How do you breathe when doing cardio?

Options
What is the correct way to breathe while doing intense cardio?
Do you breathe through your nose, or do you breathe through your mouth?
Also, I know that certain activities like yoga, lays specific importance on breathing patterns. Is there any such pattern i need to follow while doing cardio?

Thanks !!

Replies

• kshadows
    kshadows Posts: 1,315 Member
    Options
    I breathe in and out through both my mouth and nose when I'm doing most cardio. I breathe as slow and steadily as I can. I mainly run, so I focus on keeping it even: breathe in for 4 paces, out for 4 paces.

Pilates and yoga usually have specific breathing patterns with the exercises.
  • tulips_and_tea
    tulips_and_tea Posts: 5,716 Member
    Options
    Try to NOT breathe through your mouth! It will wear you out faster (IMHO). I breathe deeply and slowly as possible through my nose, even during intense cardio. Breathing that way, making sure you completely fill your lungs with each breath has helped my endurance immensely!

It means you cannot visit or chit-chat while working out, but I personally refuse to talk to anyone while I'm focusing on my workout anyway.
  • Chief_Rocka
    Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member
    Options
    Is there any such pattern i need to follow while doing cardio?

In, Out
  • JTick
    JTick Posts: 2,131 Member
    Options

In, Out

What about Out, In? Is that acceptable?
  • jstarr820
    jstarr820 Posts: 13 Member
    Options

In, Out

How about out-out, In-In ??
  • Amanda4change
    Amanda4change Posts: 620 Member
    Options
    Most of my cardio is jogging/running It sounds stupid but I run to military cadence songs and follow along with them. It really helps keep my breathing in line. This was "taught" to me by my old cross country coach in high school. I do know that if I do it I am not nearly as out of breath (nor having the side pain) that I am when I don't do it. For this it's in through the nose and out through the mouth.
  • onefortyone
    onefortyone Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    I am a mouth breather. I have long believed that my nostrils are way too fricking tiny to draw in enough oxygen for me to survive on, unless I'm standing/sitting and not moving much.

For 'easier' cardio (not going 100%) I keep my teeth closed but mouth slightly open. For heavier cardio I have no problems with my mouth being wide open. I try to breathe deeply and slowly, instead of shallow and fast.
  • JTick
    Options

In, Out

How about out-out, In-In ??

That sounds more like lamaze.
  • opus649
    opus649 Posts: 633 Member
    Options
    I mainly run, so I focus on keeping it even: breathe in for 4 paces, out for 4 paces.

Ditto. And a good way to tell when my heart rate has increased is when I can no longer get enough oxygen at this pace and I have to start breathing 2 in, 2 out. So I try to keep it 4 and 4 as long as I can because I know once I've gone 2-2 I'm into more of a lactate-threshold area.

Also, I tried like hell to breathe in through my nose and I just can't. My nasal airways are just too narrow. The only tangible effect I've noticed is the increased likelihood of accidentally swallowing a bug. So there's that.
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    What is the correct way to breathe while doing intense cardio?
    Do you breathe through your nose, or do you breathe through your mouth?
    Also, I know that certain activities like yoga, lays specific importance on breathing patterns. Is there any such pattern i need to follow while doing cardio?

Thanks !!
    The correct way is what works for you. I normally don't even think about it. Maybe you're over thinking a little
  • davert123
    davert123 Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    in and out works for me too. Breathing is all about getting oxygen into your lungs so as long as it ends up there I don't think it matters what route it takes :-)
  • Pipsg1rl
    Pipsg1rl Posts: 1,414 Member
    Options
    In an article I read in Men's Health it suggested to do an odd pattern to prevent the stitch in your side. I think it may have been in 3, out 2.

(It was a few months back and I have a current subscription, so it's not an old article).

I try to do in nose, out mouth but I'm not a "runner."
  • chivalryder
    chivalryder Posts: 4,391 Member
    Options
    The biggest suggestion I can give is breath deep, breathe slowly, and breathe big, especially when digging deep and going hard. Your instinct will be to start taking quick, shallow breathes. This isn't good for you as you won't get as much oxygen. Focus on breathing slowly and filling your entire lungs.

Also, while going hard, you may have a tendency to subconsciously hold your breath. This is also bad. Again, focus on your breathing and try to take long, deep breaths.

ETA: It doesn't matter whether you breathe through your nose or mouth, even when it's cold outside. The temperature difference by the time it reaches your lungs in negligible. It will be cold either way. :P
  • Chief_Rocka
    Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member
    Options

In, Out

I'm pretty sure you have to go in first
  • maizerage66
    maizerage66 Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    Breathe in, breathe out. Repeat. Just breathe
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    I breathe in and out through both my mouth and nose when I'm doing most cardio. I breathe as slow and steadily as I can. I mainly run, so I focus on keeping it even: breathe in for 4 paces, out for 4 paces.

^^^ Pretty much this, deep and relaxed. When I'm running slow and steady (which is what builds endurance) it's 4 in 4 out, when I do a tempo run it ma be 2 in 2 out.
  • KameHameHaaaa
    KameHameHaaaa Posts: 837 Member
    Options
    I'm a horrible mouth breather lol. And I find myself becoming out of breath easier when I breathe that way. I've been trying to breathe in through my nose and out through my mouth. It's helped with the feelings of lightheadedness I would usually get.
  • maizerage66
    maizerage66 Posts: 367 Member
    Options

In, Out

Agreed. I like to ease my way in, going too fast too soon hurts too much.
  • JTick
    Options

In, Out

thats-what-she-said.gif
  • ValGogo
    ValGogo Posts: 2,168 Member
    Options
    mostly nose but when I pant it's through my mouth too. And when I really exert I "CHSSSSHHHH" it out like a boxer.

Sometimes I breathe througth my pores like a lizard. (haha)