Personal Trainer arrogance?

Options
I saw a new personal trainer at the gym today to see what she'd add to my exercise routine to reach my goal weight. Basically it came across as sounding more like she was just trying to get more business and money rather than actually be helpful. Saying that on her written up program it would take up to 12 months to lose 10 kilograms but on her program with one personal training session a week i would lose 10 kilograms in 3 months.

From seeing everyone's amazing weight loss on this website and seeing people putting in their hard work without personal trainers and some people losing 5-10 kilograms per month, her saying it would take 12 months to lose just 10 kilograms seemed a bit ridiculous.

And yes i am eating correctly and putting in hard work with exercise doing running, weights etc

What are your opinions?

Replies

• kimjoan
    kimjoan Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    If you are going to use a personal trainer - choose very wisely! It is entirely too easy to become a certified personal trainer (in some states you can actually do it online - really) so there are quite a few out there who don't know their stuff. Also, if you are going through your gym one of their goals is sales. I watched the trainers at the gym to decide who I would use and who I wouldn't - out of a staff of about 12 there are 3 that I would train with.
  • bottom
    bottom Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Well, I'm sure you could absolutely do it without a personal trainer. On the other hand, it seems that it would be both informative and encouraging to have someone telling you what to do to better your workouts. Why not follow his advice AND work on your own...the best of both worlds?
  • nubreeze33
    Options
    I had a personal training session last week, I have to admit the work out was quick but powerful. I felt like I was pushed to capacity, and I was proud of myself for making it through. But..............There is no way I could justify what they charge. WELL OFCOURSE I GET RESULTS.....MONEY IS A MOTIVATOR! sheeeeeeeesh. I am enjoying the hard work I put it in without being held accountable by a trainer. If I could afford it I am not saying I wouldn't do it. It would be a consideration. I do think some come off as REALLY arrogant. I just don't let the energy find it's way to me.
  • anovasjo
    anovasjo Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    It seems like the trainer is underestimating you? From what I gather on the forums here, it's in line to expect to lose about a pound a week, with hard work and proper nutrition. That gives you 12 pounds in 3 months, or nearly 5.5 kilos, on your own.

By that logic, you could shed 52 pounds in 12 months (52 weeks), ie 23.5 kilos on your own.
    So this new trainer is suggesting you would be burning fat half as quickly as is potentially possible, while suggesting with her/his help, you would be burning fat twice as quickly as potentially possible.
    I guess it all depends on the schedule the two of you were discussing :)

Just my 2cents. :glasses:
  • larousse_37
    Options
    Be careful with trainers... a lot of the one's I've met are full of s*** and are all about selling you stuff. 10 kilos in 12 months? Please, you have the potential to lose 4 kilos a month.. so in three months, with a little exercise and eating well, will be at that goal. Shop around before signing up with anyone :-)
  • dwarfer22
    dwarfer22 Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    Perhaps the traner is including the fact that you would certainly be building muscle on her plan which weighs more than fat. If she factored that in maybe it's possible to take longer to lose the weight if you are replacing it w/ muscle. Just a guess really but maybe you should call the gym and find out how they determine your calculations.