Substitute for bacon. Help please

Options
2»

Replies

• DS13
    DS13 Posts: 136
    Options
    I've tried turkey bacon and it tastes a lot better than I thought it would. Low in calories so you can eat more of it. One thing though is I couldn't manage to make it crunchy like how I like normal bacon so I'm back to normal bacon. I eat Smithyfield bacon which is 80 calories for 2 slices and 6g of fat. And I bought it wholesale so I got 3 packages for around 12 dollars, which comes to about 24 servings total.
  • Calicoskies
    Calicoskies Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Oscar Mayer center cut bacon is 23 cals per slice. Great taste. I don't eat it often but when I do it's only that bacon. I love love love bacon.
  • meggonkgonk
    meggonkgonk Posts: 2,066 Member
    Options
    I know this is in no way a substitute for bacon, but since you are having eggs- it's an excellent opportunity to get some veggies in- peppers, onions, tomatoes or spinach. Maybe you can add the veggies and have less bacon?
  • dwarfer22
    dwarfer22 Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    Not a great sub but I also love me some bacon but I will never buy it cuz I'll eat it all and OMG i'd die. So, I usually throw some lunch meat (ham) in the pan I am cooking my eggs with. I just use the thin slice deli stuff in a pack and it's not bad. 2oz. is 80 cals, and I usually only need like 2 slices which is about 1 oz. The pan frying kinda crisps it up and it has a yummy flavor then. Everyone try it now. :tongue:
  • texexscott
    Options
    I'll probably make some people crazy with this but why substitute anything? I eat breakfast every day and always have. One difference now is that I use the food dairy here to record what I eat. I have a theory that makes sense to me-and my doctor-and some friends I talk to. I do not forbid myself bacon. Instead I balance it some way to still keep on target for my goals and losing weight. For instance, I skip the toast, or maybe go with one egg-not two or eggbeaters if you can handle them. I found serveral ways to cook eggbeaters that tasts really good. I always have bacon in my fridge. I buy the thick kind and the when I get home cut the entire package in half and freeze one half. When I want bacon (which is not every day) I cook two halfs - slowly so they don't shrink up as much and when crisp drain any grease and put in between paper towels to get as much grease as possible out. Like you said--it is 80 calories--I say it is only 80 calories. Add an egg-up to about 180 calories or eggbeaters less and with those-add shaved parm.which is very low in fat and caloroies and melts in a eggbeater omellette. If you really don't like eggbeaters try them with the parm-omellete style--and fresh spinach rocks (amazing-you have to try it to believe). I then put salsa--but if you don't like that don't . So lets say you are now at 200 calories, add fat free milk-now 280 calories-add one/half slice oroweat sanwich or bagel thins--350 calories-low fat LOLakes butter-now at 400 calories. I keep my breakfast under 500 and usualy it is more like 350-or 375 but one or two days at 400 is not criminal and will not stop your progress. Anyway--it works for me so just thowing it out there. I don't believe in forbidding myself-it just makes me want it more and in the past--that was a real problem. Portion sizes, count the calories, balance the rest of the day and stay happy and satisfied!
  • texexscott
    Options
    One more thing-to me turkey bacon tastes like cardboard. But check out labels--there are lower cal. bacons. But-I get the thick and the two half slice eaten one bite at a time (resist urge to eat it all at once) really satisfies me. And I put it all on a small plate.