Keeping warm on runs

Options
I went for a run a couple of days ago, quite late at night and I was freezing :frown: , despite moving fairly fast. I was only wearing a T shirt and a compression top; I have no idea what material it is.

What sort of materials should I look for in running clothes? Polypropylene? Lycra?

Replies

• SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage
    Options
    Layers. And no cotton.

During the chilly winter months, I wear either capri or full length running tights, a long sleeved technical shirt and my Sugoi Versa jacket. My jacket has long sleeves that are magnetic, so I can take them off if I get too warm (and tuck them into the pouch pocket in back), leaving me with a vest over my long sleeved shirt. Some people prefer a short sleeved shirt and running sleeves, which you can purchase at any running store.

If it's really chilly I will also wear and ear-warming headband that I can slip off easily if I start to overheat. Sometimes running gloves but only when it's really chilly.

Cotton is a no-go. It absorbs sweat and then you will freeze your butt off (and smell nasty too).

Edited for typo
    Options
    Oh and I see you went late at night....make sure you are seen. Reflective gear, head lamp, etc.
  • IsaackGMOON
    IsaackGMOON Posts: 3,358 Member
    Options
    Wow, here I was thinking cotton would be a good choice :blushing:

I'll go to a running shop and see what they have, does branding really matter or can I get off-brands which work just as well as big brands?
  • soxobsessed
    soxobsessed Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    I get all my stuff at TJ Maxx and Marshalls, no need to spend alot
    Options
    Wow, here I was thinking cotton would be a good choice :blushing:

I'll go to a running shop and see what they have, does branding really matter or can I get off-brands which work just as well as big brands?
    In my experience, branding doesn't matter much. I do have my fave brands for certain things and I believe Sugoi and Ron Hill are the only ones that make the magnetic sleeve jacket concept but it's not necessary to have any fancy stuff. As long as you are comfortable, that's really what matters.
  • autumnblade75
    autumnblade75 Posts: 1,660 Member
    Options
    I happen to like cotton pretty well, and it hasn't been unkind to me yet. I am actually replying to point out that I just read about a study where they found that synthetic gear is friendlier to the smelly bacteria that grow in your sweat. Cotton is actually going to be less smelly than a tech fabric.

Wool is warm when wet, so I hear that's a great way to go. I am a fan of layers. Mostly cotton, for me.
  • jrline
    jrline Posts: 2,353 Member
    Options
    as it gets to be winter layers I was jogging in January when it was 0 Fahrenheit

29509743.png
  • opus649
    opus649 Posts: 633 Member
    Options
    Not to disagree with BinkyBonk because I think we're on the same page, but cotton is ok for outer layers. I *always* run in some kind of microfiber undershirt for the exact reasons that BinkyBonk mentions - cotton will get wet and stick to you causing all kinds of unpleasantness. But if you're wearing a compression shirt or technical shirt underneath, a cotton t-shirt over it will not cause any problems.

I've run in fairly low temperatures wearing a long sleeve compression shirt, cotton t-shirt, and track pants. And I'd add thin gloves or a throat-cover before a full outer layer if it's going to be colder.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    You can definitely get cheaper brands that are just as good. Some of my favorite tops I purchased at Wal-Mart, Old Navy and Target. You just need to make sure they specify "dri-fit", "wicking", etc.

I live where it's hot, not cold but I've done a few sub-freezing runs on winter mornings. On shorter runs, I end up keeping most of what I start out in on the entire run. but I heat up pretty quickly so while I'll start with a running jacket, gloves, etc. I end up shedding most of it by a couple of miles in. The parts I've found I need to keep covered up regardless are my ears and my ankles. I wear compression capris for most cold runs and start out with gloves and a jacket over a long sleeved technical shirt. I always wear some sort of ear protection (usually a Bondi band at full width and pulled over my ears) and I wear longer socks.
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    Cotton is the worst thing you can wear. It holds moisture. So unless you want to be chaffed within an inch of your life avoid it also gets heavy as it gets wet. Go for manmade technical fibres. As much as you can get cheaper brands that will be made of similar materials go for the best you can afford you'll find the finish and design of the more expensive ones a lot better and the seams etc will all be flat (or seamless) in comparison to cheaper brands so less likely to rub or irritate. Once you've worn the better quality ones you realise the huge comfort difference. Keep an eye out for end of season sales etc you can then pick up quality makes at good prices.

I wear shorts until it's almost below freezing I find my legs really don't get very cold after that I either wear 3/4 or full tights. As for tops I wear a compression top all year round under whatever other tops I'm wearing (so no runners nipple for me) and I may have one or two layers over that or a shell top. Only if it's stupidly cold would I wear much more than that. It will all depend on the type of temperatures you get and how you feel the cold. I don't feel it too much cold when running as long as my hands and head are warm I'm normally pretty good (get a good hat)
    Options
    Not to disagree with BinkyBonk because I think we're on the same page, but cotton is ok for outer layers. I *always* run in some kind of microfiber undershirt for the exact reasons that BinkyBonk mentions - cotton will get wet and stick to you causing all kinds of unpleasantness. But if you're wearing a compression shirt or technical shirt underneath, a cotton t-shirt over it will not cause any problems.
    Yes, good point.
  • goanothermile
    goanothermile Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    One of my running group trainers had the saying "Cotton is rotten!"

Brand doesn't matter.

Layering is the key to cooler weather running. You want to build a running wardrobe that is flexible enough to mix and match.

Adding a compression t-shirt or long sleeve compression shirt helps. Next comes a pullover or jacket. The ones with removable sleeves are great. For really cold winter runs, a heavy compression shirt and heavier jacket may be needed.

Not too many options for bottoms as it gets colder. Shorts, then maybe shorts with calf sleeves, then tights for the coldest weather. I wear compression shorts underneath my running shorts year round to avoid unpleasant chafing.

A couple of good hats and some lightweight gloves pretty much round it out for most of my winter running.

The final piece is a rain jacket.

For socks, I prefer merino wool but have others that work fine. I have a couple of pairs of taller socks but mostly wear ankle socks year round.

I prefer bright colors for jackets and shirts, with black or grey bottoms.