Leg Press vs Squats?

Options
I have heard squats are among some of the best exercises you can do for weight loss. I never know if I'm doing them right and to be perfectly honest, I feel really stupid when I do try to do them. If I went to the fitness center and got on the leg press and did that, would it be as beneficial as doing squats if I added enough weight to be as close to my body weight as I could?

Replies

• Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,209 Member
    Options
    The leg press isn't as functional, so try to learn proper squat form, either from working with a personal trainer, or watching form vids on Youtube. It helps to video yourself squatting (viewed from the side). You can post the vids here and the trainers will critique you.
  • haildodger
    haildodger Posts: 181 Member
    Options
  • moya_bleh
    moya_bleh Posts: 1,375 Member
    Options
    I do both, but the squat rules all.
  • tlwallis94
    Options
    Squats are better, as they force you to use more muscles than a leg press does. You will work the whole leg and glutes, as well as abdominals, shoulders and back due to the fact that your whole body has to work in order to stabilize the weight.
    Squats all round!
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    Squats are better, and as others mentioned, they work more of your core, but leg press is far better than nothing at all. Make sure you use good form so you don't hurt your knees on that leg press! If doing squats makes you self-conscious, try doing them at home where no one can see you! I don't do squats in public, either. :wink: It's worth doing them, and you'll really feel the difference!
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    While squats are overall better than the leg press, it doesn't mean the leg press is useless. If someone is having trouble working on squat form, what are they supposed to do--not train the legs for 6 months?

By all means, you should be using the leg press at this time to strengthen your legs. At the time time, use the other suggestions (videos, asking a trainer, etc) to continue to work on your squat form with bodyweight and/or goblet squats. You can actually get some decent training results from doing "front" squats with kettlebells in a rack position without ever having to get underneath an Olympic bar.

Learning and improving squat form has benefits beyond just strength training (core, balance, to name two) that you should not give it up completely. However, while you are working on your form, the leg press can be a good substitute.
  • DoingitWell
    DoingitWell Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    I do squats because I can do them anywhere and I travel. I felt awkward at first, but don't start with weight. It's better to start with no weight and proper form than any weight hurt yourself or not be beneficial. :)
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    we have the 'inverted' leg press- which is super old school- legs are STRAIGHT above your head- not that incline nonsense.

It's a great tool for hitting the hammy glute connection.

But the typical level of importance/weightiness would be as follows- from most important to least.
    squats
    inverted leg press
    and standard sled press.

and also- since it seems to have been a bit missed- exercise for your health- diet is for weight loss- and by diet I mean- not GO ON A DIET- but more specifically how much you put in your pie hole. which means- eat less.
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options
    SxprH_zps3e4469a2.gif
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    While squats are overall better than the leg press, it doesn't mean the leg press is useless. If someone is having trouble working on squat form, what are they supposed to do--not train the legs for 6 months?

By all means, you should be using the leg press at this time to strengthen your legs. At the time time, use the other suggestions (videos, asking a trainer, etc) to continue to work on your squat form with bodyweight and/or goblet squats. You can actually get some decent training results from doing "front" squats with kettlebells in a rack position without ever having to get underneath an Olympic bar.

Learning and improving squat form has benefits beyond just strength training (core, balance, to name two) that you should not give it up completely. However, while you are working on your form, the leg press can be a good substitute.

^^ This right here ^^