I am starving

Options
2»

Replies

• Mindful_Trent
    Mindful_Trent Posts: 3,954 Member
    Options
    Maybe I'll just have to exercise daily in order to get my extra 150 or so calories in, but isn't daily cardio bad too???

Everything I've read says that daily cardio is NOT a bad thing. You don't want to run a marathon everyday, but 20-30 min of moderate cardio every day is great for you. Cardio doesn't require the "recovery" period that strength training does - which needs recovery so the muscles can repair themselves.
  • modernfemme
    modernfemme Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    I don't see ANY protein. The spinach soup isn't going to have enough. If you're starving, then eat.

She had some peanut butter. As a vegetarian, i rely on it for a major source of protein. :)

To the person who didn't see greens: She ate spinach soup. I'm not sure if it was canned soup or homemade, but if it was homemade, it could be very high in spinach.

Come on people hahahaha...
  • PixieFen
    PixieFen Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Pinecone, try swapping out some of the higher calorie foods for lower calorie foods. For example, instead of 2 brazil nuts (24 calories), eat 5 carrots (25 calories). Keep swapping out.

I ran into this problem when I first started counting calories - I would find myself eating 1000 calories by lunch (on a 1200 calorie diet)...until I realized that I need to start swapping out foods. It's hard, but you can do it!

Good luck!
  • sfrench1979
    Options
    remember veggies are no calories peppers onions salad make ur self a huge salad. i dont know if ur a veggie person but i would learn to love them. Maybe start lunch with a veggie soup. I also make myself drink a glass of water before each meal that will help. I also chew gum it helps from grabbing food and keeps my mouth happy lol. Good luck.
  • modernfemme
    modernfemme Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    remember veggies are no calories peppers onions salad make ur self a huge salad. i dont know if ur a veggie person but i would learn to love them. Maybe start lunch with a veggie soup. I also make myself drink a glass of water before each meal that will help. I also chew gum it helps from grabbing food and keeps my mouth happy lol. Good luck.

Vegetables DO have calories. Each one is different
  • Jillk1023
    Jillk1023 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    protein lots of protein......
  • seemichellerun
    Options

Vegetables DO have calories. Each one is different

BWAHAHAHA!!!

Seriously... I'm going to eat nothing but salads today! 0 caloric intake, right?
  • tiger87lilly
    tiger87lilly Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    FYI Fats are the most satisfying food group but you need to find healthy fats like nuts or beans. Also on the contrary to what people believe lots of water will not keep you feeling full....it only works for as long as it sits in your stomach. However a trick I learned was making a fresh batch of veggie soup......1 cup of water to 1/2 cup of veggie stock (you could use chicken stock if you like) along with your favorite vegetables and seasoning ( I blend it to make a creamy soup). With this process the absorption rate is slowed and you stay fuller longer than with just water. Now you are adding calories but you are also getting needed vitamins as well.

Hope this helps.
  • anovasjo
    anovasjo Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    I'm very into herbal tea, but it doesn't really help fill me up. Being vegetarian, the only sources of good protein available are fake or eggs. Legumes are awesome too and I do include them in my diet, but they are quite starchy too.

Starchy does not equal bad for you - don't be afraid to eat starchier veggies, as long as you're keeping your overall calories within a good rage. Beans are EXCELLENT for you - lots of fiber and protein - double whammy! Lentils are particularly great for protein!

There are plenty of good vegetarian protein sources - I encourage you to try to increase your protein... you just need to do a little research! Nutritional Yeast is a great vegetarian food that can add protein - it can be added to sauces, sprinkled on popcorn - lots of uses. Also, Seitan is a GREAT protein made from wheat gluten - here's the recipe I use: http://recipes.sparkpeople.com/recipe-detail.asp?recipe=606572

Those are just a couple ideas...
    :drinker: Here here! There are tons of vegetarian sources of protein besides eggs!! My lunch scored a 21 on MFP (what unit of measurement, I don't know) with tofu, rice, tamari and broccoli all scoring high. Yummm.
  • DrumlineGirl
    DrumlineGirl Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    I'm eating healthy stuff and I'm still starving.

