Weight loss while going through fertility/hormone therapy

Options
So I have PCOS. Weight is controlled while on birth control pill. Have been off it for 10 months now TTC. Have gained 30lbs while off pill. I have now started taking Progesterone to induce a menstrual cycle since I haven't had one in 10 months and am for sure not pregnant. Despite exercising regularly and even eliminating fried food, chocolate and only having ice cream once in the past 2 weeks I've put on another 5 pounds in the past 4 days I don't understand. I know hormones can make you gain weight but seriously this much?

What I'm confused with...I know fertility treatments work best when your BMI is around 25, mine was 29 and now slipped to 30 with those last 5pounds. How am I supposed to get my weight down to a healthy category to improve my odds when all the meds and my hormone levels are making it that much more difficult? They won't put me on Metformin until they have finished their tests and labs on me. I have my calories set at 1,700 right now. I find when I put it down to 1,500 I am STARVING like can't focus feel sick type hunger.
Can anyone help or offer suggestions? Thanks in advance!

Replies

• jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    I have PCOS and went through IF. What helped me was reducing grains and added sugars (i.e., sweets, not fruit) I didn't cut them out entirely but I reduced them to one serving every other day or so. The vast majority of my carbs were from fresh veggies and fruit. I started that around a year after my RE said "pregnancy is not going to happen, you need to consider a surrogate, adoption, or a life without children." HIt the 25 pound lost point within 4 months and got pregnant soon thereafter.
  • SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage
    Options
    I don't have PCOS but I do have POF (premature ovarian failure) and did IF. I was told much the same story....lose weight or it won't work. I was obese at the time and felt hopeless. Then I was diagnosed with thyroid cancer. You can imagine what all of this hormone silliness did to me.

Got the cancer dealt with and then lost 90 lbs. First round of IF didn't work, second one did. We now have a healthy 4 year old boy. It was all worth it, every last heart-breaking minute.

The ONLY way to lose weight is to eat at a deficit. Period (sorry, no pun intended). Track your calories religiously. Don't look for shortcuts. IF is a very emotional and costly process so you need to do EVERYTHING you can to increase your odds of success.

I wish you all the best in this journey. It's not going to be easy, but I hope you will be successful.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    I don't have PCOS but I do have POF (premature ovarian failure) and did IF. I was told much the same story....lose weight or it won't work. I was obese at the time and felt hopeless. Then I was diagnosed with thyroid cancer. You can imagine what all of this hormone silliness did to me.

Got the cancer dealt with and then lost 90 lbs. First round of IF didn't work, second one did. We now have a healthy 4 year old boy. It was all worth it, every last heart-breaking minute.

The ONLY way to lose weight is to eat at a deficit. Period (sorry, no pun intended). Track your calories religiously. Don't look for shortcuts. IF is a very emotional and costly process so you need to do EVERYTHING you can to increase your odds of success.

I wish you all the best in this journey. It's not going to be easy, but I hope you will be successful.
    Ouch, hard time getting there, but Congrats on your little one.
    OP see the part she says track your calories and eat at a deficit, THIS