soooo nervous

Options
Wazzzzup.

So I am running my first 5km race tomorrow night. I am crazy nervous. I really have no idea what to expect.

Any tips or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Replies

• Jennifer_Lynn_1982
    Options
    Oh I hear you...I've run only 2 x 10km races so I'm no expert but I found the time of day for the run a complete change from my regular running times so that was a huge change for me - I used to run at night and races are always in the morning.

I'd recommend setting up your clothes and outfit the night before, plan your breakfast and get up a bit early so you have lots of time to get hydrated (and have time to pee). If its cool in the morning bring a long sleeve shirt or sweater that you don't mind throwing to the sidelines right before the run starts so you can stay warm before the race.

Good luck!! and remember to only race against yourself, don't be alarmed if you get passed just go at your pace.
  • s_pekz
    s_pekz Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    I run at night and my race is at night so I have that going for me
  • Jennifer_Lynn_1982
    Options
    I run at night and my race is at night so I have that going for me

Lucky!!
  • ShibaEars
    ShibaEars Posts: 3,928 Member
    Options
    Don't eat any new foods, or eat foods that you know don't agree with you. Stay hydrated throughout the day, and give yourself ample time to get there, get parking and (if you're like me) use the bathroom a couple times lol.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    I've only done a few races but here's what I've learned:

1) If it's timed and they have areas to separate people by pace, please pick the one appropriate to you. Those who run faster tend to be super competitive and want to make the best finish time they can and get frustrated with people holding them up. I was actually elbowed in one race!

2) The first mile is going to be strange. Lots of people all running different paces. Try to keep your own natural pace. If you start "racing" with people (meaning running faster than usual just to keep up with the crowd), you're going to get worn out very quickly. It's natural to do so definitely something you need to be aware and conscious of.

3) Don't bother with water breaks if you can manage - it's a crazy jumble of people.

4) Don't be afraid to stop and walk if you have to but glance behind you and/or move over to the side first so people don't run into you.

And finally, don't worry about what you look like or how you're doing. These events are full of folks at several different levels. Just enjoy!! My favorite part is people watching and catching snippets of conversations. :)

Have fun!
  • LosinMama66
    Options
    Wazzzzup.

So I am running my first 5km race tomorrow night. I am crazy nervous. I really have no idea what to expect.

Any tips or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Good luck. I'll be cheering as I hate to run...lol
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    left foot right foot.
    left foot right foot.
  • _HeartsOnFire_
    _HeartsOnFire_ Posts: 5,304 Member
    Options
    left foot right foot.
    left foot right foot.

This and pee before it starts!
  • s_pekz
    s_pekz Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    left foot right foot.
    left foot right foot.

Will do. Pee first, beer after. thats how it all works right?
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    For me it does.

I run to get to the beer.
  • jessicagrieshaber
    jessicagrieshaber Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    First of all, congratulations on signing up for your first race! You're going to love it!

From what I found, there are going to be a ton of people with varying fitness abilities. Per a previous suggestion, stick to your own fitness level! Do not feel like just because someone else is running faster than you, that you have to up your speed. You will tire yourself out and it will be an unpleasant process!

Go at your own pace, and have fun! Remember - the first few times, it's not about time (although in the future it could become), just about finishing. Try to complete the race without walking.

And always remember.... Mind over matter!

Good luck :smile:
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    left foot right foot.
    left foot right foot.

Will do. Pee first, beer after. thats how it all works right?

Pretty much. And don't start out too fast. Good luck!