How important are fat and carbs?

Options
I've been using MFP for a couple months now. I'm targeted at 1200 calories a day. I'm a 5'9" 32 y/o male with a desk job, so somewhat sedentary, current weight around 135-140, with a goal of not necessarily losing weight or gaining muscle mass. I just want to be tight and trim....lean I guess would be the word.

My diet consists mostly of fresh fruit, baked poultry, hard boiled eggs, and spinach. Over the course of a week I average 10-20 miles on the stationary bike, 1200 various crunches, and 12-16 sets of 40 pushups. I don't log my regular walking or anything like that.

Most days I meet the 1200, sometimes 100 or so under, and on over days I'm usually about 300 calories or so over. As far as calories, protein, sugar, and sodium I seem to be meeting the goals . My fiber and cholesterol also seem to be within a good range. However, my carbs and fat often come up short (sometimes far short of the amount MFP says I need). I do notice myself having sugar cravings about every 3 days or so even though by MFPs count I'm usually over on sugars (due to the fruit).

Given this information, is the shortage of carbs and fat a bad thing? I have had noticeable weight loss over the months but my abs are starting to look great and I feel fine, other than the sugar cravings and irritability that comes with them.

Replies

• sljohnson1207
    sljohnson1207 Posts: 818 Member
    Options
    Well if you lose fat without building muscle, you are going to weigh less, and though your BMI is in normal range, I can't understand why you are eating so few calories? Seems to me you could meet your goals by eating more and working off the fat with lifting heavy weights, plus some cardio.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    First off, there is no reason for a man to be eating 1200 calories. Up your calories to maintenance and look into a body recomposition including heavy lifting.

If you're too low in fat, you could be losing out on nutrients to keep your body running.
  • kshadows
    kshadows Posts: 1,315 Member
    Options
    I've been using MFP for a couple months now. I'm targeted at 1200 calories a day. I'm a 5'9" 32 y/o male with a desk job, so somewhat sedentary, current weight around 135-140, with a goal of not necessarily losing weight or gaining muscle mass. I just want to be tight and trim....lean I guess would be the word.

My diet consists mostly of fresh fruit, baked poultry, hard boiled eggs, and spinach. Over the course of a week I average 10-20 miles on the stationary bike, 1200 various crunches, and 12-16 sets of 40 pushups. I don't log my regular walking or anything like that.

Most days I meet the 1200, sometimes 100 or so under, and on over days I'm usually about 300 calories or so over. As far as calories, protein, sugar, and sodium I seem to be meeting the goals . My fiber and cholesterol also seem to be within a good range. However, my carbs and fat often come up short (sometimes far short of the amount MFP says I need). I do notice myself having sugar cravings about every 3 days or so even though by MFPs count I'm usually over on sugars (due to the fruit).

Given this information, is the shortage of carbs and fat a bad thing? I have had noticeable weight loss over the months but my abs are starting to look great and I feel fine, other than the sugar cravings and irritability that comes with them.

Fat is necessary for bodily functions, just like protein is. Carbs are important but not quite as much. BUT, 1200 calories a day for a male at your height is ridiculously low...MFP is notorious for under estimating... check out this link for some info http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants
  • Walter__
    Walter__ Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    5'9 135

You definitely need to gain weight. Eat a lot and lift hard. You'll look 100x better at 170 5'9 lean than 5'9 135 scrawny.