Craving the crap

Options

Replies

• FeefWV
    FeefWV Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Hi. It's hard to not crave sweets. Just don't buy the stuff. If you are still at work, take along some fresh vegetables and snack on those during the day with some hummus. An apple with 2 Tbsp of peanut butter. Popcorn - (air popped - no added salt). There are so many choices out there. Try to stick to 3 oz of protein and a non-starchy vegetable for dinner. For dessert try fruit and 1 oz of cheese. Don't forget that fresh fruits and fresh vegetables also have "natural" sugar to them. Try to stick to the Low Glycemic fruits and vegies. Do not beat yourself up over this. You have proven you can lose. Do not go back to your old ways. Good luck to you!
  • happyfeetrebel1
    happyfeetrebel1 Posts: 1,005 Member
    Options
    Try the Fiber One bars... There are a bunch of chocolately varieties, and they work for me when I have a sweet craving. Also, sometimes in the afternoon instead of having a cookies or candy, I'll eat an instant oatmeal... It's sweet and not as damaging. If you do the bars, eat them slowly... the satisfaction goes farther that way.

I love these. LOVE them

Unfortunately, they are uh...a bit 'explosive' when I eat them. I think it's the Chicory root that they use for fiber :(

Hubby and I, neither of us can tolerate them, our daughter is fine with them. I know of at least one other person who gets very very gassy when she eats them.

So..if you DO eat them, they are delicious. Start SLOW!
  • FeefWV
    Options
    Donna, I absolutely agree with you. Protein has to be a part of breakfast for me too.
  • FeefWV
    Options
    same here
  • SabrinaLily
    Options
    I take my daily vitamins in the morning and I swear they help- one in particular. I think some of it is up for scientific debate BUT, even if it is a placebo effect, I don't mind because for me, it's working and I'm staying off the sweets. I take Wholemega fish oil, a slow release iron, a multivitamin AND, my FAVORITE one that I swear helps with sweets is Nature's Bounty (I believe, bottle is at home) Cinnamon plus chromium. The chromium is the key in that one. I hear other people say cinnamon helps with weight loss, not sure if that's true but it's the same cost to buy chromium separately or with the cinnamon so I figured hey, why not.

And I always try to tell myself, I'm not going to have missed this treat tomorrow, though I may regret it if I eat it today.
  • Lottiotta
    Lottiotta Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    If I had a 200 kcal smoothie for breakfast I'd be craving sweets and carbs all day. Sugary smoothies don't fill me up properly. I try to go for a bit of fruit and a lot of protein and that usually works well.
  • FitOldMomma
    FitOldMomma Posts: 790 Member
    Options
    Perhaps eating more at breakfast and lunch you'd be less likely to want to binge on sweets later in the day?
    There's not a thing wrong with eating sweets, as long as you're eating at a deficit. Right this minute I'm noshing on 12 Hershey Kisses, lol.

I do notice though that on days that my breakfast consists of mostly carbs, I'll crave them the rest of the day. (Today!)

Maybe start your day with eggs or other protein and save your sweet fruit smoothie for a late afternoon snack?
  • SteampunkSongbird
    SteampunkSongbird Posts: 826 Member
    Options
    I eat some kind of sweetie most days, I simply can't cut them out of my diet, I crave them too much and it makes me think about them all the time, I tried replacing them with fruit and stuff but it just didn't work for me. I'm quite happy to have a sweetie or bit of chocolate every day, or some biscuits or bit of cake, whatever; so long as I don't go over my calories and I'm still getting nutrition from other foods, I don't feel a need to beat myself up over my love of sugary treats.
  • Losing4real
    Options
    Thanks I do find having good health snacks during the day has worked in the past. I had not taken that into consideration. :smile:
  • Losing4real
    Options
    Thanks. I like the idea of pre planning the day before. Makes sense and probably would save me time an anguish. Thanks!
  • Losing4real
    Options
    Thanks! I have not been taking my vitamins. I will have to look into the ones you have mention.
  • Losing4real
    Options
    Thanks
  • Losing4real
    Options
    Thank you. Perhaps paying attention to serving sizes and not getting rid of sweets altogether is key.
  • Losing4real
    Options
    Thanks for reminding me not to beat myself up.
  • Losing4real
    Options
    Thank you.
  • Losing4real
    Options
    Great point.Thanks
  • utfreetoski
    Options
    Along with all the awesome suggestions here I might also throw out there that protein, which helps curb appetite, doesn't always have to be meat... or taste like crap.

A lot of my protein bars have a chocolate covering, which helps curb my sugar cravings without pulling me off my healthy eating. I also find that if I mix a protein powder (1 scoop of chocolate or cookies n cream by muscle milk is my current fav.) with a tablespoon of peanut butter, 6 or 7 cubes of ice and enough water to get it all to mix. It tastes like a shake while still being very nutritious.

Remember its not a diet... its a lifestyle choice. If you make it a diet it tells you that it has an end where as healthy eating is a life long commitment.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Everyday I have a treat or two. It's all in the budgeting.
  • Losing4real
    Options
    Thanks to everyone who took the time to reply. I got some really good tips and motivation. :love:
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,741 Member
    Options
    Sugar and sodium don't make you gain weight. Overeating makes you gain weight. It sounds as though you're eating very low calories and strictly depriving yourself, so you're binging in reaction to it. If you have a big sweet tooth and aren't allergic to peanuts, try something like a Snicker's bar in the afternoon halfway between lunch and dinner to scratch the sweet tooth itch, get some protein in and not go nuts at night. Also try having dinner earlier and planning the meals out in advance so that you know exactly what you're having (I like my slow cooker for this reason!). HTH!

I agree with this. While I do try to limit sugar & sodium to an extent, I find that getting plenty of protein is SUPER important for me when it comes to satisfaction. If I haven't eaten quite enough over the course of a day, I will crave chocolate at night and if I eat a piece of chocolate it's not satisfying and I just want six more pieces. But if I stop and have something higher in protein such as a few nuts, string cheese, or an egg...I either feel great with just 1 piece of chocolate, or sometimes don't even want the chocolate after all. It's almost amazing to me how well it works. Same with breakfast. I must start my day with an egg or some plain Greek yogurt, even if I mix in fruit or have other stuff with them...I am not satisfied with just a fruit smoothie tbh...and I do eat low cal breakfasts, typically between 150-225 calories. Good luck, OP!