Losing weight after Merina removal

Hi there,

I'm a mommy of 3 girls and I just joined this morning. I'm looking for a few new friends that might be trying to lose weight after having their Merina IUD removed. I gained 20 lbs from the Merina :( along with several other health problems and bad side effects from having it. Any support and help will be greatly appreciate !

Replies

• wrkowt70
    wrkowt70 Posts: 24 Member
    I can't relate to any of that but I am fairly good at supporting.
  • Linseymout
    Linseymout Posts: 159 Member
    I just had mine removed yesterday. Also made me gain crazy weight along with other side effects! Hoping to see some difference in weight loss too....
  • fobs13
    fobs13 Posts: 1,080 Member
    I love my mirena. At the end of my second one and any weight gain I have had cannot be attibuted to the mirena!
    However both sisters swear their weight gain was due to the mirena so can relate to you
  • Mischievous_Rascal
    Mischievous_Rascal Posts: 1,791 Member
    That thing is NASTY! I had mine in for about three months before I had it yanked, so i didn't gain any weight in that short amount of time, but it was a struggle not to. Give this a read, it's awesome!

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants
  • leggup
    leggup Posts: 2,942 Member
    Hormonal IUDs have not been proven to cause weight gain, and they have been studied extensively. Just because you gained 20 lbs while you had an IUD does not mean that the IUD had anything to do with the weight gain. It's dangerous misinformation because it is one of the best forms of birth control and I feel like fewer women will consider it if they think they will gain weight.

Just getting the merina out will have no impact on your weight loss (except maybe a small placebo one). Good luck in your weight loss endeavors! I highly recommend checking out the stickies on the General Diet and Weight Loss Help forum. There's a lot of great information.
  • ew_david
    ew_david Posts: 3,473 Member
    I was fat with Mirena and without. I didn't lose any weight until I made an effort to do so.
  • I have had the Mirena for 5 years and its about time for removal. I haven't had any problems with it, but am nervous about having it out!! Would love to follow to see if you do lose weight with it being out.
  • AngeliqueAcee
    AngeliqueAcee Posts: 59 Member
    I had the same thing. I gained 20kgs!! Lots of that was an over-eating of crisps, but I had done the same before having it in and I had stayed the same weight for 8 years..

I have just this week gotten back to by pre-Merina weight. I found the first 10 or so kgs came off really easily. But the rest was a bit of a struggle.

It's really just like any other weightloss process, log log and log. And obv weigh everything on a scale or in ml/gallons or whichever you fancy.

Good luck!
  • Tiernan1212
    Tiernan1212 Posts: 797 Member
    Hormonal IUDs have not been proven to cause weight gain, and they have been studied extensively. Just because you gained 20 lbs while you had an IUD does not mean that the IUD had anything to do with the weight gain. It's dangerous misinformation because it is one of the best forms of birth control and I feel like fewer women will consider it if they think they will gain weight.

Just getting the merina out will have no impact on your weight loss (except maybe a small placebo one). Good luck in your weight loss endeavors! I highly recommend checking out the stickies on the General Diet and Weight Loss Help forum. There's a lot of great information.

Thank you :flowerforyou:

I've had mine for almost 2 years, and have lost weight just fine. Actually, most of my loss is from after I had it put in. Hormonal IUD's can cause hunger fluctuations, but how you react is up to you.
  • BlueBombers
    BlueBombers Posts: 4,064 Member
    Reason I got my tubes tied instead, have heard nothing good about it.

