Water retention in muscles after exercise

Options
Last weekend, I started a new exercise plan to kick start my weight loss after being complacent since June and not eating or exercising like I should be.
TBH I am sick of losing the same 5lb over and over and being stuck where I am now.

This is the plan that I did last week:

Saturday – Walking – 5 miles minimum
Sunday – Swimming – 40 lengths
Monday – Rest Day
Tuesday – Swimming - 40 lengths
Wednesday – Walking - 5 miles minimum
Thursday – Swimming – 30 lengths
Friday – Rest Day

I have seen some articles on the interwebnet and posts on here regarding water retention in the muscles after exercise.
Does this happen regardless of what exercise is undertaken? The only exercises mentioned are high impact such as running or weight training.

I was just interested to know if all exercises have this side-effect.

Replies

• Chezzie84
    Chezzie84 Posts: 873 Member
    Options
    Anyone??
  • VelveteenArabian
    VelveteenArabian Posts: 758 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure of the correct answer but if your body retains water after exercise I don't see why it would discriminate between forms of exercise. Maybe intensity.

However, fluctuations in water retention are very normal and are affected by a lot of things. It's also usually temporary. Stay hydrated and while it's something to keep in mind there no need to worry about it too much.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    It depends. The water and glycogen retention is a healing response. If you're a completely inactive person and start exercising, your muscles are probably going to suffer microtrauma regardless of what you do because they're not used to activity. If you're a lightly or moderately active person, you may not notice as much of a difference unless you're really kicking up the intensity like going from walking to running or going from only doing moderate cardio to mixing in strength training.

For instance, I don't do much strength training in the summer because I want to be outside walking and running. A couple weeks ago, I did 20 minutes of a circuit workout (Spartacus) and was sore and up on the scale for three days. I did the same routine the next week and was just a bit sore the next day and saw no change on the scale.

As the other responder noted though, fluctuations happen for a variety of reasons. Track your sodium intake, pay attention to where you are in your cycle, drink lots of water and above all, have patience.
  • Chezzie84
    Options
    Thanks ????
    Not bothered about it, I was just curious.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    You may see some, but to a much lesser degree than if you were doing strength training.

Why does your routine not include any resistance training? even body weight exercises can be very beneficial.
  • Chezzie84
    Options
    Why does your routine not include any resistance training? even body weight exercises can be very beneficial.

because I want to ease myself in gently.
    It will include it at some point but since I have only just started again, I didn't want to overdue it.
  • MityMax96
    MityMax96 Posts: 5,778 Member
    Options
    Last weekend, I started a new exercise plan to kick start my weight loss after being complacent since June and not eating or exercising like I should be.
    TBH I am sick of losing the same 5lb over and over and being stuck where I am now.

This is the plan that I did last week:

Saturday – Walking – 5 miles minimum
    Sunday – Swimming – 40 lengths
    Monday – Rest Day
    Tuesday – Swimming - 40 lengths
    Wednesday – Walking - 5 miles minimum
    Thursday – Swimming – 30 lengths
    Friday – Rest Day

I have seen some articles on the interwebnet and posts on here regarding water retention in the muscles after exercise.
    Does this happen regardless of what exercise is undertaken? The only exercises mentioned are high impact such as running or weight training.

I was just interested to know if all exercises have this side-effect.

water weight comes and goes honestly.....
    I can swing ~4-5 lbs over about 3 days, due to how I eat.
    All water.

Looks like you have lost a lot of weight....
    Have you recalculated your numbers?
    Maybe you need to drop your daily intake?
  • Chezzie84
    Options
    All water.

I have lost 29lb so far.
    I have recalculated, I am on 1470 calories which is what mfp has set for 1lb loss.
  • MityMax96
    Options
    All water.

I have lost 29lb so far.
    I have recalculated, I am on 1470 calories which is what mfp has set for 1lb loss.

So then my questions would be:
    Are you weighing/measuring everything you put in your mouth??
    How long have you been on a restricted caloric intake?
  • MityMax96
    Options
    This is in your profile:
    Start Weight: 214.8lb (15st 4.8lb)
    End Goal Weight: Whenever I feel happy with myself.

