Slim Fast

Options
How does everyone feel about Slim Fast? I am using it as a way to jump start my diet but I am afraid I am gonna be hungry :/

Replies

• MartiWillett
    MartiWillett Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I was hungry when I did it, but I only used the shakes. I haven't tried their bars or anything so maybe those are more filling. I did, however, get very sick of the shakes.
  • jennylynn84
    Options
    I used it back in the day and lost some weight with it. The problem is that it doesn't teach you how to eat any better because you're just eating slim fast.

In and of itself its not bad I guess. Personally, I'd rather eat food. When I try to have a smoothie or anything like that I usually don't FEEL like I've eaten. Not that I'm hungry, but that I cheated myself out of being able to eat. That's just me though. I like FOOD. LOL.
  • cassandra77
    Options
    HI Marti. Did you lose any weight with it? I have tried the bars but they make me sick... not sure why.
  • qtwells82
    qtwells82 Posts: 352
    Options
    I replace my breakfast with a shake. Sometimes my lunch as well.
    I havent found myelf to be hungry much. But i guess its different for everybody.
  • cassandra77
    Options
    Ya... I really like food too lol That's my problem and I am a binge eater so just Slim Fast will be a challenge.
  • MsTrudy66
    MsTrudy66 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I drank Slim Fast every day for lunch in high school in the 80's. LOL! Seriously, I was hungry all the time. It didn't fill me up like a good low fat protein would, and something higher in fiber. Healthy real food is always the best thing. Teach yourself to enjoy wholesome food, and that's what you will start to crave. Good luck!!
  • Meganne1982
    Options
    Early in college I had a slim fast phase- but it's not a good choice in the long run. It's full of sugar and chemicals, and yeah it has some added viatmins- but just take a vitamin. I believe processed foods are why America is so fat, and most of our "diet" foods are as processed as it gets!
  • MartiWillett
    MartiWillett Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I did lose some weight, but I gained it back when I quit the program. I think for me I learned its better to just watch my cal intake and eat healthier options. Unfortunatley weight loss can't be sped up lol. But depending on how much weight you have to lose it might work for you...
  • buggials
    Options
    I did it for awhile it got old fast. Everything I could find was chocolate.
  • Jones115
    Jones115 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Slim Fast does not stop hunger! It just gives you the nutrition of the food you would be eating if not for the slimfast, but very hard to stick to on the long term. If you follow the program on here you will definately see the results. You don't need slimfast and you could eat good food! lol. we all love good food. MFP teaches you proper nutrition and portion size. Don't cut yourself short of that education!
  • PokenStick
    Options
    I did Slim Fast for about two weeks before I couldn't take it anymore. The first couple of days I was hungry but my body got used to it. The major problem for me was the taste. By the end I had to force myself to finish it all.
  • jennylynn84
    Options
    Ya... I really like food too lol That's my problem and I am a binge eater so just Slim Fast will be a challenge.

Hmmmm.... I worry that with binge eating problems if you cut out a lot of food and put in shakes its gonna make it worse. Because you're gonna WANT food and refusing to have any isn't gonna help - especially if it leave you hungry on top of everything else.

Not trying to rain on an idea or anything, it just seems like hungry, wanting solid food and a history of binge eating is a recipe for disaster. What you really want is protein. Good solid protein so you're full and you get to chew something. That's just my opinion though.
  • cassandra77
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the info... maybe I will just drink what I have (two packs) to hopefully lose a few pounds and then get on a healthy diet. It's just so hard with the baby because I don't have alot of time to prep meals etc and I am not a fan of frozen meals. Ughhhh... such a lifestyle change lol but I am up for the challenge and super excited to see all the support here!
  • Nikiki
    Nikiki Posts: 993
    Options
    I've been using it in between meals as a snack 1/2 a scoop with 12 oz unsweetened almond milk=115 calories. That plus a clementine at 1pm will keep me satisfied till dinner, I'm on the road a lot in the afternoons for my job and have a bad habit of swinging through a Wendy's at 2-3, eating a jr bacon cheeseburger, fries & a coke, and then eating dinner at like 7 or 8 because I wasnt hungry at the actual dinner time.

the actual meal program works out to be about 1200-1300 calories a day which is not quite enough for most people who are working out frequently, and personally I prefer real food (their bars are pretty gross and give me a stomach ache), but as a snack short term its (for me) a good way to get back on track.
  • Nikiki
    Nikiki Posts: 993
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the info... maybe I will just drink what I have (two packs) to hopefully lose a few pounds and then get on a healthy diet. It's just so hard with the baby because I don't have alot of time to prep meals etc and I am not a fan of frozen meals. Ughhhh... such a lifestyle change lol but I am up for the challenge and super excited to see all the support here!

