What regional dishes do you miss from back home?

Options
As a Brit expat living in France (via Canada, Switzerland, Czech Republic, and Poland), the one thing I really miss and which I just can't replicate is my Mum's hot bilberry pie with double cream.
Wild bilberries are related to blueberries but have a flavour and colour all of their own. When I was a kid we would head out onto the North Yorkshire moorland in late August to pick them. The plants are hard to cultivate as they only grow in very acidic nutrient poor soil and are only found in a few select areas of the UK. I have occasionally found bilberries in jars imported from Poland but these are a fairly poor substitute imho. I have no family left in the area and haven't been back for about 15 years but if I did I'd make sure I synchronized my trip with the bilberry season!

All the other regional dishes I can make a pretty good go of but this one escapes me and it just happens to be my favourite. :(

Replies

• knitapeace
    knitapeace Posts: 1,013 Member
    Options
    I can't get a Rubio's fish taco or anything resembling real North Carolina barbecue living in New York. <sigh>
  • sprintto50
    sprintto50 Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    Really, truly fresh lobsters, fish and mussels. A maritimer living in Ontario.
  • 5stringjeff
    5stringjeff Posts: 790 Member
    Options
    There's almost no Tex-Mex in Georgia. :frown:
  • nicsflyingcircus
    nicsflyingcircus Posts: 2,566 Member
    Options
    Saskatoon berries. We could (and would) pick them wild as kids growing up in Alberta, but sadly, Alabama does not contain such things.
  • aeb09
    aeb09 Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    Chicago native now living in New Jersey. Sorry NY/NJ, Chicago pizza is far, far superior. (Also Chicago-style hot dogs are missed, too.)
  • onefortyone
    onefortyone Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    Brit living in Wisconsin. Dying for bangers and mash, but the sausages are all wrong!
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Fried Catfish with Cheese Grits---I am missing the deep South right now.
  • KameHameHaaaa
    KameHameHaaaa Posts: 837 Member
    Options
    Recently moved from the north to the south. I miss the pierogies, the street vendors, the authentic international food stuffs like lomo saltado and platanos con crema. The bbq and comfort food down here is nice, but the area I live in needs a little more variety mixed in.
  • 52cardpickup
    52cardpickup Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    Canadian living in the Boston area. I miss real poutine (not cheese and gravy fries!), good Vietnamese food at 2 a.m., all the Canadian/British candy I can't get down here, and Tim Hortons!