Those pesky last few lbs - help!

Options
Dear My Fitness Pals,

Like most of you all, I have been on the long and winding road of weight loss. At this moment in time, I am coming to the very bitter end of the weight loss road, however not the fitness road.

I recently started personal training and have discovered after measurements, at 26 years of age, I am at 5'6.5", 130 lbs with 22% body fat. Which is great news since I have lost 8% body fat over the last three years through better food choices and exercise.

However, my weight loss has stagnated here. I would ideally like to lose 5 lbs since I do have wobbly bits over my body, but I am finding it very difficult to even stay below 130 lbs.

Currently my fitness pal tells me my TDEE is at 1390. I usually only have two meals a day, which normally consists of protein/veg or pasta if I feel like having carbs. I currently work out four days a week, for 60 minutes each time. Twice a week cardio, and twice a week strength training.

I know it might seem silly since it is only 5 lbs, but has been my goal weight and I am so close but feel so far! I actually got down to 127 lbs but have gained back the 3 lbs and seriously don't know why.

Any advice would help. Thank you so much.

Replies

• SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    well let's start with the fact that MFP is not telling you your TDEE is 1390...MFP doesn't use TDEE it uses the NEAT method.

So now that we have that cleared up....

If you are stagnant on the last 5lbs meaning not losing than you have a miscalculation somewhere...either in your intake or output.

IE you are eating more than you think or recording bigger burns than reality, but because your diary is closed I am sort of guessing...but not really.

At your height tho...which is 1/2inch lower than mine 125 puts you on the low end of suitable weight for your height...

Me personally being almost 2x your age and 1/2inch taller than you currently weigh 148lbs and wear a size 4 (I know cause I just got done replacing my waredrobe)...I can eat 2250 calories a day and maintain that weight...why because of weight lifting.

Perhaps what you need to do is stop relying on the scale so much and start doing some heavy weight training to get rid of the "wobbly bits"...

I was at goal weight in May of this year and changed it to a lower weight...I have no problem at all losing the last 5lbs...I eat at TDEE-10% and it slowly comes off...and that is how it should be if you are logging accurately and not over estimating burns...it will take me about 6-8 weeks to lose these last 3-4lbs so by the end of the year (holidays) I will be exactly where I want to be.
  • galprincess
    galprincess Posts: 682 Member
    Options
    My advice is to eat at maintenance and try a lifting programme
  • sarahfishy
    Options
    well let's start with the fact that MFP is not telling you your TDEE is 1390...MFP doesn't use TDEE it uses the NEAT method.

So now that we have that cleared up....

If you are stagnant on the last 5lbs meaning not losing than you have a miscalculation somewhere...either in your intake or output.

IE you are eating more than you think or recording bigger burns than reality, but because your diary is closed I am sort of guessing...but not really.

At your height tho...which is 1/2inch lower than mine 125 puts you on the low end of suitable weight for your height...

Me personally being almost 2x your age and 1/2inch taller than you currently weigh 148lbs and wear a size 4 (I know cause I just got done replacing my waredrobe)...I can eat 2250 calories a day and maintain that weight...why because of weight lifting.

Perhaps what you need to do is stop relying on the scale so much and start doing some heavy weight training to get rid of the "wobbly bits"...

I was at goal weight in May of this year and changed it to a lower weight...I have no problem at all losing the last 5lbs...I eat at TDEE-10% and it slowly comes off...and that is how it should be if you are logging accurately and not over estimating burns...it will take me about 6-8 weeks to lose these last 3-4lbs so by the end of the year (holidays) I will be exactly where I want to be.

Hi! Thanks a lot for your answer. Obviously there's just a lot information regarding diet and exercise that I really am not familiar with.

And I think you are right. I do rely on the scale a lot. I know I have a long way to go before I can call myself fit that is all.

I have changed my workout program to include weight lifting whereas before it was mainly cardio. So we shall see if this makes any difference.

Thanks again!
  • sarahfishy
    Options
    My advice is to eat at maintenance and try a lifting programme

Thanks!
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    you'll have to ignore the scales if you start lifting due to water retention. i woudl recommend measurements and/or pictures once a month.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    you'll have to ignore the scales if you start lifting due to water retention. i woudl recommend measurements and/or pictures once a month.
    This ^ cuz it will drive you CRAZY <see my picture, I'm now CRAZY!