University Gym Has No Barbell

Options
2»

Replies

• No_Finish_Line
    No_Finish_Line Posts: 3,661 Member
    Options
    one legged squats are an option, and it would be quite awhile before you'd have to add any weight, if you even got to that point.

pistol squats are very hard

how does one fill a barbell with meat heads?

you know what would be truely bad *kitten*? if you went into the meat head room, grabbed the barbell, and took it back to your comfort zone lol
  • Terri6627
    Terri6627 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Coming from a fellow college girl who was scared out of her mind to enter into the "forbidden guy zone", I feel where you are coming from. It's true that it is intimidating, but eventually you are just going to have to suck it up and go. Yeah it may be awkward the first few times you go in and yeah a few of them might stare, but you honestly just have to get over it.

I know it's scary, but most things worth doing in life are. So get in there and do it!

It's terrifying! And I know, I'm working on it. I'm going when there's almost no one there right now, and eventually I'll start going when there's more people.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    No one is staring at you.

You should break up.

Do you even squat bro?
  • Terri6627
    Terri6627 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    you know what would be truely bad *kitten*? if you went into the meat head room, grabbed the barbell, and took it back to your comfort zone lol

Ya I'm sooooo not allowed to do that. There's big signs everywhere that say gym equipment must remain in the room. I'd also have to take 50 lbs of weights haha.
  • lishie_rebooted
    lishie_rebooted Posts: 2,973 Member
    Options
    I enjoy how everyone is assuming all I do is cardio and Zumba. Nuh uh. When I'm at the gym (every other day), it's a cardio warm up and the rest is all strength exercises. The other days are when I do cardio.

Actually no one assumed you did Zumba.
    He mentioned that the guys you're calling meatheads are probably friendlier than the ladies in a Zumba class. Not saying that you do Zumba but that if you were to a cardio class that was predominantly females, they'd more than likely be less friendly and talk smack than the guys in the predominantly male section of the gym. Because let's face it, females tend to be cattier than males. Not all, obviously. But some. I've met some pretty catty dudes too...
  • lishie_rebooted
    lishie_rebooted Posts: 2,973 Member
    Options

No, that wouldn't be badass at all. That'd be super obnoxious to the people in that room who want the barbell.
    Especially since she's clarified that the barbell is in one building and her comfort zone is in another building through a tunnel
  • Jacwhite22
    Jacwhite22 Posts: 7,012 Member
    Options
    meatheads huh? You should go to planet fitness....They have a lunk free zone.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    I'm aware that I shouldn't care and I should be able to use that gym. However I'm uncomfortable and I am working on that. So everyone telling me to just go over there, I know. I'm working on that. All I wanted was an exercise to replace the one I lost from my previous workout routine. I now have that. So thank you but this is getting off topic.

I'm also aware I should not have said meat head, will not happen again. I'm just used to women only gyms so being stared at by people while working out made me highly uncomfortable and not likely to think well of the people who did it.

the only way you get comfortable doing it is by doing it. not looking for ways around it.

It's a lifting room- people at stare at people- trust me- they actually don't care at you- you're just a new thing in the place- so people will watch then a new thing comes into a regular rotation.

Also- lifting has a different vibe- there is a lot more down time.

Really the only way to get over your uncomfortableness is by being uncomfortable and just doing it- it gets comfortable through repetition.

goblet squats
    DB squats
    pistol squats
    bulgarian split squats
    walking lunges

and how do you dead lift if you don't have a barbell?
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    I enjoy how everyone is assuming all I do is cardio and Zumba. Nuh uh. When I'm at the gym (every other day), it's a cardio warm up and the rest is all strength exercises. The other days are when I do cardio.

Actually no one assumed you did Zumba.
    He mentioned that the guys you're calling meatheads are probably friendlier than the ladies in a Zumba class. Not saying that you do Zumba but that if you were to a cardio class that was predominantly females, they'd more than likely be less friendly and talk smack than the guys in the predominantly male section of the gym. Because let's face it, females tend to be cattier than males. Not all, obviously. But some. I've met some pretty catty dudes too...

exactly.
  • uconnwinsnc1
    uconnwinsnc1 Posts: 902 Member
    Options
    You'd be surprised, but I'd bet dollars to donuts that those meatheads are going to be more helpful and friendly than you'd imagine. While all the smiling ladies in Zumba probably say horrible things about you soon as you leave the room.

Most frat guys that lift are generally scrubs.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    We all just wanna get swole. Let's all be friends bro.