NutritionMd.Org - Apple Cinnamon Oatmeal (Vegan

Options
Try this - I added it to the database this morning. My sister just started a 21 day vegan challenge and this is on the menu. This is fantastic oatmeal, is quick and easy like instant oatmeal packets, and is inexpensive.

Listed on MFP as:
NutritionMd.Org - Apple Cinnamon Oatmeal (Vegan)

http://www.nutritionmd.org/recipes/view.html?recipe_id=18

Apple Cinnamon Oatmeal

Makes 2 1-cup servings

1 cup old-fashioned or quick-cooking oats
2/3 cup apple juice concentrate
1 1/3 cups water
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 cup raisins or currants (optional)
Combine oats, apple juice concentrate, water, and cinnamon in a saucepan. Bring to a simmer, then cover and cook 3 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in raisins or currants, if using. Let stand 3 minutes before serving.

Per 1-cup serving

Calories: 312
Fat: 2.9 g
Saturated Fat: 0.5 g
Calories from Fat: 8.4%
Cholesterol: 0 mg
Protein: 7 g
Carbohydrates: 66 g
Sugar: 32.9 g
Fiber: 4.7 g
Sodium: 29 mg
Calcium: 51 mg
Iron: 2.8 mg
Vitamin C: 2.1 mg
Beta Carotene: 0 mcg
Vitamin E: 0.3 mg
Source: Healthy Eating for Life to Prevent and Treat Cancer by Vesanto Melina, M.S., R.D.; recipe by Jennifer Raymond, M.S., R.D.

Replies

• robin52077
    robin52077 Posts: 4,383 Member
    Options
    That sounds good. I do something similar but I use no sugar added apple sauce, not apple juice, with raisins and cinnamon, and I toss it in the microwave because I'm lazy, and that way I don't have to wash the pan. ;)
  • flbeachbuddy
    flbeachbuddy Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Sounds good, I will have to try it.

I eat oatmeal most days - did you know that if you just heat the water, mix it and COVER the bowl or cup, even the whole oats cooks in just about 3 minutes. My niece told me about this. It is very handy especially when you have access to a hot water dispenser!

Here's another recipe - broccoli, raisins and a small amount of walnuts, with a little coleslaw dressing. Yum!