More Than DOUBLED My Running Distance Today!

Options
Scorpiomom222
Scorpiomom222 Posts: 1,462 Member
Hi y'all! I just wanted to pop in and brag a little. hehe I usually just run 5K when I do my runs. Today, I got a wild hair up my *kitten* and decided to not stop running when I got to 4 miles, but decided instead to run 2 more miles. What I DIDN'T know while I was running was that the course I chose to run was half a mile longer than I thought. LOL I was shocked that I had gone 6.6 miles today, when normally, I would run 3.1 miles. Not to mention, I ran in the snow, without my yaktraks to keep me from slipping (injury waiting to happen). I did 6.6 miles in 90 minutes. I haven't calculated how many minutes for each mile, but I know it's a reasonable time. lol I got sick after I got done, though, because of the lengthened distance and I had been hungry, but didn't know it. I HATE that. I was pretty out of it, but fine now, and proud of my distance.
yippee.gif

Replies

• NotAllWhoWanderAreLost
    Options
    WTG!!!!!!!!!! :glasses:
  • simpleliving
    Options
    GREAT JOB! My goal is to start running. I never liked it when I have tried it before but now I am trying to do a learn to run 8 week program and hopefully it gets me going. I am pretty excited. It is using the treadmill vs going outside. It's -36C here today so if I can learn to run by the spring I will take it outside! Any tips that you may have to share would be greatly apprecieted. Keep up the good work.
  • Scorpiomom222
    Options
    Your breathing rythm is especially important in running, especially long distance running. I usually break up my breaths into 4 segments. My inhale and exhale should sort of "count" my steps. Inhaling will be like 1,2 and exhaling will be 3,4. Hope that makes sense. It helps me take deeper breaths to keep up my lung capacity and to keep me upright while running. Get good running shoes. Never pass those up, EVER, or your body will be paying for it later. And always listen to your body.
  • darkrider42
    darkrider42 Posts: 5,341 Member
    Options
    WAY TO GO! Bonus props for doing it outdoors! :)
  • kt2007
    kt2007 Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    great job!!!!!
  • lyla29
    lyla29 Posts: 3,549 Member
    Options
    Your breathing rythm is especially important in running, especially long distance running. I usually break up my breaths into 4 segments. My inhale and exhale should sort of "count" my steps. Inhaling will be like 1,2 and exhaling will be 3,4. Hope that makes sense. It helps me take deeper breaths to keep up my lung capacity and to keep me upright while running. Get good running shoes. Never pass those up, EVER, or your body will be paying for it later. And always listen to your body.

This really helped me with my running. Now I pay more attention to my breathing and the running is so much better.

Way to go!!!:smile:
  • Scorpiomom222
    Options

This really helped me with my running. Now I pay more attention to my breathing and the running is so much better.

Way to go!!!:smile:

Oh good! I'm so glad! While I was running, I found that my breathing started to echo the tune of "Do You Know The Muffin Man" and then somehow it turned into "The Wheels On The Bus" LOL I had fun. Can you tell? haha
  • emmaleigh47
    emmaleigh47 Posts: 1,670 Member
    Options
    Hi y'all! I just wanted to pop in and brag a little. hehe I usually just run 5K when I do my runs. Today, I got a wild hair up my *kitten* and decided to not stop running when I got to 4 miles, but decided instead to run 2 more miles. What I DIDN'T know while I was running was that the course I chose to run was half a mile longer than I thought. LOL I was shocked that I had gone 6.6 miles today, when normally, I would run 3.1 miles. Not to mention, I ran in the snow, without my yaktraks to keep me from slipping (injury waiting to happen). I did 6.6 miles in 90 minutes. I haven't calculated how many minutes for each mile, but I know it's a reasonable time. lol I got sick after I got done, though, because of the lengthened distance and I had been hungry, but didn't know it. I HATE that. I was pretty out of it, but fine now, and proud of my distance.
    yippee.gif

FABULOUS job! I think I might have inspired you ...LOL! Your pace is impressive... :)
  • CarolHudson11
    Options
    Way to go!!!! I'm on my way to learning how to run again. Tomorrow morning at 5am is Day 2 for me. Thanks for the breathing tips everyone. That's the thing that always gets me - I feel like I can't catch my breath and have to stop to walk. I'll try the breathing in the morning - I have a feeling I'm going to be singing "The Wheels on the Bus" in my head. LOL
  • Scorpiomom222
    Options
    yippee.gif

FABULOUS job! I think I might have inspired you ...LOL! Your pace is impressive... :)

You DId!!! LOL As soon as I saw that you had responded to my thread, my first thought was " she's the reason I went that far!" :heart:
  • emmaleigh47
    emmaleigh47 Posts: 1,670 Member
    Options
    yippee.gif

You DId!!! LOL As soon as I saw that you had responded to my thread, my first thought was " she's the reason I went that far!" :heart:

Wowwie I feel super wicked special now!! You are awesome!! Now be nice to your body and drop your mileage for the next couple of days so you dont hurt yourself!!
  • Scorpiomom222
    Options
    yippee.gif

Wowwie I feel super wicked special now!! You are awesome!! Now be nice to your body and drop your mileage for the next couple of days so you dont hurt yourself!!

Oh man, don't I know it! My knee and my left ankle are killing me right now. I twisted it twice on the ice and almost fell once. You are super special! You got my *kitten* out the door running today. I was tired of not running, and decided that would be a dumb way to start out the new year. Thanks!
  • skinnyack
    skinnyack Posts: 683
    Options
    haha- you're awesome!
  • Scorpiomom222
    Options
    haha- you're awesome!

Bowing.gif Thank you, thank you. LOL
  • sixpackgoal
    Options
    yippee.gif

Way to go. I love my Yaktrax. A must for Chicago winters. You are well on your way to your Half Marathon.
    It is a great goal. It was also my goal last year. It felt great to accomplish. Worth every bit of training. Keep up the hard work.
  • LotusF1ower
    LotusF1ower Posts: 1,259 Member
    Options
    yippee.gif

WTG! Fantastic run!!!

Just goes to show you must have been well ready to do that distance! Excellent way to start of the new year!!!
  • Scorpiomom222
    Options
    yippee.gif

WTG! Fantastic run!!!

Just goes to show you must have been well ready to do that distance! Excellent way to start of the new year!!!

I don't think I was ready for that distance. My ankle is on fire today on the outside, right below the ball of my ankle. Do you think an anti-inflamatory drug and some ice might help?
  • Scorpiomom222
    Options
    yippee.gif

Way to go. I love my Yaktrax. A must for Chicago winters. You are well on your way to your Half Marathon.
    It is a great goal. It was also my goal last year. It felt great to accomplish. Worth every bit of training. Keep up the hard work.

I really should have used my yaktrax, cuz I was slipping around, and I think that was the cause of my ankle and knee soreness today.

On a better note, thank you and everyone else that responded! It was a great start to the New Year!
  • maroon58
    maroon58 Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    that is awesome!!!! running in the snow and hungry...crazy! i don't know how you did it:) great job and what a great way to start off the new year!
  • iwantmyskinnyjeans
    Options
    Awesome job! I've just gotten back into running and have made it to 3.4 miles so far. Can't wait to get to 6+!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!