Hi all! Super excited to start this journey!

Options
Hi All! My Day 1 was yesterday. I stepped on the scale first thing in the morning and decided right then and there that it was time for me to start taking care of ME, finally. I have been so busy raising my children and dedicating all my time to my career and children that I put myself on the back burner. Always. I always come last because I never make myself a priority. For some reason it clicked yesterday. I am ready. I need to be good to ME once and for all. I am currently at my all time highest weight. 267. Gulp. I can't even fathom. It's such a high number. How am I EVER going to be at a NORMAL weight?? That's why I am here. I started the journey yesterday and I am thrilled to have found this forum/group/app.

In the past I have lost 20-30 lbs quickly through fad diets but then I crave carbs and comfort food so bad that I binge eat and gain all the weight back, with interest. And I get cocky! When I go down a size I somehow decide I can eat whatever and whenever I want again and that screws it all up! I eat when I'm happy, I eat to celebrate, I eat when I'm stressed. My weakness has always been carbs. Anything Italian - pizza, pasta, breads, etc. And anything baked. I LOVE sweets. Especially cupcakes!! I love to cook and bake. I love trying new recipes and am looking forward to discovering/trying/inventing new healthy recipes that don't taste like cardboard. :tongue:

I realize, finally, that I am NOT putting myself on a "diet" this time. I am going to change the way I think about food, stop binge eating and have a goal to simply BE healthier by putting healthier foods into my body and in the correct portions.

I haven't exercised regularly for 7 years. I used to be in a relationship where my partner PAID me to lose weight. He wanted me to lose the weight SO BAD. I was promised a trip to anywhere in the world, a brand new wardrobe, anything I wanted, if I would JUST lose the weight! Did I ? Nope. I couldn't do it for him. I wasn't ready to change my bad habits. I started exercising again yesterday. Very light - just 30 min. of fast walking with my baby in the stroller. Afterwards I felt GOOD. I worked up a moderate sweat. But I am lost when it comes to exercise. How often, what intensity, do I need to eat anything in particular before or after a workout, etc. There is just SO much info/advice out there that it gets confusing. So I will definitely be searching the forums in regards to exercise for beginners.

Any and all (positive) input is welcomed and appreciated! I am going to be on this journey for a while! My goal weight is 160 lbs. That means I will need to lose 107 lbs!! I am not really giving myself a time limit because I have no idea how long it will take. I am just taking it DAY by DAY. Baby steps because this is going to be hard but I will do it no matter what. I will not stop until I reach that goal weight. And even then it will be a lifelong journey of maintenance.

I set my profile to "public" so I think anyone can view my eating/exercise logs. I need input and encouragement! Cheers to me and to all of you on this life changing journey!! We can do this!! :flowerforyou:

Replies

• melissa968
    melissa968 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on making you a priority!
    I can certainly relate to the carb addiction. I love anything pasta, cake, sugar, donuts...well, you get it. I changed my eating habits 2 years ago to align to the atkins way of eating. I studied up the science and followed it faithfully. After the first two weeks I had no problem at all saying no to carbs! It was amazing! I didn't think about the carbs I wasn't allowed to eat and I felt better than I had in many, many years. 5 months into it we went on a vacation and I got cocky and decided I would let myself splurge on whatever I wanted. Such a huge mistake. I tried getting right back on it but kept falling off because I had had that taste for carbs and couldn't get it out of my mind. Long story short, I have gained more than I lost back. I decided on Monday to take back my health and change my way of eating and get out and exercise.

Take it day by day but get up every morning telling yourself that you are a priority and make the commitment to yourself. You can do it!
  • icanplay3
    icanplay3 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    Thank you!! UGGH those carbs!! They are the devil. lol

Congrats to you for getting back on track! And yes! I always get cocky after losing around 20 lbs...so yeah...sticking with it to the end this time is the plan. No more getting cocky and sabotaging!
  • records1138
    Options
    Great to hear you're taking time to work on you. That's something so many people neglect to do. I just started three or four days ago, and I don't look at it as dieting. I look at it as eating my recommended daily intake (or less) as opposed to overeating like I'm accustomed to. MFP really helps because it puts right in front of your face what you're eating vs. how much you should for the day. Add me as a friend if you need motivation and encouragement!
  • kirssienbre
    kirssienbre Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Taking the time for you is so important, not just physically but mentally as well. I know last year at the beginning of the year I changed my eating habits and was dropping weight about 2lbs a week. I was feeling so good about myself and lost 50 lbs. I had a meal that I was not used to eating and lost control. I gained 20lbs back and then decided to try again. Shortly after that I became pregnant. Needless to say I put all the weight back on, and then some. After having my baby who is now a month old I dropped 14lbs. I want to try my hand at it again to lose weight and be healthy for me.
  • icanplay3
    Options
    Records1138 I added you. I think we both need motivation and encouragement! I am happy to oblige. :)
  • icanplay3
    Options
    Taking the time for you is so important, not just physically but mentally as well. I know last year at the beginning of the year I changed my eating habits and was dropping weight about 2lbs a week. I was feeling so good about myself and lost 50 lbs. I had a meal that I was not used to eating and lost control. I gained 20lbs back and then decided to try again. Shortly after that I became pregnant. Needless to say I put all the weight back on, and then some. After having my baby who is now a month old I dropped 14lbs. I want to try my hand at it again to lose weight and be healthy for me.

kirssienbre I also added you. Congrats on the new baby! I have a 3 mo old son and I am also ready to get fit, finally!! Taking time for yourself and making yourself a priority is something that is VERY new to me. I almost feel selfish when I think about leaving my family at home for an hour to work out at the gym. :/
  • figfighter
    figfighter Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Hi I added you as a friend. I'm trying to make my health a priority, too, but I also know how hard it is while taking care of a family. I'm also really nervous about posting on forums so....
  • DEVINinMN
    DEVINinMN Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    You've come to the right place! The members here are really supportive and helpful. I just recently started here also and they've really made me feel welcome and have helped me get it together when I had a couple bad eating episodes. Make sure you enter the food you eat in your food diary daily! That has been key for me to see how much I've actually been eating and how many calories are in things. Good luck and stay with it, come here daily, and never hold back if you have a question! There are many many wonderful and knowledgeable people here willing to share their ideas and give their 2 cents! You can do this!
  • icanplay3
    Options
    Hi I added you as a friend. I'm trying to make my health a priority, too, but I also know how hard it is while taking care of a family. I'm also really nervous about posting on forums so....

Hi figfighter! Thanks for the add! We can do this!
  • icanplay3
    Options
    You've come to the right place! The members here are really supportive and helpful. I just recently started here also and they've really made me feel welcome and have helped me get it together when I had a couple bad eating episodes. Make sure you enter the food you eat in your food diary daily! That has been key for me to see how much I've actually been eating and how many calories are in things. Good luck and stay with it, come here daily, and never hold back if you have a question! There are many many wonderful and knowledgeable people here willing to share their ideas and give their 2 cents! You can do this!

