Can I maintain on 2000?

Options
Hi!
Currently I am eating around 1750-1800 calories per day and maintaining for the most part. I don't "exercise" but do fast paced Vinyasa yoga 1-2 times per week for an hour each time. I am also a college student and walk campus as well as do daily errands, cleaning the house/chores, and walking my dog. Like I said, I don't run, workout, etc. but for the most part of the day I am on my feet.
I eat pretty clean... I am vegan (small traces here and there...not strict) and dairy free.
I would love to maintain on 2000, but is that too much for my small build?

Replies

• GauchoMark
    GauchoMark Posts: 1,804 Member
    Options
    If you have a history of maintaining on 1750-1800 calories, then unless you increase your activity level, by another ~200 calories a day, then no, you will gain weight over time.

Use your actual results versus your food logs to determine your maintenance level - you already did that apparently and it is around 1750-1800 calories.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Currently I am eating around 1750-1800 calories per day and maintaining for the most part.
    This is the important stuff.
    I eat pretty clean... I am vegan (small traces here and there...not strict) and dairy free.
    Irrelevant to your calorie requirements I'm afraid.
    I would love to maintain on 2000, but is that too much for my small build?
    No - but it is too much for your small build and current activity/exercise if you are maintaining on 1800 cals a day.
    Sounds like the best solution is to work in an extra 200 calories of either exercise or general activity into your lifestyle if you want to be able to eat more.
  • The_Enginerd
    The_Enginerd Posts: 3,982 Member
    Options
    I will add one counterpoint to the above posts. Maintenance is usually a range, as many of us have found out when trying to start bulking. You may find you maintain on 2000 calories, although it will probably be at a slightly higher scale weight due carrying extra water/glycogen weight and food weight.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    You can certainly maintain your weight while eating 2000 calories. However, if you're basically maintaining at less calories now then your maintenance weight at 2000 calories will be higher.
  • musicandarts
    musicandarts Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    I am curious to know what you eat to get 1800 calories per day. Beans and legumes? As others have remarked here, 1800 calories per day may increase your weight unless the time spend on feet is walking time.
  • 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    I will add one counterpoint to the above posts. Maintenance is usually a range, as many of us have found out when trying to start bulking. You may find you maintain on 2000 calories, although it will probably be at a slightly higher scale weight due carrying extra water/glycogen weight and food weight.

I agree with this. You might even stay at your current weight actually if you slowly increase up to 2000. Maintenance is definitely a range and not a set number. I can maintain at 1800 or 2150.