memorial day weekend panic

pmd14
pmd14 Posts: 232 Member
Does anyone have any ideas how to "be good" over this holiday weekend??
It's time for hamburgers, hot dogs, beer and all that other good stuff that comes with barbecues.
I know eat before you go, don't eat the bread, snack on vegetables but come on now lets be real that only works on paper not in real life.
I have been trying to be extra good and exercise a lot but I am sooooo afraid I will just go wild this weekend and set my self up for the usual. Every summer I start off good and then half way through give up and say the hell with it and I'll start anew in september but in the long run that why I never get below 200 pounds.
Sorry to sound so defeated but it's my experience. I'm "good" and excited for just so long then I'm back to my old ways. I just can't get a handle on "this is a way of life"

Replies

• pmd14
    pmd14 Posts: 232 Member
    Does anyone have any ideas how to "be good" over this holiday weekend??
    It's time for hamburgers, hot dogs, beer and all that other good stuff that comes with barbecues.
    I know eat before you go, don't eat the bread, snack on vegetables but come on now lets be real that only works on paper not in real life.
    I have been trying to be extra good and exercise a lot but I am sooooo afraid I will just go wild this weekend and set my self up for the usual. Every summer I start off good and then half way through give up and say the hell with it and I'll start anew in september but in the long run that why I never get below 200 pounds.
    Sorry to sound so defeated but it's my experience. I'm "good" and excited for just so long then I'm back to my old ways. I just can't get a handle on "this is a way of life"
  • beep
    beep Posts: 1,242 Member
    Use it as your cheat day. I did that last Sunday, as we had a big graduation party for our son, and I definitely overate, had the cake and all, and now, Thursday, I have lost another pound.

Now, I'm not saying overeat, as that did not feel good the next few days, but enjoy yourself. You may want to provide a filler for yourself, like a sugar-free jello dessert.
  • amymeenieminymo
    amymeenieminymo Posts: 2,394 Member
    For special occasions such as these I don't track my food for the day, because really how much fun can you have when your making a mental tally of, ok I had one carrot, one brownie, one hamburger....oh wait no thats two carrots. It's impossible.

Go, have fun, eat what you want but DON'T go overboard. Have a dessert, just don't have 5 or 6. Load up on veggies while you're mingling instead of chips and dip....it's better to go over on calories with veggies than greasy chips.

Try to get some exercise in that day so you'll have extra calories, and make sure you get back on track the next day. Have fun!
  • AJneuro
    AJneuro Posts: 33
    We always bring our own food to grill to barbecues -- ususally chicken breasts or a lean top round steak or lean sirloin burgers and some baked chips and fruit to share -- also I try to log what i figure i'll be eating ahead of time (including alcohol) so that I don't go over. I just make sure to get in some good exercise in the morning and I usually have a high protein breakfast -- egg white omlette and an oatmeal pancake -- and then I have maybe a protein smoothie for an early lunch/ snack if I'm hungry before we go -- that way I'm saving myself for the food and drinks later on -- hope this helps!
  • mello
    mello Posts: 817 Member
    I'm worried about this weekend too.....I have great intentions but a three day weekend scares me a little.
  • cwjett
    cwjett Posts: 189 Member
    wow i didn't even realize this weekedn was memorial day weekend!! lol I guess when you have to work on memorial day that just kind of ruins everything!
    I need to plan a get together with lots of good food! I guess that can be my cheat day. :happy:
  • wildkitty505
    wildkitty505 Posts: 222 Member
    Luckily for me I'm the one doing the cooking this weekend but.... since Memorial day usually means grilling I always think its a little easier than say....Thanksgiving (bleh!). If they aren't going to have any bring along your own chicken breasts. I doubt the host will mind throwing them on with the burgers. I also love Boca burgers and Ballpark Turkey dogs on the grill. Maybe bring along a lighter version of a pasta salad (made with light mayo and less of it!). No one ever complains about having someone bring food to a BBQ, some of them might even appreciate it :wink:

All in all don't try to count everything just eat in moderation and don't leave so stuffed you have to unbutton your pants :laugh: