20s - 30s Career People?

Options
Looking for MFP friends :)

I've been using myfitnesspal off and on for a long time and I'm really want to dedicate myself to using it, eating right and exercising on a regular basis. I think the longest I've actually kept it up has been a couple of months.

I'd love to add some friends with similar lifestyles because I know how much it helps motivate you and keep you accountable.

Just a little info about me...

I'm 26 and while my weight isn't a major issue I've been gaining over several years as I find it hard to get a balance between work life, social life, and healthy living. I have awful habits with my coworkers of taking the easy way out and getting fast food. Someone is always running out to Burger King or Starbucks. I don't even like Burger King but I never think far enough ahead to bring a healthy lunch. I want to tackle my health before it gets out of hand.

Work can be very stressful and tiring so I let that be an excuse to just go home and eat awful food instead of cooking something healthy. Being a subpar cook doesn't exactly help lol.

I also live in Texas, which means I have way too much opportunity to eat delicious Mexican food.

If anyone is at a similar point at life in this age range and working, I'd love to be friends and see what you're typical days eating/exercising are like. Or even if your lifestyle is a bit different, I'd just be happy to have more friends for support.

Replies

• ABabilonia
    ABabilonia Posts: 622 Member
    Options
    I had the same issue with coworkers, and that was not only unhealthy, but more expensive as well. I decided to cut that and start preparing my own meals. The time I'm saving by not going to eat junk outside, I'm walking around my workplace. After job I'm also starting to hit the gym more often. I know that this will be a long journey, but in the end everything will be worth it. Good luck...
  • WestLA35
    WestLA35 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I bring in my own food. My coworkers thought my food looked so good that started bringing in their own food from home. You can start a trend!
  • terar21
    terar21 Posts: 523 Member
    Options
    I had the same issue with coworkers, and that was not only unhealthy, but more expensive as well. I decided to cut that and start preparing my own meals. The time I'm saving by not going to eat junk outside, I'm walking around my workplace. After job I'm also starting to hit the gym more often. I know that this will be a long journey, but in the end everything will be worth it. Good luck...

Thanks! It is so unnecessarily expensive. And awful when you think about the money you're spending on food that, most of the time, doesn't even taste that good. We also have free snacks (chips, cookies, sodas) there and at least I've managed to get myself off snacking on those during the day. Definitely going to work more at actually using that gym membership.
  • terar21
    Options
    I bring in my own food. My coworkers thought my food looked so good that started bringing in their own food from home. You can start a trend!

Hopefully I can start a trend too. Already talked about it with a few of my coworkers. Maybe it'll catch on. What types of food do you bring for lunch?
  • btc1987
    btc1987 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Hey - I am in the same boat as you.

I think it helps to approach it from the budget standpoint. You really do save a ton of money preparing your own meals. You can still hang out with the people eating the Burger King stuff. :)

Something that saves me time and money is to buy a bunch of chicken breasts. I trim them up, pound them lightly and then stick them in a plastic bag with marinade (I make my own with different herbs and spices and ~ 1/2 tablespoon of olive oil per breast).

When I get home after a long day of work, I can pull one out of the bag and cook it on the stove top in a pan. 6 1/2 minutes on each side and it'll be tender and juicy (pound them out to about 1/2 or 3/4" thickness).

Frozen vegetables are also a lifesaver. I can usually fix this awesome, healthy meal in about 20 mins.

Hope this helps!
  • PBWaffleCakes
    PBWaffleCakes Posts: 900 Member
    Options
    Hello = ]

I'm 22 going on 23 and I'm a teacher. Luckily we aren't allowed to leave so if I don't bring a lunch, I have to eat elementary school lunch (it's healthy but dull). I buy some cheap healthy grab lunches or I try to make food on a single day and divided it up for the week. That way it is a grab lunch too. I have student loans so I am trying to nab another job or two. Work keeps me busy but when I am at the store I just look for healthy easy things. I try to keep my meals under 350 calories.
  • alligatorrawr
    alligatorrawr Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    Just keep a lunchbox of healthy snacks. applesauce, nuts, oatmeal, bars, whatever. you can keep it at the office and once it's empty bring it home and restock!! I used to do this because in school I would eat a sub, energy drink and maybe a cookie everyday. it helped me save money and a lot of calories!
  • DWhy5
    DWhy5 Posts: 541 Member
    Options
    I'm 26 and this is my first year as a full time teacher! Give me an add!
  • alligatorrawr
    Options

