How to set a reasonable mini goal

Options
mlyn627
mlyn627 Posts: 104 Member
Honestly I am afraid to set a goal. I am so terrified that I will fail again. I don't want to set it too low and I don't want it so high that I'm setting myself up for failure. This is day 5 for me and I feel like I am doing a good job so far, I've got a couple days of some pretty good exercise in and I am under on my calories everyday. I have lost 2 lbs so far, but I know how much weight can fluctuate.

How did you choose your goals small and big?

Replies

• JustAnotherGirlSuzanne
    Options
    I make a whole bunch of them. I'm bound to hit at least one, right?

I also set them small with the big ones looming in the background somewhere. Some examples:

5 lbs down
    Logged accurately for a full week
    Completed a workout DVD such as JM's 30 Day Shred
    Completed a military style pushup
    and so on.
  • rand486
    rand486 Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    Take the pressure off. You will have good days; You will have bad days (ie: you will cheat).

Cheating does not mean you failed. It means you had a day where you ate a bit more. Just keep going, and keep logging your food.

You're seeking a lifestyle change here, not a quick fix. Stop weighing in daily, and just stick to the calorie count MFP calculated for you. You will get there, even if you cheat every now and then. There is no failure, until you give up and return to your old lifestyle entirely.
  • SlimJanette
    SlimJanette Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    Set a goal that will be achievable. 2lbs a week is a great goal. Set a goal of losing 10-12lbs a month. This will change after a few months as it is harder to lose. If you are craving something, set a goal to make yourself wait and at the end of the week you want it, treat yourself to it. Don't ban yourself from things that you want because you will binge and over eat and your 2lbs/wk goal will be blown. Take it slow and you will be successful.
  • AmyG1982
    AmyG1982 Posts: 1,040 Member
    Options
    I set a few that were meaningful to me. I'd recently gained weight so my first goal was to get back to my previous high weight, then I want to get under 200, then 180 (lowest I've ever been as an adult) and then 165 just as a random #. Then I also celebrate every 5% I lose which from where I started its about 12.5 lbs. Right now I've lost 11.5% of my weight and that feels pretty awesome to me :)
  • 20yearsyounger
    20yearsyounger Posts: 1,643 Member
    Options
    I'll just focus on the fitness/weight loss aspect. Why set a mini goal? All you need to do is focus on your calorie intake and exercise to maintain good health while you body stops storing fat and starts using the reserves. Forget the weight. How do you feel about your food choices the last few days? Were you starving or do you feel that they were reasonable?

You just started another path on your LIFE journey. You've done a great job so far. The weight loss will come with good habits.
  • mlyn627
    Options
    I guess the reason I want set a goal is because it feels like I am accomplishing something, like checking something of a list, that and I really want to get another tattoo and I want to use that as an incentive.

I am feeling pretty good about the calories and how my hunger level is. I haven't given up anything that I can't live without I just don't mindlessly eat and binge.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    I didn't choose my goals. I just had them.

When I started, it was to eat healthier to be healthier, not for weight loss. So I worked on that.

I thought how lovely it would be to get back to a size 20 or even, in my dreams, an 18 and be able to wear the couple of size 18s I'd saved.

As I began seeing the weight come off, I started thinking, "Oh, my God, I want to get under 200!" Then I just wanted to hit 175.

Now that I'm closing in on 175, I'm already like, "Under 150! Can't wait to hit that!" So, after I hit 175, my goal is 149. :D

My end goal is my high school weight, but is don't know that I can get all the way there. I won't be too disappointed if I can't. I'm enjoying these milestones, though!!! :)

Just pick what you want. Somewhere in your head, there is a voice saying, "God I'd love to be _______."

That thing you want: That's your goal! :)
  • rand486
    rand486 Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    I guess the reason I want set a goal is because it feels like I am accomplishing something, like checking something of a list, that and I really want to get another tattoo and I want to use that as an incentive.

Check out HabitRPG.com if you're a todo list junkie like me. Think of it as a "Tamagotchi" style game for your to-do list and habits.

I made hitting my MFP goals a "Daily", and it keeps my eating in check. I also use it to keep track of other stuff in my life, but that's outside the scope of this conversation haha.

You could even set up a custom Reward for your tattoo once you've gotten enough rewards to justify it.

If the gamification idea doesn't work for you - make it a policy to post how much you were under/over your calories for the day on Facebook or something. That way, you'll feel accountable to your FB friends.
  • jrline
    jrline Posts: 2,353 Member
    Options
    I would recommend only weighing twice a month. Log everything on the second weigh in for the month I would be pushing for 8lbs down.

29509743.png
  • marisas80
    marisas80 Posts: 116 Member
    Options

I've set getting a new tattoo as a reward for reaching my "perfect body" goal. It hasn't happened probably because it's too big of a goal and not measurable. So, now new goal is to log every day and reduce my body fat percentage to where I want it. Then maybe I'll get that tattoo/ :wink:
  • Rochester_mom
    Rochester_mom Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Sometimes my goals are very specific and small. Because sometimes I can't think about exercising 5 times "this week." To me that seems so unattainable. But I can and do follow through with the goal of working out "today". Today I will put in a Jillian Michaels DVD and get in 24 minute workout. Oftentimes, those small daily goals add up to the bigger goals that seemed to unattainable. Good luck!
  • babushka700
    babushka700 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I think setting mini-goals has really helped me not get overwhelmed. I'd like to lose about 75 pounds total and was completely overwhelmed about it so focusing 5 or 10 pounds at a time has really helped. When I get anxious looking further down the road I have to calm myself down and think about my current goal. For instance, I started at 216 so the first 10 pounds "proved" to me something was actually working. Then getting under 200 was a major goal. Then at 196 I was 20 pounds down, then 195 was mid 190's, then fitting into a smaller size etc. So every 4-5 pounds I have something to get excited about. Also, I like to reflect on non-scale victories...good choices becoming less of a struggle on average, more energy. I have a long way to go still so I think the biggest thing for me was excepting and re-excepting that a healthy sustainable weightloss is going to take time. Mini goals can be totally up to you with what you think will keep you motivated, maybe it's trying out one dietary switch for a week or working in more activity.
  • mlyn627
    Options