Goals:
    1 stone loss (200.8lb) - 01.03.14
    14 stone goal (196lb) - 22.03.14
    10% weight loss (193.3) - 05.04.14
    2 stone loss (186.8) - 17.05.14 / 21.06.14 / 05.07.14 / 23.08.14 / 20.09.14

Is all that accurate?
    So you have been in a deficit since some time last year or the start of this year?
  • successgal1
    successgal1 Posts: 996 Member
    Options
    I retain alot of water when I exercise. It doesn't help that I spend my work days 90% on my feet, I think all the fluid runs into my legs and stays there until I sleep. Its better as I get in better shape, but then as I get in better shape I raise my weights to a higher poundage and it starts all over again. I've been counting my calories and working out for 3 weeks and have only 4 pounds lost to show for it. BUT my legs are much slimmer, as I am all over, arms, back and even the belly which for me is always the last to go. My TShirts are loose again. I keep pushing since I can't go to a smaller pair of pants until my weight loss hits my tummy more.

But anyway, I drink LOTS of water. There is only one way for water to be flushed out of your system and thats with MORE water. After a good nights rest (at least 6-7 hours) I have to pee like a racehorse, but the bloated feeling is gone from my legs. At least until the end of the next workday! Its like my body finally has a chance to process the fluid out of my limbs while I'm lying down, and it all ends up in my bladder.

Like others say, watch your salt. I don't ADD salt to anything, but usually can't avoid salt that comes in foods, though I choose low sodium options if available. I'm in Florida so I don't go way out of my way to limit salt more than that, have to replace what I sweat out.
  • wkwebby
    wkwebby Posts: 807 Member
    Options
    Water is retained to help heal the muscles after being worked. The type of exercises aren't important for that...if you feel sore, there will be water retention.

Heavier lifting and strength training tends to "tear" the muscle fibers more so you'll feel it a lot more and retain more water. In the repair phase, the fibers grow back stronger and more dense (so muscles will grow). There are two different types of muscle fibers (can't think of the names right now). There is the "endurance" fiber, and the "strength" fiber. It could be equated to the long fibers which help you endure long lengths of time, and the short fibers which can account for the amount of weights you can pick up/lift, etc. With the cardio, the long fibers are being worked on, not short. With strength training (low reps, heavy weight), the short fibers are being worked. With high reps, lower weights, again, the long fibers are being worked on.

Both of these fibers need to be worked on, and they will all need to be "torn" and repaired again for you to get the muscles we are all looking for. Therefore, water retention (to varying degrees) goes hand in hand with any type of workout.
  • MityMax96
    Options
    I just looked at your diary.
    Looks like you are just tracking over all calories....
    Which is fine.

But if you are also lifting weights, I highly recommend you track macros as well.....
    You will be very glad you did

eta:
    Swimming is demanding on muscles, actually a very good full body workout
  • Chezzie84
    Options
    I started just before new year. 30th Dec I think.
    Yeah I was on 1200 but felt crap so I upped it.
    The dates are the days I hit my goals.
  • MityMax96
    Options
    I started just before new year. 30th Dec I think.
    Yeah I was on 1200 but felt crap so I upped it.
    The dates are the days I hit my goals.

Ok...
    I personally (just my recommendation, so do as you wish)
    1) Track macros as well as calories
    2) get in more protein, less carbs/fats
    go for about 0.8 - 1.0 gr / pound of body weight for protein
    ~0.35 - 0.4 gr / pound of body weight for fat
    the rest of your calories in carbs
    3) Add in more veggies.
    4) If I were coaching you or whatever, I would switch you to TDEE for calories, and not MFP's method.....but if you are comfortable w/ MFP's, then keep up.
    5) Weigh/measure everything you put in your mouth.

If you truly have been in a deficit for as long as you say....(which since you are not losing, makes me think you aren't)...
    You could try a carb refeed day......but not sure if that is the problem, cause I looked at your diary, and based on what is entered without seeing the macros, I think you are / have been getting adequate carbs.

But right now, I think the big thing is you are consuming more calories than you need.....thus my point 4 above.