Already eating 2700 cals, should I eat more?

Options
I'm 29 years old, 5'10 and 320 pounds. I have tried to lose weight multiple times before and always gave up after about 6 months and went back to old eating habits. So this time have decided to lose the weight slow and steady, making it a much easier change for myself. I have it set for 1 pound loss a week, which is 2700 calories a day, however I've been losing 4-6 pounds a week. I know some of it was water weight, as I've only been at it for a few weeks but it doesn't seem to be slowing down. I know it's not healthy to lose weight that fast but am hesitant to up my calories as 2700 already seems pretty high for weight loss.

I have my diary set to private as it keeps me honest, but I'm definitely not underestimating. I eat every precious calorie, and have even ate over 2700 a couple of days. I have not started working out yet, so eating back those calories isn't a factor.

Does anyone eat at 3000 or more and still lose? Or will it eventually slow down as I get smaller?

Replies

• JustAnotherGirlSuzanne
    Options
    I'm no expert, but when I first started here the weight came off quickly in the beginning. If you've got it set to 1 lb per week then I'd say you're good.
  • JeffInJax
    JeffInJax Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    In the beginning those rapid losses are pretty normal. My first week eating 2000 calories i lost something like 14 pounds and it freaked me out because I wanted to do slow and steady as well. It might take a few weeks or even a month but the losses will slow. When you have a lot to lose it drops pretty fast.
  • cassidyamymommy
    cassidyamymommy Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I have heard and experienced that the bigger you are, the faster the weight comes off in the begining. im starting fresh today, but the last time i had lost weight, i was losing 4-5 pounds a week.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    You just keep doing what you're doing, as it will slow down. As you stated, it's only been two weeks. Plus, as you lose you will be adjusting your goals based on the new figures and it will automatically lower your calories.
  • funchords
    funchords Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    I recommend to leave it at 2700. Your weight loss is telling you that you were eating a lot more before, and you seem to be telling us that 2700 is a comfortable amount of food for you.

After you lose a large amount of weight in a short time, MFP will recommend readjusting and will give you a slightly lower calorie target. Since you're not exercising, definitely take it. You can also make this happen whenever you want to by going to http://www.myfitnesspal.com/account/change_goals_guided and hitting Update Profile without making any changes.

Ultimately, you want to find the eating habits that will keep your weight off. This takes a long time and the best way to approach it is to go slow and build your new lifetime of habits a little at a time. These include: mindful eating, planning your eating so that you don't eat emotionally, managing restaurant meals, estimating food when you're away from your scale, becoming a more active you, portion sizes, balancing your macro-nutrients. Don't stress over that long list, you'll pick it up naturally as part of the process.

For now, just keep logging accurately and faithfully. Read your logs every few days and see what surprises and questions come up. We'll be here to help.

Congratulations!
  • parasshelawala
    parasshelawala Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    If you can get by on 2700 without feeling tired and hungry all the time, stick with it. You want a level you can stick with for a very long time. Chances are the 2700 level will lead to slower weight loss over time.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,401 MFP Moderator
    Options
    I lose at 2500 but I am a male at 5'10, 180 lbs, desk job and exercise 6 hours a week. Just remember as you lose weight, your calories will taper off and be lower as a smaller body requires less calories. Ideally, just aim to get adequate protein, fats and fiber. I personally aim for a range, 2200-2600 and as long as I fit in that, I am happy. So you could also have that mindset of aiming for a range based off of satiety.
  • 2013sk
    2013sk Posts: 1,318 Member
    Options
    How many calories was you eating before????

Well yes that is right then if you were eating say 4,000 - 5,000 calories, and now your eating under 3,000 of course your going to lose weight!!!

I would keep at it, and incorporate some fun exercise.