Ultimate weight loss calculator

Options

Replies

• maccarossi1
    maccarossi1 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Well done IMO, that's a fantastic calculator.
  • simplydelish2
    simplydelish2 Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    Nice work! The only comment I have is regarding frame size. Most heavy people have larger wrists due to having fat around the bone. As you lose, your wrist becomes smaller, yet your frame doesn't change. When I was at my highest weight there was no way my fingers would close around my wrist, now they meet.
  • xmusicloverr
    xmusicloverr Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Bookmarked. I'll be using this often, thank you! :)
  • breezyAandii
    breezyAandii Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Ah, got it!

Thanks! :)
  • 141622j
    141622j Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    With this calculator, do you eat back your exercise calories? For example, if I intend to eat 1600 calories do I need to eat back my exercise calories like on MFP or is this the TDEE -20% (or whatever it may be) method?
    Thanks and great job!

If you want to count and eat back your exercise calories, just choose the 'sedentary' option. If you choose an activity level higher than that, your exercise is included in your TDEE, so don't eat it back.

Also thanks again to everyone for all the lovely comments! I really appreciate it. If you like this tool, the most awesome thing you can do is share it with other people either by pointing people towards it when they need it, or by sharing it on twitter or Facebook via the links on the page.

I really have to get back to my day job! But I hope to gradually improve the calculator based on your awesome constructive feedback, as and when I have time. Please feel free to add comments and suggestions here as I will check back periodically, and it really makes my day when there are nice comments to read :)

If you come across any bugs or serious flaws, if you comment on the site itself I'll be notified immediately so I can fix it.

Thanks again everyone :)
  • beachgal0626
    beachgal0626 Posts: 1,912 Member
    Options
    Bump -- and thanks for sharing!
  • fatcity66
    fatcity66 Posts: 1,544 Member
    Options
    Nice work! The only comment I have is regarding frame size. Most heavy people have larger wrists due to having fat around the bone. As you lose, your wrist becomes smaller, yet your frame doesn't change. When I was at my highest weight there was no way my fingers would close around my wrist, now they meet.

I just looked at this again, and used the measurement method to determine my frame size, as that seems to be the most accurate. I found that I have a medium frame, but my wrist is 6.5 inches exactly, so I am right on the verge of a large frame. This is reassuring to me, as I have always held a higher weight well, but I'm still striving for a healthy BMI.
  • annietud
    annietud Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Just another - fab site ,!!!! Good effort????
  • mz_getskinny
    mz_getskinny Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    Love it! Great job :)
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Loved this in the beginning. Now, not so much The FRAME SIZE bit gave me very low weight ranges and a very high BMI.

I'm 5'6" and it gives me a goal weight of 109-139. I should never weigh 109. With or without a small frame. I have no idea if I have a small frame or not...probably small to medium. Never should I weigh less than 120 even...

My BMI goes from 21 to 24 simply by changing frame size.... and down to 19 something if I say I have a large frame (not arguing for or against BMI here...) Where'd you get the calculations for frame size/bmi?

I liked it better without the frame size bit.
  • Autk79
    Autk79 Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    Awesome, love it!!!
  • holliebevineau
    holliebevineau Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    Thanks!!!!
  • julieager75
    julieager75 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Bump...
  • fatcity66
    fatcity66 Posts: 1,544 Member
    Options

I just looked at this again, and used the measurement method to determine my frame size, as that seems to be the most accurate. I found that I have a medium frame, but my wrist is 6.5 inches exactly, so I am right on the verge of a large frame. This is reassuring to me, as I have always held a higher weight well, but I'm still striving for a healthy BMI.

Re-measured my wrist with an actual tape measure when I got home (I used a string and a ruler previously) and found my wrist was over 6.5 inches, almost 7, so I have confirmed my large frame size. Also, I have almost no fat on my wrists, they are very bony, so I don't think they will change much as I lose weight.
  • BellaGowrie
    BellaGowrie Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Just wanted to say a massive thanks for this! I had a rough week last week, and with a new mindset and the added motivation from this calculator and just the right time, you've really helped me turn stuff around and now I'm heading into October with more determination than ever! :D Brilliant, have already recommended it to a friend!
  • 141622j
    Options
    Loved this in the beginning. Now, not so much The FRAME SIZE bit gave me very low weight ranges and a very high BMI.

I'm 5'6" and it gives me a goal weight of 109-139. I should never weigh 109. With or without a small frame. I have no idea if I have a small frame or not...probably small to medium. Never should I weigh less than 120 even...

My BMI goes from 21 to 24 simply by changing frame size.... and down to 19 something if I say I have a large frame (not arguing for or against BMI here...) Where'd you get the calculations for frame size/bmi?

I liked it better without the frame size bit.

The BMI is adjusted by + or -10% if you choose small/large frame - and obviously this is always going to produce a really rough estimate, because everyone is different. 109 may well be way too low for you, but for a very fine-boned person it could be at the low end of OK - BMI is notoriously inaccurate anyway.

I do state on the website that the frame size adjustment in the calculator is NOT medically acceptable and shouldn't be used as medical advice though, and if you'd like to use the calculator without the frame size adjustment, just select 'Average Frame Size/No Adjustment' when you're putting your info in.

I chose 10% because my research lead me to believe that a 10% adjustment for large frame sizes is generally considered acceptable, so I figured 10% the other way would be ok for small frames - though I'm happy to adjust this if everyone thinks I should - would 5% be better? I'd love to see some opinions on what would be a good number.

Thanks everyone!
  • 141622j
    Options
    Just wanted to say a massive thanks for this! I had a rough week last week, and with a new mindset and the added motivation from this calculator and just the right time, you've really helped me turn stuff around and now I'm heading into October with more determination than ever! :D Brilliant, have already recommended it to a friend!

Thank you, that's lovely :)
  • DropsofHoney
    Options
    Love it!!!
  • CynCyndi
    Options
    Very Cool!
  • Calyse90
    Calyse90 Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    Awesome!! thanks friend, I like the zig-zag feature