Days where you can't lift as much as you should

Is it normal to occasionally have days where you simply can't pick something up, even though it's only a small weight increase from last time? I'm finding it really discouraging. It's specifically happening with my deadlifts (currently at 42kg). I do them three times a week, with an attempt at a 2kg increase each time (I think. That might be wrong. My husband organises this stuff for us - he really enjoys it, it's not that I'm too lazy to :p), and it seems like every other week, one time I'll go to pick up the weight and might lift it once or twice, but after that I just physically can't do it. Even if we take weight off the bar.

I feel pathetic :( My husband is telling me it's fine, it happens, and it's probably because I do squats beforehand, but I'm not sure that's true - he never has any problems.

If it's relevant, I've been doing this for around two months.

Replies

• Chief_Rocka
    Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member
    I do them three times a week, with an attempt at a 2kg increase each time

That's your problem.

It happens, but it shouldn't be happening nearly as often as it happens to you.
  • gypsy_spirit
    gypsy_spirit Posts: 2,107 Member
    Are you following a specific program? When you do (something like Stronglifts, Starting Strength, etc) it helps you work though your increases. Only me, but I would never be able to increase on lifts 3x per week at 2kg per session. Ever. That's like adding 6kg a week per lift, if I read that correctly.
  • lucygoesrawr
    lucygoesrawr Posts: 184 Member
    Are you following a specific program? When you do (something like Stronglifts, Starting Strength, etc) it helps you work though your increases. Only me, but I would never be able to increase on lifts 3x per week at 2kg per session. Ever. That's like adding 6kg a week per lift, if I read that correctly.
    Yeah, I think we're doing the starting strength one. I should probably mention I've been having whole weeks off at a time for various reasons (ankle injury, illness, and one time we put too much weight on for squats, didn't realise until I got stuck and couldn't get up again, then I was too fatigued to continue or do other lifts that week) - so technically we're still in the 'first few weeks' even though it might have been two months. I'm told you're supposed to increase by this sort of amount at first.
  • QueenBishOTUniverse
    QueenBishOTUniverse Posts: 14,121 Member
    Yeah, I think we're doing the starting strength one. I should probably mention I've been having whole weeks off at a time for various reasons (ankle injury, illness, and one time we put too much weight on for squats, didn't realise until I got stuck and couldn't get up again, then I was too fatigued to continue or do other lifts that week) - so technically we're still in the 'first few weeks' even though it might have been two months. I'm told you're supposed to increase by this sort of amount at first.

With DL's especially I would say a form check might be in order. I was several months in, but as I started approaching body weight I started failing left right and center and weights that I could pick up two weeks before were suddenly becoming impossible. I switched to 5/3/1 so that I wasn't doing squats and DL's on the same day, and dropped my weight down on both lifts to really nail down my form, and that plus accessory work to build my glute strength seems to have done the trick. But I would say first step is a form check. This early on, you shouldn't really be hitting weights heavy enough to cause this much struggle....
  • gypsy_spirit
    gypsy_spirit Posts: 2,107 Member

With DL's especially I would say a form check might be in order. I was several months in, but as I started approaching body weight I started failing left right and center and weights that I could pick up two weeks before were suddenly becoming impossible. I switched to 5/3/1 so that I wasn't doing squats and DL's on the same day, and dropped my weight down on both lifts to really nail down my form, and that plus accessory work to build my glute strength seems to have done the trick. But I would say first step is a form check. This early on, you shouldn't really be hitting weights heavy enough to cause this much struggle....

This is really good advice. I can not stress enough the importance of having the very best form possible for every lift - every time. It makes a world of difference and may help you with the injuries you mentioned. I have been lifting for about 2 years and I STILL deload and work on form when a lift is not feeling strong and "right". Increasing weight is fun - but if you go to hot and heavy here at first - you will burn out fast and you will probably have some injuries.

As Queen said, this early - you should not be having this much struggle. It should be about slow increases and mastering form for each lift.
  • QueenBishOTUniverse
    QueenBishOTUniverse Posts: 14,121 Member
    Other things to keep in mind that can affect your performance; hydration, protein intake, general calorie intake (I'm finding I'm lifting MUCH better now that I've switched to Fri-Mon and am rested and well fed over the weekend), did you get a good nights sleep, basically any number of things can throw your lifting off for a day, but if it's a consistent problem then you'll need to isolate the cause.
  • TiberiusClaudis
    TiberiusClaudis Posts: 423 Member
    Agree with this ^^^

So many variables. I wouldn't sweat it...important thing is keep doing it.
  • thesupremeforce
    thesupremeforce Posts: 1,206 Member
    So, you're deadlifting three times per week? That seems excessive. I'm not sure how many people could deadlift three times per week and somehow increase their lifts each time.
  • trojan_bb
    trojan_bb Posts: 699 Member
    Aside from the programming issues (your weight increases and frequency), it happens less and less as you gain experience. It takes years to fully realize potential during a workout. Intensity, contraction, etc will never be close to mastered during the first year. Don't sweat it. If it's an ESPECIALLY bad workout: go home, rest, try it again later.

Your programming and rest/training schedule are off though. Fix that first. If you're following a periodized routine where strength increases and deload periods are programmed down to the workout and week....and then you are taking weeks off, you will have problems.
  • loulamb7
    loulamb7 Posts: 801 Member
    I started weight training in June so I'm pretty much a newbie also. I'm using the All Pro Routine. I preferred this routine because it was a full body routine and it keeps you at the same max weights for 5 weeks. Regardless of the program, as others have said focus first on form. I started with just dumbbell handles and planks to strengthen my core for the first month. I hit my first failures this week on a couple of lifts. Probably due to several factors, nutrition, didn't feel well... Next week I'll start a new cycle at the same max weights on the failed lifts and move up on the others. Also starting and stopping will also cause you to regress. No biggie just step back the weights and you'll be back up in no time.