I work 2 jobs and have a husband and 2 dogs (one of which is handicapped and requires a LOT of extra care) so I can completely understand being busy!! this is what I do:
    Breakast: twice a week i make a big pot of oatmeal, play with the flavours to find something you like, I always add egg whites & walnuts for extra protein, chia seeds (which are similar to flax seeds, high in omegas and protein, and yes its the chia seeds they use in chia pets!) and cinnamon (which is supposed to regulate insuline levels). I divide it into 1 serving containers and pull one out of the fridge each morning.
    Snacks: when I'm putting in the effort I will take an extra 20 minutes after grocery shopping to divide up fresh veggies like carrots & celery into snack size baggies along with rice cakes or pretzles or whatever (I really like the Apple Straws by sensible portions) into 75-150 calorie portions, I put all the baggies (veggies and carbs) into a grocery bag and in the fridge and grab one of each when I want a snack so I dont mindlessly eat a huge thing of crackers or something.
    lunch: most days I eat a can of soup, campbells select harvest lights are between 160-210 calories for the whole can and are surprisingly good.
    dinner is the only meal that I really cook most days (not all, I'll be honest lol) and a lot of the time I get it ready the night before, I'm a big fan of crock pots because you can make decently low calorie meals that are very filling. A favorite of my husbands is bbq pulled pork, I put a lean pork roast in the crock pot on low all day with just salt, pepper and a little water. About an hour before its time to eat I pull it out, trim off any fat and shred it, top with bbq sauce (you can easily measure it prior to, and a little goes a long way) and let it simmer for another hour. Serve over mashed potatos & cauleflaur (use equal parts, cuts down on calories & carbs without losing out on the flavour of the potatos!) or on buns. You can do this with chicken easily too :)

pre-planning is your friend, when your baby is taking a nap, sit down and list out what you want to eat for the next week and when you'll have time to make those things. if you know in advance its going to be a lot less stressful and you'll be less likely to grab something easier (aka high calorie!!)
  • tam8374
    tam8374 Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    When I did Slim Fast, I too was worried about being hungry. I did the shakes and the bars and alone they are not very filling. If I recall correctly I think you were supposed to have a fruit or veggies too. For Ex. a shake for breakfast and then an orange or tangerine with it or for a snack later. Then with the shake at lunch you can do a salad or something. I liked it, but did get very sick of them very fast. I would not do them alone. To be effective with weight loss it says you need to eat small meals/healthy snacks every 3 hours.
  • sallyLunn
    sallyLunn Posts: 381
    Options
    I really liked Nikki's advice.

I tried Slim fast back in the day and it gets OLD. Beware, if you drink that stuff and then sneak off and eat, you will gain.

It's better just to plan and track, really it is.
  • wiggleroom
    wiggleroom Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    I think Slim Fast perpetuates the notion that you have to suffer in order to lose weight! I have used the shakes & bars and lost weight, but after a week or two, I always go nuts and chow down.

If you'll look for low calorie foods that fill you up and eat those, you'll quickly learn that losing weight does not have to be torture. And you'll be learning how to eat for life so the weight loss -- though possibly slower -- is more likely to be permanent.

My favorite filling/low cal foods:
    apples
    oranges
    baby carrots
    oatmeal
    La Tortilla Factory high fiber wraps & tortillas
    egg whites/egg beaters
    Grilled or roasted vegetables (you can add them to rice, wraps, pasta, omelets ... practically anything ... for lots of color, flavor, fiber, and satisfaction)
    Boca & morningstar products (NOT the Morningstar chik'n strips! They are gag worthy and I'm not kidding.)
  • cassandra77
    Options
    Ya... I already failed. A shake isn't enough for me. Maybe for breakfast but that's it. This is what I ended up eating so far.

Breakfast
    Generic - Empire Apple, 1 whole apple 150g
    Mcdonalds's - Large Coffee (2 Creamers, 2 Sugars), 16 oz

Lunch
    Slim Fast - Slim Fast Creamy Milk Chocolate, 11 fl. oz.
    Thin N Trim - Santa Fe Turkey Breast, 1/8 pound sliced
    Hannaford - Wheat Sandwich Sliced Bread, 1 Slices (45g)
    Generic - Baby Carrots Raw, 1 cup 25
    Market Basket - Light Ranch Dressing, 2 tbsp

Not too bad... I guess.
    Add Food Quick Tools
  • marlamcg
    marlamcg Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Too much sugar in them for me. It seemed to make me more hungry. But, I always do better with more protein. Good Luck!