Runners: Relax to Run Faster

MaryTheIceCube
MaryTheIceCube Posts: 1,099 Member
edited September 22 in Fitness and Exercise
Just wanted to share this great article with some fellow runners:

http://www.active.com/running/Articles/Want_to_run_faster___or_just_better__Learn_to_relax.htm?cmp=17-9597

Also, feel free to join team Motivation (to help fight hunger -- it's FREE!) here: http://www.pfpchallenge.com/Teams/

Thank you and have a GREAT day! :)

Replies

• aallison85
    aallison85 Posts: 97 Member
    Thanks for the article! I am so guilty of having tight arms and shoulders when running. I hate it but it is really a struggle to keep them loose. Thanks!
  • MaryTheIceCube
    Thanks for the article! I am so guilty of having tight arms and shoulders when running. I hate it but it is really a struggle to keep them loose. Thanks!

You're welcome! I find myself clenching my fists too tightly when I'm not relaxed enough and I can definitely tell a difference in my stamina and endurance, depending on how relaxed (or not) I am during each run. This article was a great (and timely!) reminder for me, as I just started a half marathon training program this weekend.
  • Phatpatty
    Phatpatty Posts: 55 Member
    Thanks for sharing... I definitely clench my jaw... after I get home my jaw seems to be sore. I am going to try and focus on not clenching it!
  • MaryTheIceCube
    Thanks for sharing... I definitely clench my jaw... after I get home my jaw seems to be sore. I am going to try and focus on not clenching it!

I loved the article's suggestion of repeating the word 'calm' or 'relax' while running... one of my favorite running mantras, too, is 'breathe'. I think focusing on positive, relaxing thoughts does go a LONG way in improving our running. Best wishes on keeping that jaw relaxed!! :)
  • rachel5576
    rachel5576 Posts: 429 Member
    This repeats what i just read in ChiRunning yesterday, good tip!
  • DJH510
    DJH510 Posts: 114 Member
    As an experienced long distance runner I have to say that article has very little credibility. Relaxing may allow you to enjoy running more, or to stay motivated, but it will NOT make any difference to your outright performance. Only becoming lighter, or increasing V o2 max will make any difference to your speed, and to claim that deliberately relaxing your jaw etc. will make any difference to your running is just wishful thinking. Ignore silly articles like that and focus on proper tried and tested training techniques!
This discussion has been closed.