Alternatives to water?

Options
Hi everybody

I've been drinking purely water for about 3 weeks now, it's been great, but now I'm starting to get a little bored...

I completely cut out coffee when I started my new lifestyle and I'm not missing it too much, so I'm not actually bothered about drinking that.

Does anybody know any alternatives to water? Obviously water is going to be the best thing to drink and also the main, but is there anything that I can have that is equally as good (as a treat, so to speak)?

Thanks in advance!

A

Replies

• heyitsnicolelee
    heyitsnicolelee Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I use flavor enhancers in my water once in awhile. You can find them in the drink mix aisle in the grocery store. Most of them are only 5 calories.
  • jennycina93
    jennycina93 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    This is kind of lame but I do enjoy crystal light. There is actually quite a bit of different flavors. And your still getting that water in which is good.
  • postrockandcats
    postrockandcats Posts: 1,145 Member
    Options
    I still drink coffee and tea, but it's mostly water. I've found that the other stuff makes me thirstier.
  • ALC131
    ALC131 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I use flavor enhancers in my water once in awhile. You can find them in the drink mix aisle in the grocery store. Most of them are only 5 calories.

Thanks! I did look the other day and the only ones I could find seemed to contain an awful lot of sugar for such a little product. I'll have a look in another supermarket and see if I can find any healthier ones! :)
  • LeonCX
    LeonCX Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    On the planet Zimdar they drink ammonia, but here I would recommend:

Ice tea
    Crystal light
    Flavored waters
    Club soda
    1% milk
    Sugar Free Gatorade
  • bridiemac211
    bridiemac211 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Unsweetened ice tea. Almost zero calories, helps with hydration, and will give you a little "lift" in energy.
  • 5blue1
    5blue1 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    coconut water or add fruit to your water
  • heyitsnicolelee
    heyitsnicolelee Posts: 39 Member
    Options

Thanks! I did look the other day and the only ones I could find seemed to contain an awful lot of sugar for such a little product. I'll have a look in another supermarket and see if I can find any healthier ones! :)

Skinny Girl is a good option. I use them a lot (a little pricey but I use them sparingly). Crystal Light is also a good option!
  • weight2go
    weight2go Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    You can find at Walmart. There are alot of choices. I use them all the time. Not a big water drinker, but it beats soda and doesnt have caffeine.
  • disneygirl626
    disneygirl626 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    Try slices of lemon, lime, or orange. Or strawberries, cucumbers, melon.
  • ALC131
    ALC131 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Wow thanks for the replies guys.

I live in the UK so not sure if I can get those here but I'll certainly have a look, if all else fails I suppose I could order them from Amazon or eBay! :-)
  • Dragn77
    Dragn77 Posts: 810 Member
    Options
    I feel you on needing variety. Maybe try infused water... like what they have at spas? :) Some ginger and lemon, or cucumbers, or slices of citrus or strawberries... If you google infused water, there are a lot of great recipes out there. I personally prefer that to adding artificial flavorings, but thats mostly because I dont like the taste of them...even the no sugar ones taste too sweet and not refreshing to me.

Unsweetened tea is a great suggestion too, I like green tea, jasmine tea and mint teas the most. Unfortunately, kiddo loves it so much, she will guzzle a pitcher of that down in a couple hours before Ive had any LoL
  • WombatHat42
    WombatHat42 Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    I hear dihydrogen oxide is a great replacement ;) sorry could resist. I would just add lemon to it. I will occasionally go for a gatorade if I have the calories available.
  • AoifeeSi
    AoifeeSi Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    My mom is diabetic, so we have to be careful about what we buy/consume, and it's just easier (and cheaper) to get the sugar free stuff than have 2 sets of everything in the kitchen. They are more difficult to find, but sugar free versions of flavored drink mixes do exist. The one we get most often is by Wyler's light (5 cal, sugar free), they have almost all the same flavors as Crystal Light (they do have a small sugar free line but it is difficult to find them and not as many choices) and Cool Aid. I think Cool aid also now has a sugar free line, but not sure how it tastes.