Hi Devinin MN! Thanks so much for the advice. I plan on tracking daily. I am so excited to have an arsenal of knowledge and support here! Winter is coming soon and I am going to be tempted to cook/bake all those comfort foods so I will be needing some encouragement to stay on track!! Its easy to cover up extra pounds in the winter months when you live in the Midwest lol
  • andre1984
    andre1984 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone, Its good to see a network of individuals with positive attitudes. I definitely can use some of those goods vibes to help me reach my goal of for once being completely healthy and really creating the habit of making healthier decisions. I have learned through many failed ventures that the foundation for success starts with your health and the foundation for your health is how you take care of yourself. I hunger to make that change for the better and for my growing family.
  • figfighter
    Options
    If it's about comfort foods I've got a few recipes that are healthier versions - like chili and pot pie. I've got a husband and kids who like comfort foods (I do, too) and I'm trying to get us all eating the same things, so I'm trying to find recipes that work for us all. I haven't been active on the forums, so I don't know if there is a recipe exchange or something, but I'd be interested in something like that.
  • icanplay3
    Options
    Figfighter I would also love to find some new healthier versions of comfort food recipes! I don't like the idea of cooking two separate meals at home. So ideally I would just start cooking things we can all eat and still enjoy.
  • figfighter
    Options
    I just saw that there is a whole recipe section in the forums :) I guess we can post there. I'll look up the two I was thinking of. I got them online so I just need to link them. And then we can keep sharing as we find good ones. I definitely can't keep up with eating different food from my kids and husband. I lost weight that way when my first two kids were toddlers - it was somehow easy enough then. But now I have big kids and it just doesn't work out. Plus, my whole family might as well eat healthy food...is what I think :) And there is a better feeling when you all eat the same thing together.
  • melissa968
    melissa968 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Pinterest has TONS of low carb, sugar-free recipes for anything you can imagine. It's where I find all of my new recipes. Just be careful! It's extremely easy to get caught up in the pinning and never making anything! lol
  • ellaraenae1
    ellaraenae1 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I have gained and lost for the last couple of years --

My husband and I just got home from a cruise and have a wedding to go to --

If the cruise pictures didn't tell me enough fitting into a dress for cocktail wedding certainly did ---

I'm here to support you and encourage you --

My daughter gave me the crossfit eating right thing --

First week 4.4 pounds, the wedding is in a couple of hours and I'm ready for fun, dancing and moderate eating and drinking --

I know you can do it --- because everyone responding to you is routing for you --

Congrats on taking the first steps --
  • bfergusonii
    bfergusonii Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on deciding to do this for yourself and welcome to MFP. There are a really lot of great people here that are all experiencing a lot of the same things you are going through.

Over the years I tried many different "diets" and always got bored or frustrated and quit.

This is the only thing I have done that feels like I could do it for the rest of my life.

Baby steps and keep you eye on the prize.

Feel free to add me to your list of supporters.
  • C5North
    C5North Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    You've taken the hardest step. The first one. You can do it. I've only recently started mytself. 2 months ago I was at my all time high and now I am down 30 pounds... with many, many more to go.

Record your food and never stop. I'll be doing this for the rest of my life. I HAVE to. more importantly I want to.
    Exercise a bit.
    Always be brutally honest with yourself and maintain a high level of accountability.

Day by day it works. It probably took you some time to put the weight on. I know I've been working on getitng fat for 10 years. It won't come off overnight.

NEVER be frustraited or discouraged. Just stay the path. It will work and you can do it.

We all can.
  • Calren2
    Options
    Hey icanplay! Welcome to MyFitnessPal! It's great that you want to make a change, and based on what you've said I think you are in the right mindset for achieving your goals. You're exactly right about fad dieting, we're all better off by making better decisions and focusing on portion control. As the saying goes, "abs are made in the kitchen."

As far as working out goes, the honest truth that many articles and blogs on the internet don't like is that it's hard even for a trainer to give advice without knowing where you're at fitness-wise. In a nutshell, you should be starting with a routine that strengthens your core - spine, pelvis, ribs, hibs. Not doing so would be, to steal from the bible for grins, "like a foolish man who builds his house upon the sand." The American Council on Exercise has a core workout routine, among others, available on their website. Here's a direct link to the one I'm referencing: http://www.acefitness.org/acefit/fitness_programs_core_workout.aspx?workoutid=5

The only other bit of advice I can give is if some weeks you don't lose anything, or gain a little back, don't let it get you down. Just take a short breather, then examine your diary and see if there was something out of the ordinary that threw you off. Once again, welcome to the community!