Treadmill vs outdoor running

Options
I'm on week 4 of C25K and I hope to graduate and continue running afterwards. I currently run outdoor on the sidewalk and roads but when winter comes around I'm not sure how practical that will be. The path I take is quite hilly and I don't think it's safe to be running down or uphill when there's snow and ice.
I figure I can use the gym on my college campus. How does the treadmill compare to running outdoors? Is it easier? Harder? Share any information or experience you have!

Replies

• slvrsrfr
    slvrsrfr Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Treadmills are easier. But choosing an incline of 1% roughly approximates
    running outdoors on a flat path.

However, if after months on a treadmill you head outside, take it easy as
    the asphalt/road/path/etc. is waaaay harder, so watch for impact injuries.
  • pbandbananas1996
    pbandbananas1996 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I've heard that running outside is better because there's usually a higher incline. But, you can apparently achieve the same result by running on the treadmill at an incline of about 1.0-1.5.
  • PaytraB
    PaytraB Posts: 2,360 Member
    Options
    Transitioning to either one takes a little bit of time. They are both different ways of running.
    Running outdoors, your speed varies a little to adjust to terrain, your breathing, etc. You don't think about it, it just adjusts itself according to your need. On a treadmill, the speed is set, without variation, and that takes a bit of adjusting.
    Running on the treadmill is running on the spot, so you don't propel yourself forward. When you transition back outside after some time on the treadmill, you'll find yourself tiring quicker for a few runs until those muscles strengthen up again. Some say that running with the treadmill at an incline of 2 simulates this a little bit.

I try to run outdoors as much as possible but, like you, it's not always wise in the winter. I run on the treadmill over winter and try to get out for a run on the weekends, if it's not icy.
    But, don't sweat it. Run however you have to run and stay safe. The transitions aren't hard and it doesn't take a lot of time to adjust. Just expect it and take it in stride.
    Congratulations on making it to Week 4. That's great!
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    For me, the treadmill is more difficult to run on than the ground outside. Neither is better or worse, it's personal preference.
  • maidentl
    maidentl Posts: 3,203 Member
    Options
    Transitioning to either one takes a little bit of time.

This! Switching from whichever one you're used to is going to be challenging, but you'll adapt quickly.
  • mrsmcmo
    mrsmcmo Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I find running outdoors significantly more difficult than running on a treadmill. Even when I have my treadmill at an incline.