Does it matter what you eat ?

Options
Does it make a difference if you eat 1,500 calories at McDonalds or 1,500 calories of clean food when losing weight ? I know, clean food is better for your health, but I'm just asking in terms of losing weight, does it matter if I eat 1,500 calories of burgers or 1,500 calories of salad and apples everyday ?Cause someone actually lost 37 lbs eating only at McDonalds: http://sploid.gizmodo.com/man-loses-37-pounds-by-eating-exclusively-at-mcdonalds-1496972541

Replies

• I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member
    Options
    No, in an individual with no underlying medical conditions, it does not matter for weight loss.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    For your health, Hell, yes, it matters.

For weight loss, No, not a bit. You can lose eating anything. The biggest problem with junk food, as related to weight loss, is that you'll be so much hungrier. You can eat a lot more lettuce and apples that you can peanut butter cups and ice cream.

A bunch of people will pick on you for using the word "clean." Some get very personally offended by that word and throw temper tantrums over it, lol.
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    IN for shenanigans and gifs.

For weightloss, no, CICO. If you're in a deficit, you're in a defect.

For health, meet your macros and you can mix in "dirty food" in moderation.
  • KylaDenay
    KylaDenay Posts: 1,585 Member
    Options
    No it does not, but if you would like to hit your macro and micro targets, you will want to have some whole foods mixed in your diet.

I eat all the foods.
  • onelovejenn
    Options
    you can eat a LOT more healthy food for the same amount of calories you could eat McDonalds for. Me, I hate to be hungry and I think eating my 1230 allowed calories in McDonalds food would keep me craving more and very hungry.
  • jrline
    jrline Posts: 2,353 Member
    Options
    No it makes no difference in weightloss. It will make a difference in your energy levels. The best diet is one you will be able to follow so if an occasional MCD day works for you then do it. Good Luck

29509743.png
  • tquill
    tquill Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    Does it make a difference if you eat 1,500 calories at McDonalds or 1,500 calories of clean food when losing weight ? I know, clean food is better for your health, but I'm just asking in terms of losing weight, does it matter if I eat 1,500 calories of burgers or 1,500 calories of salad and apples everyday ?Cause someone actually lost 37 lbs eating only at McDonalds: http://sploid.gizmodo.com/man-loses-37-pounds-by-eating-exclusively-at-mcdonalds-1496972541

It seems you answered your own question.
  • afortunatedragon
    afortunatedragon Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    Well...

Of course you can eat only McD or BurgerKing or KFC or whatever their names are..

Very basically you lose weight if you burn more, than you eat.

So you also can lose weight by eating 2x 100g chocolate bars a day. But nothing else.

But do you want that?

I see my weightloss as a chance for a new healthy lifestyle.
    So junk food only in very restricted doses. Not much sweet stuff and trying to cook myself so I know exactly what I eat.

Even while losing weight your nody should get everything he needs. And that he can certainly not find in McD.

There is actually a very good doku about a guy eating only junk food and what it did to his body. Including lab tests and so on...
  • becess96
    becess96 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    you can eat a LOT more healthy food for the same amount of calories you could eat McDonalds for. Me, I hate to be hungry and I think eating my 1230 allowed calories in McDonalds food would keep me craving more and very hungry.

That's so true, for people that are never hungry it might be alright but I'm always hungry, I could EASILY eat 10,000 calories a day like some bodybuilders do on YouTube on their cheat days, and I could do it everyday, I swear lol I keep my stomach full by drinking lots of water and eating like half an apple then an hour later the other half, otherwise I'd starve myself
  • La5Vega5Girl
    La5Vega5Girl Posts: 709 Member
    Options
    For your health, Hell, yes, it matters.

For weight loss, No, not a bit. You can lose eating anything. The biggest problem with junk food, as related to weight loss, is that you'll be so much hungrier. You can eat a lot more lettuce and apples that you can peanut butter cups and ice cream.

A bunch of people will pick on you for using the word "clean." Some get very personally offended by that word and throw temper tantrums over it, lol.

^^^ i agree with this. esp about the hunger factor. healthier foods tend to keep you fuller longer than something like ice cream, after which most people have a sugar crash and get hungrier. harder to stay within calories.
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options

That's so true, for people that are never hungry it might be alright but I'm always hungry, I could EASILY eat 10,000 calories a day like some bodybuilders do on YouTube on their cheat days, and I could do it everyday, I swear lol I keep my stomach full by drinking lots of water and eating like half an apple then an hour later the other half, otherwise I'd starve myself

Those aren't their cheat days. They're bulking for a reason.
  • I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member
    Options
    The man lost weight and lowered his cholesterol eating at a calorie deficit with balanced macros. He ate beef, chicken, fish, bread, cheese, vegetables,etc... It just all happened to be from McDonalds. I think the point is that food is food, just because it was from a fast food restaurant doesn't make it "junk". It won't make you unhealthy or cause weight gain, the over consumption of it will, just like any food.
  • tquill
    tquill Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    ^^^ i agree with this. esp about the hunger factor. healthier foods tend to keep you fuller longer than something like ice cream, after which most people have a sugar crash and get hungrier. harder to stay within calories.

How dare you talk bad about ice cream! It's man's greatest invention, second only to air conditioning of course.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    It might make a difference for you personally, if it affects how you feel or how easily you can sustain the calorie restriction.

In theory, if you really keep all else equal, it shouldn't make a significant difference (there are slight differences in how much of the total calories from food you actually take on, vs. using up in digestion and so on). However, that's more theoretical than how it works in practice for people, just as most people (anyone not doing an experiment, IMO) don't eat 100% broccoli or 100% bananas or 100% cookies or 100% Big Macs.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options

I don't think I ever "pick on" anyone, let alone for using the term "clean" for food. However, although I didn't happen to even notice it this time until Kalikel commented, it's true that I think it's an unfortunate and quite silly word to use to describe food. Usually what people mean is "nutrient dense" food, but it gets confusing because some use it to mean food that is not whatever arbitrary thing they've decided people shouldn't eat, like anything containing grains or added sugar or even dairy or saturated fat or the like. It's confusing and relies on the premise that others are eating "unclean" foods, which sounds a bit Levitical for a discussion of nutrition.
  • alska
    alska Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    no, but yes lol you can eat whatever as long as you don't go over your calories ...

but if you eat junk you will be hungry all the time ... n feel like you're stravin when really you will be. 300-400 calories for 1 slice of pizza ... n still be hungry .. or a HUGE salad with some meat (trukey or whatever) n cheese n dressing ... n you'll be stuffed for hours .... n it may be 300-400 calories.
  • sodakat
    sodakat Posts: 1,126 Member
    Options
    I'm just enjoying all the "no, but..." responses!
  • NOW_is_my_time
    Options
    Nope, it doesn't matter. I proved it several years ago.
  • vismal
    vismal Posts: 2,463 Member
    Options
    I agree with everyone else that purely for weight loss it does not matter. I will however add to this. If you ate 1500 calories of McDonalds I would say that you would probably have a high probability of eventually not sticking to your diet. 1500 calories of fast food is likely to be much less satiating then if you ate fruits, vegetables, lean meats, fiber, etc. While 1500 calories is 1500 calories, you need to think about the likelihood of adhering to your plan as well. If the amount of food you get is going to be insufficient for your appetite then your odds of eating more then 1500 calories increase.