What to do????

Options
So, about four weeks ago I went out for my daily walk. As I stepped onto the driveway from the stairs I turned my ankle on a rock, of all things! I fell and landed on gravel. My knee on the other leg looked like I lost a fight with the cheese grater and I had gravel in the wound. I could not get up! My ankle now looked like it was half way done growing a softball on my ankle. With no one around I was forced to belly crawl up the stairs and pull to a standing position in order to call someone for help.

After cleaning and icing the wounds I called my doctor and was seen. I tore ligaments! I was put in this monstrous black immobilizing boot for 3 weeks. I could still walk so that was not too bad. Now, however, I have a stirrup cast to support the ankle for three more weeks. The issue is, since I switched casts my ankle hurts more. I don't feel like I have the range or motion I should. I have not been walking because I am afraid to make it hurt worse.

Does anyone have an idea on how I can ease back into what was once a daily routine but now seems like too much to bother?

Replies

• maoribadger
    maoribadger Posts: 1,837 Member
    Options
    Physio. Immobilising it for 3 weeks when its not broken seems odd. Here in UK we encourage mobility right from about 48 hours post injury to begin the healing process. By not getting it moving its tightened up. I'd get someone to see it re mobility exercises.
  • NK1112
    NK1112 Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    Something similar happened for me many years ago ... and by the time I was able to use my leg properly again it was half the size of my 'good' leg and the ankle was stiff.

Sad to say ... the ankle is still stiffer that the other leg so that never really improved to "before mishap". However, I did do range of motion type exercises with it ... you know ... flexing toes up and toes down, rotating left, rotating right. And strengtht/balance exercises ... lifting up on the toes, standing one foot, etc. .... just normal stuff that moved my joint. I also did as much walking as I could and eventually the atrophy in the leg improved. That leg, today is just a smidge smaller.

good luck