Good luck to you!
  • nilbogger
    nilbogger Posts: 870 Member
    I gained weight after having Mirena put in... but that's because I was stuffing my face and sitting on my butt all day. In fact I was already gaining weight before I had it inserted.
  • MyTurn2BHappy
    MyTurn2BHappy Posts: 475 Member
    Feel free to add me! I'm here for support and chatting, if you would like :)
  • cmpilgrim
    cmpilgrim Posts: 44 Member
    I can sort of relate! I was on the pill for about 7 years and never found one that I liked, I would have some kind of negative side effects from each one. Some made me lose weight, some I got really bad headaches but only right before my period, etc. I started getting migraines really bad in August of last year and even went to see a neurologist who didn't really address the sources of my migraines just wanted to put me on medication, which I didn't like. He did say that bc pills can contribute sometimes, so when I finally got medical insurance I decided to switch from the pill to a copper IUD. I got it in January and I love it. Within a month my headaches had disappeared (not to say I don't still get the occasional migraine, but they aren't anywhere near as bad as before, I literally had a headache 6 days out of the week and some were the can't get out of bed, sick to your stomach kind) and I lost 10 lbs without even trying. I feel so much better now, I've continued to lose weight because I actually feel like going to work out now and I also started really watching what I eat. I've now lost a total of 20 lbs and am back in my healthy weight range, but I would still like to lose about 10-15 more :)
  • jmnicholas
    jmnicholas Posts: 58 Member
    I had the Mirena coil for 5 years and struggled to lose any weight at all, even with ridiculous deficits on calorie counts and mad exercising (I lost 1lb total, despite being on a very restrictive diet for about 3 months). However, during that time, I moved to a more moderate view of food, and although I did not start losing weight until I had it taken out, I had already begun moving to a more moderate view of eating and exercise, and that the changes had to be permanent, not temporary!
  • 37lbs_to_go
    37lbs_to_go Posts: 61 Member
    I'm going to copy and paste my reply to a similar thread from June 2014. My current weight is 151. That's after 2 months of summer slacking and not watching what I ate. I din't gain/lose and weight but my level of fitness plummeted. I'm just now getting back into MFP and ready for another "cut".

"I've had Mirena put in after both my kids. I had side effects both times including pain with intercourse, rubbing nerves and difficulty losing weight. There was an ultrasound after it was put in to make sure it was properly placed. Getting my Mirena out was definitely what got to ball rolling on my journey to a better me.

The end of last year I weighed 178 lbs and started working with a personal trainer 2x-3X a week. After 6 weeks I weighed and measured the exact same. My endurance was way up and didn't really change my diet. Still not one pound budged off :( I then went through some very expensive thyroid testing thinking that might be it. I truly felt there was something medical causing the inability to lose weight. All thyroid tests came back normal. My doctor's advice was: eat less, work out more, get more sleep. I took this to heart and made massive efforts in all 3 areas. One month later and still no weight loss so I called my OB and got the Mirena out. With in one month I lost almost 10 lbs. This was making the same efforts I had been doing. Once I hit 167lbs I joined MFP and have had no trouble keeping the weight loss going.

I loved the Mirenas at first but for me the side effects started snowballing. I won't get another one."
  • girlwithcurls2
    girlwithcurls2 Posts: 2,281 Member
    I was fat with Mirena and without. I didn't lose any weight until I made an effort to do so.

:laugh: Me too. LOVE my Mirena(s) (on the 3rd one!)
  • galooshka28
    galooshka28 Posts: 31 Member
    After I taken the Mirena out I had not lost any weight still had lactating breasts and mood swings for about a year.Finally I had enough and went to my GP with the complaint of side effects. The doctor decided to do an ultrasound scan and it revealed a 4 cm cyst on my left ovary. Now I have to go for another scan in 6 weeks time. :(
  • annemarie9221
    annemarie9221 Posts: 3 Member
    I have had 3 consecutive Mirenas, about 12 years straight. I had absolutely no issues I identified with having it until this last couple of years. I have definitely put on weight in that time and I don't know if it's connected or not. The first 2 I had I remained very skinny and fit. This last one has coincided with back pain, joint pain, unprecedented weight gain, very sore and swollen breasts (when I was younger I would have paid good money for the swollen part), and significant abdominal cramping (identified in hospital as kidney stones except there were no stones). I cannot unequivocally say it's because of the IUD but I have just had it removed so we'll see if anything changes. I wonder if my body reacts different because I am older (46 years old), or I have used it for so long, or maybe my issues are related to something else entirely. I have had full bloods and I according to those results I am super healthy. I will post again with anything new to report.