What Have You Accomplished in Life?

Options
Several months ago while going through a rough time, my then-personal trainer asked me to make up a list of every accomplishment I could think of from my life. The reason was that I kept feeling like I had done nothing in my life, and that all of my current efforts to change were proving to be fruitless. So I went home and made up my list. When I brought it to our next session and we began discussing each thing I had listed, it made me realize that I had, indeed, accomplished a lot in my life. I had a lot of, "Oh - I remember that...." moments, and by the time I was finished, my mood had done a complete 360. She wanted me to think about the things I had done instead of focusing on the things I had not. It was one of the greatest, most motivating "exercises" that I've ever done.

So, my friends - I am asking you to please list some of your greatest accomplishments in life on this thread. Remind yourself of some of the great things you have done, and hopefully it will help boost your confidence on this journey that we are all on together.

I will list some of the things I put on my list to give you some examples. She had asked me to list everything, so some of these are from my early childhood. Hey, an accomplishment is an accomplishment - and it is your life. Doesn't matter when you did it. You did it.

1) I learned to read before kindergarten.

2) I was put into a 2nd grade reading class when I was in 1st grade.

3) I started creative writing in 3rd grade. I wrote poetry and short stories.

4) I got so far ahead in spelling in 5th grade that my teacher ended up giving me random words from the dictionary to study independently.

5) I learned how to play piano.

6) I earned my Bachelor of Arts in Graphic Design in 2003.

7) I learned to speak Spanish.

8) I have broken my lifelong habit of being late for everything.

9) I paid off $15k of credit card debt after three years of working a second job to bring in extra income.

10) My boss recently told me that I am "indispensable."

It may sound a little like bragging, and I guess in a way it is. But these are the kinds of things we need to remember and be proud of, especially when we feel like we are stuck or failing or incapable of true success. You have worked hard and succeeded numerous times in the past. You deserve to know that you have been and still are capable of greatness. I invite you to share your accomplishments with me and others reading this thread. The passion you once felt in the midst of other journeys can fuel the one you are working through right now.

Replies

• Ashlea_M
    Ashlea_M Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    This is a nice idea :)
    Ok this is my list

1) started reading novels age 6

2) I taught myself how to play 4 different musical instruments- clarinet, bass clarinet, alto saxophone, baritone saxophone.

3) I taught myself how to read music in three different clefs

4) I learned both written and spoken French

5) I got into the most prestigious music program at the top ranking university.

6) I got into a Fashion Design course with no drawing experience

7) I got into Industrial Design at uni

8) I got an HD for last semester's transport project at uni

9) I was first published at the age of 14.

10) My mentor at uni told me he thinks I can achieve the marks needed for early entry into PhD.
  • wanna_be_fit
    wanna_be_fit Posts: 1,523 Member
    Options
    Great thread! If you're like me I focus on my negative qualities...such as the fact that I have been trying to lose between 20-35 pounds my entire adult life! It's nice to really think about the fact that I've been very successful in other areas of my life. Here are a few:

1. Graduated #6 out of 200 something in my high school class
    2. Graduated summa cum laude w/ GPA of 3.87 with a double major in Biology and Chemistry
    3. Graduated medical school with all A's and B's
    4. Completed a 4 year residency and 1 year fellowship training program, was chief resident, and was hired on as faculty at my current job.
    5. Ran a 5k in 11/2009...granted it was WAY slow, but I ran the entire way.
    6. Gave birth to a beautiful daughter 2/4/09
    7. Helped my husband renovate our house--I'm an excellent painter! :)

I've clearly had a lot of successes in my education and my career, so now I need to have some successes in my weight loss and getting fit journey. I have weight loss goals, but I also am training for a 4 miler, and an ultimate goal would be to complete a half marathon in the next year or so. If I have the motivation and drive to accomplish the things that I have so far in my life, surely I can reach my fitness and weight loss goals!! :happy:
  • KcFitCoach
    KcFitCoach Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    What a great idea! I tend to be very hard on myself - I definitely see the benefit of doing something like this. OK, I'll give it a go (these are all out of order timeline, wise....I am ADD off the hook):

1. Asked my parents to let me leave public high school to go to private boarding school - with that change I left all my friends behind and moved to a strange town. I literally transformed from party girl to STUDENT WITH GOALS. I went from a C student to an A student, worked about 300% harder, got out of my comfort zone and learned how to sail.

2. Graduated college with a business degree, Cum Laude.

3. Learned to ride, care for and train horses at a young age by seeking out horse camps and lessons. Got my own horse as an adult (unfortunately, for his benefit I had to sell him a while back due to my time demands as a working mom).

4. Been brave enough to endure two heart surgeries (first one didn't 'take') to resolve heart rhythm disorders.

5. Put all my blood, sweat and tears into domestic adoption process - I made it like a full time job. Perseverence and FAITH paid off. We adopted our beautiful daughter at birth just 7 months after our homestudy was complete. We have what has developed into a fairly open adoption. I adore my daughter's birthmother and her stepmom and her father.

