Diet without Exercise

Options
Have been off here for sometime and I'm trying to rededicate myself to loosing weight. Hurt my back almost 6 months ago, had months of physical therapy and two rounds of ESI (epidural steroid injections) now I live off a Tens Unit machine for pain management.

Has anyone had success with just dieting? If so what did you do, count calories, weight watchers?

Replies

• funchords
    funchords Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    MFP is perfect for this -- you don't have to do any additional exercise beyond your daily living, it presumes that -- beyond your answers in your profile -- that you do none.

Go to http://www.myfitnesspal.com/account/change_goals_guided and make sure it is up to date:

How would you describe your normal daily activities? -- mark Sedentary
    How many times a week do you plan on exercising? -- mark 0 (zero)
    then click Update Profile
  • KameHameHaaaa
    KameHameHaaaa Posts: 837 Member
    Options
    You can lose weight without exercising. Just watch your calorie intake as the guy above me said. The benefits of exercise (aside from weight loss) are things like better mood, better sleep, more energy, cardiovascular health and overall strength.
  • redmaze12
    redmaze12 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I'm only doing calorie counting currently. I'm just so exhausted between kids and work. I'm hoping merely losing the weight will give me an energy boost so hopefully in the future I can do better with exercise.
  • MKEgal
    MKEgal Posts: 3,250 Member
    Options
    "Most weight loss occurs because of decreased caloric intake.
    However, evidence shows the only way to maintain weight loss is to be engaged in regular physical activity.
    To maintain your weight: work your way up to 150 minutes of moderate-intensity aerobic activity, 75 minutes of vigorous-intensity aerobic activity, or an equivalent mix of the two each week."
    (The page explains moderate & vigorous.)
    http://www.cdc.gov/healthyweight/physical_activity/index.html

So no, you don't have to exercise to lose weight.
    But it's going to be hard to maintain that weight loss if you can't find something exercise-ish you can tolerate.
    How about walking in a pool, or swimming?
  • LeonCX
    LeonCX Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    I am counting calories. I am too heavy to even start a walking program, but I sure plan on doing it down the road. With no exercise I have still managed to lose weight pretty rapidly in the last month.
  • fabulousmomma
    fabulousmomma Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    I am counting calories. I am too heavy to even start a walking program, but I sure plan on doing it down the road. With no exercise I have still managed to lose weight pretty rapidly in the last month.

Good for you!!!!!!
  • funchords
    funchords Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    It seems to me that if you maintain a lifetime of eating below your metabolic needs, you will maintain your weight loss indefinitely.I had a friend who lived into his 90s, quite a cheerful and fulfilled guy, eating 1200 calories a day.