Heather Vaughn Ive been eating 4000 calories a day!!

Options

Replies

• MrsHVaughn
    Options
    Thank you everyone for the welcome. I have been trying to do a water fast but My food addiction is just too strong so im going to take baby steps. Today I started NO soda and count calories. I can eat what i crave but i need to get it under x calories which will be hard but i believe i can do it.

Baby steps are good - sometimes just knowing you have to log everything you eat is a deterrent from eating certain things.

Reading through your posts I notice two things: one, that you say you eat the same things a lot, and two, that you're worried about not being able to enjoy foods you had prior to joining MFP.

If you prepare the foods you do like/crave yourself you can control what goes in them and therefore how nutritious they are. Pizza is fine - take advantage of using it as a delicious way to get a couple servings of veggies and choose a strongly-flavoured cheese that you'll use less of. Doing it that way can be just as satisfying and significantly lower in calories/fat/etc. Explore different types of food and vary your routine and you'll reap the benefits of it.

Take time to eat - it takes your brain 20 minutes to feel full (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-18779997). Even if you eat the exact same thing you're eating right now, if you just eat it slower and savour the lovely flavours you'll stop eating quicker (and therefore consume less calories) as long as you stop eating once you feel satisfied. Either that or if the food is only mediocre you'll be disappointed you're wasting your daily calories on something that doesn't taste great and it gives you a reality check.

Take your baby steps. The best one that worked for me is that no matter what you eat, log all of it, and log it accurately. That in itself is a deterrent. :)

Best of luck!

you HIT the nail on the head with me thank you for that :) Slowing down is something I have to work on
  • girlwithcurls2
    girlwithcurls2 Posts: 2,264 Member
    Options
    Well, be sure to eat a good dinner that is more than 200 calories... Just think, even if you cut it down to 3000 per day for a while and get used to that, then down to 2000, you'll be doing yourself a huge favor. You're smart to think in terms of baby steps. Just deal with today. Tomorrow will be here soon enough.
  • kaatiee92
    Options
    I was in shock at how much i was eating too! :( Its so hard though im starvinggggg all the time it sucks!
  • MrsHVaughn
    Options
    I did good last night. Had a salad :D wohhooo
  • MA_B
    MA_B Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    It's so easy to underestimate what you are eating, especially when you 'forget' to weigh it. It's better to log everything honestly, including the water that you drink, and learn what works for you and what racks the calories up. I lost the plot and have had to start again! I'm talking to myself! All the best on this journey - every journey starts with the first step and you've done that. This is a great site. Enjoy your new lifestyle and make the most of the friends you find here.
  • Squatch3099
    Squatch3099 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Shoving down 4,000 calories a day is so darned easy to do too!!!! I've done much more than that I believe. No more!!:love:
  • chelseafxx
    chelseafxx Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    Today's food is just horrible, it's almost some kind of conspiracy to fatten up the population.

Almost?? Or IT IS. Wake up people! Realize what your own country is doing to you. Ever wonder how they control our massive population? They've got to kill some people off and they don't care how.
  • sloth3toes
    sloth3toes Posts: 2,212 Member
    Options
    Today's food is just horrible, it's almost some kind of conspiracy to fatten up the population.

Almost?? Or IT IS. Wake up people! Realize what your own country is doing to you. Ever wonder how they control our massive population? They've got to kill some people off and they don't care how.

1401934273993.gif
  • PBWaffleCakes
    PBWaffleCakes Posts: 900 Member
    Options
    Its always a shock! But now its motivation! Wish you success on your journey!
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options

"Please sir, I want some more ..... soylent green"
  • Louloulou246
    Options
    Hi Heather,
    Congratulations on your decision to make healthier choices in your life. One of the things that I eat daily is Chia seeds mixed with almond milk, pumpkin seeds, dried coconut and fresh fruit. You can add some honey to it too if you want it a bit sweeter. It is very filling and keeps you full for hours after. Chia is a superfood and it keeps you very regular.
    If you have a juicer or blender why not try to replace some of the soda with green smoothies, they are delicious and full of nutrients.