6. Gave life to my son - my one and only live birth out of several pregnancies.

7. Ran four 5k's in 2010. These were my first ever official races to participate in. What a blast!

8. Was elected President of my sorority chapter when I was a Junior in college.

9. Introduced my husband and children to the possibilities of a relationship with Jesus.

10. Was voted 'banker of the year' my second year with the bank I work for (we have 17 branches...this was really cool).
  • sjd2010
    sjd2010 Posts: 106
    Options
    What a great post! I, too, think a lot of negative things about myself. So here goes. . .

1. I received several reading awards as an elementary student.

2. I completed my California Profency Exam the same year I was supposed to graduate high school (after having a child at the age of 16).

3. I graduated college with honors, receiving my AA.

Wow, this is very hard. I will have to get back on this list after I think about it a while longer. :blushing:
  • porcelain_doll
    porcelain_doll Posts: 1,005 Member
    Options
    Wow! I love it! These are all so great to read. I wish I could see all of your eyes sparkling as you type!

I think this is one of the few instances that it is ok to focus on things of the past. We need to stop and remember who we are instead of thinking about who we aren't.

As I made my list before, I had that same feeling that I get when I am going through my closet and come across cool things that I forgot I had.

Keep going! I can't wait to read more. Everybody has accomplished something great. I hope you all can feel a difference after you are done making your lists.
  • KcFitCoach
    KcFitCoach Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    This is an amazing thread! Thanks for starting it! I hope more people post. I am fascinated by all the amazing people here!!!
  • porcelain_doll
    porcelain_doll Posts: 1,005 Member
    Options
    This is an amazing thread! Thanks for starting it! I hope more people post. I am fascinated by all the amazing people here!!!

Thank you! I actually thought more people would have wanted to post by now. Maybe people probably feel like they are bragging by talking about their accomplishments and it makes them uncomfortable; that could explain why we're still on page 1! lol
  • Ashlea_M
    Ashlea_M Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    I really enjoyed writing my list! :) some of them happened in 2010 and I'd almost forgotten they'd even happened because I was so depressed!
  • shannonichole
    Options
    1. I had the highest score statewide on the aims test when I was in the 8th grade.

2. I graduate 3rd in my high school class.

3. I was the first person in my family to go to college.

4. I have an art degree and culinary certificate.

5. I placed third in the Titanium Pastry Chef competition.

6. It only took me a month to move up three positions at my current job and I am running the supper shift by myself.
  • wanderinglight
    wanderinglight Posts: 1,519 Member
    Options
    This is such a wonderful thread. I think it's perfectly okay to brag once in a while, especially if you can use it as a reminder of the strength that we have within us. As women, we tend to downplay our accomplishments sometimes and put others first but this is an incredible reminder. I'm so inspired by what I read...I hope a ton more people chime in!

Here's mine...

1. Learned to read at age 3

2. Was moved up an advanced class in math and then eventually was tutored separately from the rest of the class.

3. Learned how to overcome my anger and get control of my temper.

4. Took Physics classes at Harvard when I was in high school.

5. Was the first woman to film on the boats for the TV show "Deadliest Catch." I fought very hard to be allowed to do this! it is probably the single biggest accomplishment of my career.

6. Recovered from a horrific back surgery that left me unable to walk for several months and completely shook my faith in the world and in myself.

7. Slept in a tent in Antarctica and was woken up by penguins tapping on it.

8. Was nominated for an Emmy.

9. Talked like an adult with my dad about the tough stuff.

10. Sold a TV show!

The last four were all from 2010, the best year of my life so far...
  • josephbales
    Options
    1. Traveled to 43 states and one Canadian Province.
    2. Learned to drive an 18 wheeler.
    3. Drove the Oregon Trail.
    4. Won the Division A state marching band championship twice in TN.
    5. Busted the curve in 3 college courses.
    6. Played the biggest Billy Goat Gruff in a paper sack puppet show in 1st grade.
    7. Ran 688 miles last year including 4 half marathons.
    8. Lost 50 lbs.
    9. Worked my way up from the bottom at two different jobs.
    10. Taught myself how to build computers.
  • kayleigh333
    Options
    ACCOMPLISHED:

1. I took my year 6 SAT's in year 3, and my year 9 SAT's in year 6.
    2. I got 10 GCSE's at A* - B
    3. I passed my A levels, a year at college and got accepted at university.
    4. I moved to the opposite end of the country alone and built up a new life and friends.
    5. My first serious boyfriend moved in with me a year ago and we've made it work and are really happy :)
    6. I ran a 5k for a cancer charity 3 years ago and plan on doing it again in May.
    7. I lost 20lb last year through healthy(ish!) eating and exercise and am so much happier with the way I look.

THINGS I WANT TO ACCOMPLISH NEXT:

1. Continue watching what I eat and exercising (inc. cutting out as much sugar as possible... no more toothache!!)
    2. Finish my degree and get the best possible grades and gain the most I can out of it.
    3. Become completely independent (my parents pay my uni rent at the moment).
    4. Travel the world next year.
    5. Have a successful career, make my parents proud of me and repay them for everything they've done for me.
  • wanna_be_fit
    wanna_be_fit Posts: 1,523 Member
    Options
    It is so interesting to read all of these accomplishments....so many people are so well rounded! Definitely inspires to do more than just lose weight in the coming year!