I also drink caffeine-free tea (o cal unless you add sweetener). Some brands are more bitter and almost always require sweetener of some sort, while others are fine on their own. When I end up sweetening tea I go with all natural honey (we have a honey farm down the street from us, but there are brands at the market that are all natural) and keep within a single serving or less, but I don't like overly sweet drinks (my mother complains because I water down Crystal Light to cut the sweetness). Keep in mind with tea (and anything caffeinated) that caffeine dehydrates you. For every 1 serving of anything caffeinated you need to drink twice as much water to stay hydrated (so 1 cup of coffee or caffeinated tea = 2 cups of water after to rehidrate your body)

From my favorite tea label (celestial seasons Jammin' Lemon Ginger Herbal Tea)
    All Natural: This product contains all-natural herbs and flavors, and no artificial colors or preservatives.
    Ingredients: Ginger, lemongrass, lemon verbena, natural lemon and ginger flavors with other natural flavors (soy lecithin), rosehips, roasted chicory and citric acid.
    Caffeine Status: Naturally Caffeine Free
    Gluten Status: Gluten Free
    Kosher Certification: Nutrition Facts
    Serving Size: 1 tea bag Makes: 8 fl. oz. Servings Per Container: 20
    Amount Per Serving Calories 0
    Calories from Fat 0
    % Daily Value*
    Total Fat 0g
    Cholesterol 0
    Sodium 0mg
    Total Carb. 0g
    Sugars 0g
    Protein 0g
    * Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.

From the label of Wyler's light
    Nutrition Facts
    INGREDIENTS: Citric acid (provides tartness), maltodextrin (from corn), aspartame* (sweetener), artificial flavor, red 40, contains less than 2% of the following: ascorbic acid (vitamin C), magnesium oxide (prevents caking), acesulfame potassium (sweetener), monocalcium phosphate, blue 1. *Warning to Phenylketonurics: Contains Phenylalanine.
    Caffeine Free.
    Amount Per Serving
    Calories 5 Calories from Fat 0
    Total Fat 0 g
    Saturated Fat — —
    Trans Fat —
    Cholesterol — —
    Sodium 0 mg
    Potassium — —
    Total Carbohydrate 0 g
    Dietary Fiber — —
    Sugars —
    Protein 0 g
    Vitamin A 0%
    Vitamin C 10%
    Calcium 0%
    Iron 0%
    Copper —
    Folic Acid —
    Iodine —
    Magnesium —
    Niacin —
    Phosphorus —
    Riboflavin —
    Thiamin —
    Vitamin B12 —
    Vitamin B6 —
    Vitamin D —
    Vitamin E —
    Zinc —
    * Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.

Hope this helps some. :-)
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    Tea- geen if you believe the slimming / other benefits.

I love redbush tea. Rooibos.

I dont mind diet soda although it seems to be very divisive.

You could also drink cordial/ squash, but watch out for calories.

Just check on calories.

Probably avoid alcohol because it has high calories,although if its in your plan then thats cool.

You do not have to drink 2 ltrs of water, all drinks count, even tea and coffee. You are also expected to get 20% of your liquid from the food you eat. Just find something you like and maybe keep up the variety.

http://www.nhs.uk/news/2011/07July/Pages/eight-glasses-of-water-a-day.aspx

http://www.nhs.uk/Livewell/Goodfood/Pages/water-drinks.aspx
  • PowerfulHunt
    PowerfulHunt Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    Unsweetened tea and Minute Maid Light Lemonade (5 calories per can).
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    I have a SodaStream. Most of the time I fizz the water and add the 0 calorie essences to make it like flavored seltzer. Occasionally I will make a soda with the syrup, usually caffeine free diet cola or diet root beer.
  • northbanu
    northbanu Posts: 366 Member
    Options

There are sugar free options. In the States we have sugar free liquid drops. Convenient to add to bottled water, or to the water with which I fill those emptied bottled water bottles. Mio, Crystal Light, and Kool-Aid are popular brands. Mio has a whole line of energy and sports drink drops.

On amazon: http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=sr_nr_seeall_8?rh=k:mio,i:grocery&keywords=mio&ie=UTF8&qid=1411848380

I'd be surprised if Tesco or Asda didn't have something similar.

I also like club soda, plain or with a slice of lemon or cucumber or two.
  • tziol
    tziol Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    why not to drink clean mineral water plus whatever else you like during the day.......cola zero, tea, coffee....vodka ;-) water is in many food products.....fruits, vegetables.....but remember to avoid sugar....depending on the kind of fruit, it can contain a lot of water but overeating them may not be a good idea if you are on some strict diet as they contain fructose.

why did you stop drinking coffee?
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options

There are sugar free options. In the States we have sugar free liquid drops. Convenient to add to bottled water, or to the water with which I fill those emptied bottled water bottles. Mio, Crystal Light, and Kool-Aid are popular brands. Mio has a whole line of energy and sports drink drops.

On amazon: http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=sr_nr_seeall_8?rh=k:mio,i:grocery&keywords=mio&ie=UTF8&qid=1411848380

I'd be surprised if Tesco or Asda didn't have something similar.

I also like club soda, plain or with a slice of lemon or cucumber or two.

Is Aldi in the UK? They sell their own brand of sugar free flavor drops too.