Salsa chicken

funkyspunky871
funkyspunky871 Posts: 1,675 Member
edited September 22 in Recipes
Made this today, and it was soooo good!

1.5 - 2 pounds of FROZEN boneless, skinless chicken breast (I used 1.7 pounds of Perdue 99% fat-free chicken)
1 can of original rotel tomatoes and green chillies
1 cup of salsa (I used Tostidos Chunky - Medium)
1 large diced onion
3 tsp of taco seasoning (I used 40% Less Sodium Taco Seasoning by Old El Paso)
Salt, pepper, and chili powder to taste.

Mix all together in crockpot and cook on low for 6-7 hours. Shred chicken with a fork (if desired).

Note: You may want to drain all of the juice out after cooking. There's a lot of it. :)

Nutrition per heaping cup (1/3 of recipe with 1.7 lbs of chicken)
Calories: 392
Fat: 3g

You could of course split it into smaller servings, but I ate it as a main dish with 1/2 cup of corn on the side. I'm sure it would be even better with fat-free sour cream and 2% milk cheese on top; I didn't have any on hand though. :(

Replies

• bethvandenberg
    bethvandenberg Posts: 1,496 Member
    this sounds yummy and like something that I make on Taco Tuesday's :) My kids like Tacos so we mix up the different kinds of stuff to make them out of. :) I love Taco Tuesday.
  • orting514
    orting514 Posts: 153
    It sounds good i'll have to try it, thanks.
    Carol :smile:
  • vikalyn
    vikalyn Posts: 155
    Sounds almost like what I had for dinner. Only I make my own Taco seasoning...even 40% less salt is too much for me.

Try this, it's easy...1 Tbs Chili powder, 1½ tsp Paprika and 1 tsp Cumin. I put my salsa chicken over ½ cup cooked brown rice (good way to soak up some of the juices), and add fresh rosemary and parsley flakes to the rice before cooking.

Spunky and Beth...you are an inspiration!
This discussion has been closed.