reasons for certain diets

Options
2»

Replies

• MLReid13
    Options
    I just love that the food you chose for your post is pineapples. I have two friends who refuse to eat them.

One tells people he doesn't like the flavor and everyone challenges him.

The other friend tells people that the reason pineapple has a slight burn to it when you eat it is because of an enzyme that is dissolving your salivary glands and he won't eat a food that is eating him back :laugh:
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    no, in real life. family/friends have said things and i just found it interesting. even if do see a meme on pineapples causing cancer and i want to stay away from them, isn't that my business, even if isn't valid??

It's your business, but why would you want it to be when it's invalid?

When people make baseless decisions, it shouldn't surprise them when other don't support them.

/Thread
  • shexy16
    Options
    Pineapple hurts my mouth, I can't eat it. And I'm vegetarian because I love animals, not for my own health.

I hate celery cause its bitter and stringy.

And I hate heavy fried stuff that gives me heartburn.
  • shexy16
    Options
    YES, pineapple hurts my mouth....bad!!!!! I can't stand that!
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options
    no, in real life. family/friends have said things and i just found it interesting. even if do see a meme on pineapples causing cancer and i want to stay away from them, isn't that my business, even if isn't valid??

I don't see why it isn't a valid reason, even if it's not true. If you don't want to eat pineapple for any reason, that's your business.

Now, if you start suggesting that others shouldn't eat it, or that it's unhealthy for everyone, that would be different.
  • bigsistruck
    bigsistruck Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    i find it interesting that people will respond differently to you and your dietary selections based on your reasoning. for example: if i say that i have a disease and i can't eat pineapple or i will die, everyone is fine and supportive of my avoiding pineapple. or if someone is a vegan because they have a moral objections to eating animals, people are usually tolerant of that type of "reason." but if i just choose not to eat pineapple (or fish, or chicken or eggs...) then suddenly i feel that opens me to everyone giving me their opinions or chastising me for my choices. even family or friends who know me well. i'm not sure why it matters? shouldn't we all be supportive of each other?

^THIS. I totally agree, I have been ridiculed on here because I absolutely can't stand vegetables, but it's not like I WANT to hate them! Trust me, I wish I loved them like I love chocolate! But I've tried and I can't. =(
  • SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage
    Options

It's your business, but why would you want it to be when it's invalid?

When people make baseless decisions, it shouldn't surprise them when other don't support them.

/Thread

There have been many instances in the past where we've been told something is perfectly safe and concerns are baseless, years later.....whoops, people were right. Just look up Thalidomide. Yes, I understand that's an extreme example, but my point is that if someone choses to eat gluten free when not celiac, or anything else for that matter, because it makes them feel better and are not pushing it down your throat or touting it as gospel, why should anyone else care? Yes, I admit a lot of these diets have become fads, but some people actually do feel better eating a certain way.

Something that may be "baseless" now may be proven otherwise years down the road.