Check out HabitRPG.com if you're a todo list junkie like me. Think of it as a "Tamagotchi" style game for your to-do list and habits.

I made hitting my MFP goals a "Daily", and it keeps my eating in check. I also use it to keep track of other stuff in my life, but that's outside the scope of this conversation haha.

You could even set up a custom Reward for your tattoo once you've gotten enough rewards to justify it.

If the gamification idea doesn't work for you - make it a policy to post how much you were under/over your calories for the day on Facebook or something. That way, you'll feel accountable to your FB friends.

That actually sounds really cool! I will check it out! Thanks!
  • mlyn627
    Options
    I need to set goals I think I need small ones to keep me motivated. I will set small goals and see how I do, then I will adjust accordingly.

Thanks for all the replies, you guys are great!
  • jwol80
    jwol80 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Take the pressure off. You will have good days; You will have bad days (ie: you will cheat).

Cheating does not mean you failed. It means you had a day where you ate a bit more. Just keep going, and keep logging your food.

You're seeking a lifestyle change here, not a quick fix. Stop weighing in daily, and just stick to the calorie count MFP calculated for you. You will get there, even if you cheat every now and then. There is no failure, until you give up and return to your old lifestyle entirely.

This is excellent advice, I'm stealing it for myself :)
  • happieharpie
    happieharpie Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    I knew myself well enough to know that I had always been crazed by numbers, so my goal, from the very beginning, was to eat one delicious meal planned to be packed with my nutritional needs, and not eat after it until it was time for my next meal.

This has proven more powerful and more successful than anything I have ever done. I never go off and on, I'm never a failure or a success, and Glory Be, I'm never focused on the damn number.

I suffered the loss of a loved one in the spring, and my number loss slowed to a crawl, but with very few exceptions, my goal remained stable and manageable.

Give it a try. See if this perspective could work for you!
  • RaspberryKeytoneBoondoggle
    Options
    My only goals when I was losing weight were to accurately track what I ate, review my little weekly mfp graph to see how I did, and to to average a deficit by the end of the week. Even if my deficit wasn't perfectly on target, as long as I didn't go over TDEE I was satisfied. It's simple which make it easier to adhere to, it's specific and measurable so I can be objective, and I'm more likely to feel successful if I don't put too many high expectations on myself. It worked beautifully.
  • markrichtsspraytan
    Options
    Set a goal that will be achievable. 2lbs a week is a great goal. Set a goal of losing 10-12lbs a month. This will change after a few months as it is harder to lose. If you are craving something, set a goal to make yourself wait and at the end of the week you want it, treat yourself to it. Don't ban yourself from things that you want because you will binge and over eat and your 2lbs/wk goal will be blown. Take it slow and you will be successful.

2lbs per week is more than most people will reasonably lose each month. 10-12 lbs per month is more than 2 lbs per week. Unless OP has a very large amount of weight to lose, setting her goals like this will be unrealistic and end up getting her down if she can't meet them (most people could no meet these goals).

IMO goals should not be weight-loss based but rather diet and exercise based. Results will follow as a natural consequence of discipline in those areas. Maybe loss of inches as a goal, but so many things can affect the scale number that it is not a good idea to use that for short term goals.
  • amy8400
    amy8400 Posts: 478 Member
    Options
    Mini goals are just a way of staying focused and on track toward your end goal. So if you feel your goal is a daunting challenge, mini goals are just stepping stones on the way and keep you motivated and less likely to give up.

I celebrated my one year anniversary (34 pounds lost) with a visit to a piercing and tattoo studio last night. The holes in my ears had closed up when I was 18 and for 36 years I've worn clip earrings. So I celebrated my one year--not so much the pounds lost but the commitment--with newly pierced ears. Now whenever I put on earrings, I'll think to this moment and remember what it took to get here.

I've celebrated other mini goals (every 5 pounds lost and kept off or achieving a new fitness goal) with an ankle bracelet, new workout capris, lifting gloves, hand weights, sexy new shoes and new kitchen storage and organization tools (clear plastic shelves for the refrigerator and some glass storage containers) and lastly a huge bottle of St. Tropez tanning foam (it is expensive at $49 but it is super stuff and covers my veins well.) I basically use my mini goal rewards for enhancements to my new lifestyle.

But honestly, the rewards aren't what I motivates me. More so, they are things that I use to help me see I've reached a new level of success.
  • _runnerbean_
    _runnerbean_ Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    There is an open group on MFP called "lose 5lb in September" - it runs every month and you post your current weight every week and your aim for the end of the month. I have done it for two months now and found it a great incentive to keep going. There will be a new page starting for October. Other goals that might suit you are to drop a dress size, lose 10% of your body weight, walk 10k steps every day, train for a 5k run.