Good luck and here's to a healthier and fitter you.
    Loulou
  • primekayprime
    primekayprime Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    Don't beat yourself up! It's all about baby steps, like you said. You only had 2 slices of pizza instead of the 4 you used to eat. And only 2 sodas instead of 3! I'm sure that took conscious thought and self-control. Be sure to give yourself credit for the things you do right and continue to be mindful of the things you want to change. It's a journey so pace yourself! It's not an all-or-nothing endeavor. Good luck!
  • WingManGT
    Options
    4000 calories a day? HOW? This is my second time cutting and I'm at around 1500-1700 calories a day and feel stuffed at the end of the. However I drink only water and coffee .

p.s. I bet most of that is coming from soft drinks though.
  • sloth3toes
    sloth3toes Posts: 2,212 Member
    Options
    4000 calories a day? HOW? This is my second time cutting and I'm at around 1500-1700 calories a day and feel stuffed at the end of the. However I drink only water and coffee .

How nice for you.
  • WingManGT
    Options
    I'm sorry if that sounded rude, mean or sth it wasn't intended. I wish you best of luck in achieving your goals. It took me quite a while before even getting off my *kitten* to start working on my body in the first place and being on a diet can be quite awful at times, but if you are consistent and exercise regularly you could slip some tasty treats here and there in the meal plan and still keep on track.
  • Phrick
    Phrick Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options

How nice for you.

This! It's really very easy to eat 4000 calories a day if you're eating calorie dense foods like pizza and soda. Heck some of us are losing on more than you are eating (like me). It's not all about switching to salad and veggies all the time! It's about LEARNING MODERATION with the food you do love. I see your second post that you didn't mean to sound rude but think before you type, because intended or not it WAS pretty rude.
  • C5North
    C5North Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    It is soooo easy to load up. I was eating 4-5,000 calories just at lunch every day. Then I'd go home and have a huge dinner. I'll bet another 2-3,000 calories every night. Luckily, I guess, I was skipping breakfast almost everyday. The days I did have breakfast it was a trip to McDonald's for 2-3 sausage McMuffins or a breakfast pizza from the gas station. UGH!

So glad those days are OVER. BTW, I had carrots for breakfast this morning. They were awesome.
  • brianmeadors
    brianmeadors Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I just ate lunch.. 2 pizza slices a small bag of chips and a diet soda and now I only have 200 calories left for the whole day! WOW .

So what happened to "today is a new day"?

That post is uncalled for. It's snarky and mean.
    HVaughn said earlier that she was starting in baby steps by logging calories and cutting out soda. And she's done exactly that with her lunch of two slices and a diet drink. It's unrealistic to expect a person to make a step-change in behavior; further, study after study shows that losing weight on crash diets is easier than keeping the weight off after the diet. HVaughn's baby-step plan is sound, it works, and it's borne out by studies.
    HVaughn, ignore the mean-spirited post above. You keep up the good work!
  • LeslieTSUK
    LeslieTSUK Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    ya - thats why even when you go over track it! . i always over eat i swear my stomach can hold more than most people. but the good thing is that it shrinks so fast so just hang in there! pretty soon it wont take 4 slices to fill you up!

Just 1 little thing i'd like to add to that, from personal experience and something I still battle daily with is, over time you become used to having a certain amount on ya plate, and when cooking or buying out we tend to look at something and think hardly anything there.

So even though our inner tummy shrinks we force it to take the usual load.

I not long had lunch, and looked at the grill and for a moment got a few extra things out of freezer to fill it up, then thought no, put them back.

And fast food is lethal, if it wasn't for sheer will power i'd easily be 50 stone.

So now I use nice small plates, to help make the small amounts look bigger.

Really do wish you the best of luck, coming off junk food is almost as hard as going sugar free.
    Only ever a message away if you need any support.
  • devil_in_a_blue_dress
    Options
    I just ate lunch.. 2 pizza slices a small bag of chips and a diet soda and now I only have 200 calories left for the whole day! WOW .

So what happened to "today is a new day"?

One of the most uncalled for comments I have ever seen.