makeover

Options
Hi I am new to this and thought I need to do something about my weight so here I am.

At the moment I am 5ft6 and did weigh 10st10 4 days ago. Today I weigh 10st 7 so i think it's working already!

The problem with me is a carry all my weight on my stomach and thighs, when i sit down i just have a huge belly that makes me completely paranoid.

So now I have made the decision that I want to look like a completely different person by July this year. I want to be 9st 7 and i want to go from Brunette to Honey Blonde!

I really want this to work, and want to my belly to disappear, I am trying sit-ups (even though I hate them) but if anyone has advice that would be great

I hope you all acheive your goals, and i hope i will. I am very determined so I think i may do! but any advice on how to do it and keep it off would be perfect

Thanks
Laura

Replies

• larousse_37
    Options
    Hi I am new to this and thought I need to do something about my weight so here I am.

At the moment I am 5ft6 and did weigh 10st10 4 days ago. Today I weigh 10st 7 so i think it's working already!

The problem with me is a carry all my weight on my stomach and thighs, when i sit down i just have a huge belly that makes me completely paranoid.

So now I have made the decision that I want to look like a completely different person by July this year. I want to be 9st 7 and i want to go from Brunette to Honey Blonde!

I really want this to work, and want to my belly to disappear, I am trying sit-ups (even though I hate them) but if anyone has advice that would be great

I hope you all acheive your goals, and i hope i will. I am very determined so I think i may do! but any advice on how to do it and keep it off would be perfect

Thanks
    Laura

Hi Laura!!
    It's so impressive that you've decided to make changes and have made attainable goals. If I'm correct, you're trying to lose a stone, which is 14 lbs?? Very attainable in 6 months :-) and slow weight loss is better for your body and will stay off for longer. I also love the idea of a new image, perhaps have that as a reward to keep you motivated!

They say that the majority of weight loss is affected by what you put in your mouth (something like 10% genetics, 15% exercise and 75% food), so stick to your MFP diary and perhaps cut down on your carbs a little and increase your protein (I usually aim to have a carb free dinner at least, as I get particularly bloated if I eat too many carbs in a day). You could also try to cut down on your added sugars etc, In the end it's really up to you.

In order to lose belly flab, you need to do cardio. Sit ups will tone up your belly muscles, but you have to lose fat first before you can see the results. Go for an hour long walk every day, or whatever you're familiar with. On top of that if you do toning exercises, it will increase your muscle mass and that in turn will assist your body to burn more fat. Things like squats, lunges, bicep curls and sit ups etc. If you're new to exercise it might help to have a few sessions with a personal trainer at the gym, so you can learn a few techniques and ensure you're exercising in a safe manner. Best of luck with your journey to health and happiness!!!
  • meggonkgonk
    meggonkgonk Posts: 2,066 Member
    Options
    So I really don't want to put you off doing crunches, cuz they are great exercise for toning and general core strength, but I just want you to be conscious of the fact that you can't spot lose fat. Your body decides how to distribute it depending on your body fat %. Your best bet is to start slow with some cardio (20 min of walking a day?), some core and strength training (crunches, pushups, squats). Cardio burns a lot quickly, and strength builds muscle that burns more while you are at rest.

Welcome and good luck!
  • lolw811
    lolw811 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    thanks for the advice.

I have been trying to think of low carb foods i Can eat as I am vegetarian, So my diet is normally baked potatoes but it scares me when I see how many carbs it has in it.

It seems everything i eat is carbs but low in fat. So confused!!

I love Quorn but again like eating potatos with it as its quite boring to eat on its own!!
  • meggonkgonk
    meggonkgonk Posts: 2,066 Member
    Options
    I would focus on getting your calories in check and then maybe worry more about your carb intake or whatever else concerns you. I go over on carbs and protein like everyday and I'm still losing pretty consistently and toning pretty well. There's studies all the time about people who eat only twinkies or only McD's or excessive fats, and still lose. So do the best you can, keep your cals in check while you search out less carby foods if that makes you feel more balanced and whatnot, but carbs won't keep you from progressing.