Dillon is the MFP hooker. "for a good time add me! "

:)
  • starmickey03
    starmickey03 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    So, Im 26 and Im an RN. I had no issues eating healthy when I worked in the hospital, but last month I made a switch to being a visiting nurse for the "business hours". Since I basically drive for the majority of my work day now I cant seem to get healthy meals in so I find myself stopping at gas stations buying chips and sodas. I'd like to bring sandwiches and salads with me but I live in the freaking desert and the heat would most likely spoil my food before I got a chance to eat it. I dont know what to do.
  • terar21
    Options
    Hey - I am in the same boat as you.

I think it helps to approach it from the budget standpoint. You really do save a ton of money preparing your own meals. You can still hang out with the people eating the Burger King stuff. :)

Something that saves me time and money is to buy a bunch of chicken breasts. I trim them up, pound them lightly and then stick them in a plastic bag with marinade (I make my own with different herbs and spices and ~ 1/2 tablespoon of olive oil per breast).

When I get home after a long day of work, I can pull one out of the bag and cook it on the stove top in a pan. 6 1/2 minutes on each side and it'll be tender and juicy (pound them out to about 1/2 or 3/4" thickness).

Frozen vegetables are also a lifesaver. I can usually fix this awesome, healthy meal in about 20 mins.

Hope this helps!

Great advice! How long do the chicken breasts last? Or do you freeze?
  • terar21
    Options
    Hello = ]

I'm 22 going on 23 and I'm a teacher. Luckily we aren't allowed to leave so if I don't bring a lunch, I have to eat elementary school lunch (it's healthy but dull). I buy some cheap healthy grab lunches or I try to make food on a single day and divided it up for the week. That way it is a grab lunch too. I have student loans so I am trying to nab another job or two. Work keeps me busy but when I am at the store I just look for healthy easy things. I try to keep my meals under 350 calories.

Hi! Thanks for the advice :)
  • terar21
    Options
    Just keep a lunchbox of healthy snacks. applesauce, nuts, oatmeal, bars, whatever. you can keep it at the office and once it's empty bring it home and restock!! I used to do this because in school I would eat a sub, energy drink and maybe a cookie everyday. it helped me save money and a lot of calories!

Thanks! It really is unreal how much money I waste on gross food lol.
  • terar21
    Options

:)
  • Redness2014
    Options
    Im 24, im English but now living overseas. I had the same issues with co-workers back in England, now I have a different set of challenges as my work change sees me working as a Cook! Meaning Im in a kitchen all day at work but some days have no time for a break, so even if I have taken the time to prepare and take something with me I may not get to eat it! Which ofcourse means by the time Im home I am really hungry so its the urge to reach for the quick to make option, which if theres nothing left thats been pre-prepped its unhealthy.
  • terar21
    Options
    So, Im 26 and Im an RN. I had no issues eating healthy when I worked in the hospital, but last month I made a switch to being a visiting nurse for the "business hours". Since I basically drive for the majority of my work day now I cant seem to get healthy meals in so I find myself stopping at gas stations buying chips and sodas. I'd like to bring sandwiches and salads with me but I live in the freaking desert and the heat would most likely spoil my food before I got a chance to eat it. I dont know what to do.

Oh man that's a tough one. Maybe you could see if a small cooler would work?
  • snbouchard81
    snbouchard81 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    Most of the time I bring leftovers from the dinner the night before. To help me in the morning, I pack most of the lunch the evening before as I put dinner away so in the morning all I need to do is put it into my lunch box.

I try to prep ahead with as much as I can. For instance, when I bought a big container of almonds, I put them into snack bags when I put them in the pantry. Now when I go to pack them for a snack, I already know they are the right portion size and everything.
  • alligatorrawr
    Options

Thanks! It really is unreal how much money I waste on gross food lol.

I know!! I was spending 7 on a huge hunk of white bread and worlds worst excuse of deli meat haha
  • btc1987
    btc1987 Posts: 94 Member
    Options

Great advice! How long do the chicken breasts last? Or do you freeze?

I usually don't keep them for more than a week in the fridge.

They will last at least 6 months in the freezer. Mine don't make it that long though. :D