVE UP.
  • hyg99
    hyg99 Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    Height 5'5 My initial goal was to be 147lb, my starting weight 203. As I got closer, dropped it to 140. Now cw 142. Can't wait to hit target but I already know that it isn't where I'll stop. I am actually happy with my size at a UK 10-12 but I think part of it is the fear of stopping and losing my way. So think I'll aim for 1lb a month...? My current bmi is 23. My 'ideal' weight is 133 according to various sites.