Fruits and Veggies

Options
What are your favorite fruits and veggies as a "go to" snack or side? I am fairly picky with fruits and veggies but I'm hoping to maybe get some ideas on things I have never tried. Some of the ones I like such as corn and bananas I just feel like they aren't "worth" the number of calories that they contain. I currently stick almost totally to steamed broccoli as some of my other favorites are about to be out of season (mainly tomatoes and watermelon). I do make a homemade vegetable soup that I just love but I don't have a lot of other ideas and I know I need to give up some of my preconceived notions about veggies that I've never even tried.

ETA: if you can also share any special tips on how you prepare or eat your favorites I'd appreciate that as well!

Replies

• besaro
    besaro Posts: 1,858 Member
    Options
    any vegetable roasted. simply put on a cookie sheet, sometimes the pan needs a quick spray with olive oil but if i can cook them without oil i do.

sliced cucumbers, apples, peaches.

I hear you about the changing season, every time a new season approaches i am like "waaa, no more fresh watermelon" but then i get excited cause yams! apples! squash! pears!
  • askeates
    askeates Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    I'm fairly picky about my tomatoe's, but have found that grape tomatoe's are excellent year round... I pay a little more and get the Cherub brand, and they are always good. That is also something I can just snack on when I need a snack during the day and don't have a lot of calories open after the days meal plan.

Another go to for me is asparagus. Oven roasted in a little EVOO, fresh garlic and cracked pepper, yum. It even reheats well. If I have time in the evening to prep a nice lunch for the next day, I will take the left over asparagus and chop it up into 1" pieces, cook some spiral pasta, throw in some baked or grilled chicken, black olives, a little parmesan and either zesty italian dressing or a bit of balsamic vinegar. It is great cold or heated up for the next days lunch.

I am finding that most veggies are pretty good prepared the way I do my asparagus, and my son will actually eat broccoli if I roast it that way as well. Best of luck.

Oh and for fruits, I'm really a berry person, I do strawberries, raspberries and blackberries more than anything else. Every now and again I will have apples or pineapple. I just find the berries (even during the winter months) easier to use.
  • prettychelly
    prettychelly Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    For fruits I usually eat all of them. Watermelon, apples, plums, pineapples, strawberries, half of a banana, grapes usually. I'm kinda picky with vegetables, but I'll eat broccoli, string beans, lots of spinach, cabbage, kale in smoothies, onions, carrots, celery, all peppers, tomatoes, squash, zucchini. I will not eat brussel sprouts, cauliflower, or mushrooms. But I'm pretty sure I'm missing other vegetables.

I prefer most of the vegetables raw but a lot of them can be steamed or add olive oil and/or seasonings for taste.
  • stacyjh1979
    stacyjh1979 Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    I'm fairly picky about my tomatoe's, but have found that grape tomatoe's are excellent year round... I pay a little more and get the Cherub brand, and they are always good. That is also something I can just snack on when I need a snack during the day and don't have a lot of calories open after the days meal plan.

I LOVE the Cherub brand grape tomatoes! They are good all year long I couldn't agree more!
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    For fruit I stick to apples, pears, berries, apricots and peaches. I never have them alone though, or it doesn't fill me up one bit, but with yogurt or something, it's fine.

Veggies, typically I buy frozen veggies and just add seasoning on them after I microwave them. If I buy fresh, I love cauliflower, mashed cauliflower, zucchini or yellow squash casseroles, zucchini 'noodles', roasted/sauteed anything...