question about 5x5

Options
I looked up some past threads here before posting, but not sure my question was really answered. So, I am still about 80 lbs overweight, just started some strength training stuff my little bro (who's a fitness buff) sent me.

Monday: Chest, Shoulders, Triceps (Push)

Flat bench press: 4 sets of 12 reps
Incline bench press: 4 sets of 12 reps
Push-ups: 3 sets of 10 (girl pushups are fine… maybe increase reps)
Seated shoulder press: 4 sets of 10
Lateral shoulder raise: 3 sets of 12
Triceps push downs: 3 sets of 10
Triceps kick-backs: 3 sets of 12

Wednesday: Legs

Barbell or body squats: 4 sets of 12
Dumbbell/Barbell lunges: 3 sets of 10
Calf raises: 4 sets of 12

Friday: Back, Biceps

Bent over barbell rows: 4 sets of 10
One arm dumbbell roes: 3 sets of 12
Lat. wide-grip pull downs: 3 sets of 12
Barbell curls: 3 sets of 10
Dumbbell alternating curls: 3 sets of 10
Hammer curls: 3 sets of 10

So I'm pretty interested in SL 5x5 (Love the idea of getting stronger without trying to remember so many different excercises) and have asked him about it, and he said it builds more strength than muscle (like those fat guys who can pull cars) which is what I need to burn fat. I however know you can't build muscle in a deficit. So any ideas which is best for me to continue losing weight and getting "toned"? By that I mean keeping the muscle I already have and not getting skinny fat. Sorry about the long post, but I love my little bro, yet know he doesn't know everything lol.

Replies

• dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    it builds more strength than muscle (like those fat guys who can pull cars)

You mean strongmen. They're strong mf'ers why? Loads of muscle. They're fat because they don't cut in general. For you, you wont really build a ton of muscle mass when eating at a deficit. You'll need to eat at or above maintenance for a while if you want to maximize and focus on hypertrophy, which the schedule he gave you is a hypertrophy schedule. It will build muscle.

Now, where you are now, building strength is going to be far more important, and it will build some muscle. More importantly though, you'll learn to activate the muscle you do have. I'd say SL 5x5 is a lot better than the protocol he wrote up for you. You're a newbie, you don't need to bro down with accessory lifts like the tricep stuff or the curlbro bicep work, just do the compound lifts for a while.

And a while being maybe around 6 months, then reassess.
  • Nadoriel
    Nadoriel Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Hey there, SL is really awesome, I used to do New Rules of Lifting and this is just so much easier... not having to carry the book around and check every exercise on the pictures pagess because I'm totally lost.

Regarding your question the best way is to keep a low deficit, around TDEE -10% and eat a good amount of protein daily. It will always consume some of your lean tissue, but not as much. It;s a slow but rewarding process which I've been loving.

Also what happens with this program is exactly the same as with your previous one. It would also burn lean tissue as long as deficit was too high and not enough protein.

Either way... kinda hard for us women to get visible and bigger muscles anyway xD
  • paulawatkins1974
    paulawatkins1974 Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    Thanks for replies! Yay! I will enjoy SL more I'm sure. I've already ordered some fraction weights from amazon lol
  • ryanwood935
    ryanwood935 Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    The great thing about the 5x5 is that you will get to practice your form on each of the compound lifts much more frequently. Getting proper form down is important for long term success and injury prevention. By the time you 'graduate' from your 5x5 program and get to your goal weight, you will be in a much better place to choose between a general strength routine or a hypertrophy routine.
  • paulawatkins1974
    paulawatkins1974 Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    Makes perfect sense. Thanks so much!
  • 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    I couldn't really tell you which is better as I don't do the high rep stuff mysel (don't like it).

But SL 5x5 is great - your brother is right, it's a strength programme but you're eating at deficit so it doesn't really matter. Give it a try and see which routine you prefer?
  • bvontur
    bvontur Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I however know you can't build muscle in a deficit.

That's true for fit people without a lot of weight to lose. If you're >30 lbs overweight and untrained, you absolutely can build muscle while losing fat. Eat 10-20% deficit while following the stronglift linear progression program and you will gain tons of muscle while losing fat. The scale won't be changing, because you'll basically be gaining muscle at the rate of fat loss.

My wife has been eating 20% under and in four weeks she lost only two pounds but six inches on her waist. My results are very similar.

Consider reading Lyle McDonald's site for information on body recomposition (bodyrecomposition.com). He'll say the same thing you say, indeed most nutritionists will, but then you'll see that caveat added to all those statements: "Unless of course you're a newbie, then you can gain muscle while losing fat."

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/adding-muscle-while-losing-fat-qa.html/

I hope you meet and exceed all your goals - good luck.