Today I've had -

Muesli (35g) with low fat yogurt (95g) and berries.
    2 Brazil nuts
    Spinach soup and mushrooms on wholegrain seeded bread
    Half a slice of peanut butter toast.

I've only got 450 calories left for the day, and I could eat my dinner already..

Any tips??

Thanks x

Some have said you had no protein, but actually, the muesli probably has some, and I know yogurt has a lot. So do nuts and peanut butter, even the wholegrain bread does. So you're probably doing good on that. I'm also vegetarian and I'm allergic to all nuts, lentils and peas, so I know what a struggle it can be. I use the following for protein:

yogurt and other dairy
    eggs
    sunflower seeds (these are high calorie though)
    beans
    And since you may not have allergies like I do, nuts, lentils, and other beans would be great. Even fake meat items. I just heard about sietan, which is a wheat gluten that is very high in protein and easy to prepare. I'm going to be trying that soon. I too am on the 1200 calorie diet and if I don't exercise in the morning to get more calories allowed, I just about starve. It is very hard. Try starting your day with a good workout. To keep full I eat whole grains, dairy, eggs, fruit and veggies.

Also, if you're almost out of calories for the day, just munch on air popped popcorn or rice cakes. It feels satisfied to much but not get a whole lot of calories.
  • harleyquinn1504
    harleyquinn1504 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Can you add a cardio work out into your day? If Ive thought I was going to go over, bc I was hungry earlier than usual, I just throw in another work out to balance my day out, and add more calories to my allotment.
  • imustdecrease
    Options
    This is what works for me. I eat two to three lean/green meals a day and a snack..I am not big on breakfast foods so sometimes I have a salad with chicken. What helps me stay full longer are flax millet crackers I eat. They are very yummy. I get them from samisbakery.com. I like the garlic one the best. They are 66 cals 11carbs and 8grams of fiber.. sometimes I eat two servings if I am extra hungry. My meals easily stay around 300 cals or less and I am satisfied. I am able to have healthy snack without going over my cals. Drink your water also throughout the day. hope this helps.
  • 123brandi
    Options
    Try and add more protein into your diet. And raw veggies when you need a snack. I also try and drink lots of H2O. If I eat a bigger breakfast it has seemed to help me. If I start the day out full I feel better throughout the day and tend not to binge in the afternoon.
  • ictherose
    ictherose Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Try using Metamusil or Fiberful after your meal, with lots of water after. It really does keep you full longer, and the extra benefits it provides is a bonus :smile: . Give it try
  • YeaILift
    YeaILift Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    I don't see ANY protein. The spinach soup isn't going to have enough. If you're starving, then eat.

She had some peanut butter. As a vegetarian, i rely on it for a major source of protein. :)

To the person who didn't see greens: She ate spinach soup. I'm not sure if it was canned soup or homemade, but if it was homemade, it could be very high in spinach.

When I think of peanut butter, I think of it as a fat more so than a protein. It's about 8g of protein for one serving. Also, I'm mean and won't give her the benefit of the doubt that she cooked homemade spinach soup.

So I stand by what I said.
  • bmaynord
    Options
    Try filling up on veggies. They have lots of fiber so they should keep you full and they are low on calories so you will still have plenty left over for dinner
  • NatalieWinning
    NatalieWinning Posts: 999 Member
    Options

When I think of peanut butter, I think of it as a fat more so than a protein. It's about 8g of protein for one serving. Also, I'm mean and won't give her the benefit of the doubt that she cooked homemade spinach soup.

So I stand by what I said.

Nuts and peanutbutter are great for protein and good for you in many ways. But watch out. Because when I eat nuts it's easy to go over for fats and calories quick. So you can't fill up on them. Just add them into things like salads and think of them more of a condiment than a meal entree. A smear of peanut butter, or an 1/8 of a cup. And sunflowers are less than cashews, for example. Pick your nuts! Eat more raw veggies.

Veggies can be starchy, but these are on the whole more complex carbs, which your body loves. Not on the same playing ground as bread or candy carbs....

I use hot herbal tea when I have eaten all my allotment and am trying to stay under without exercising more. 2 cup hot mug of it and I try to let it seem like I'm having a treat. Peach, cranberry, or peppermint tea can smell good and seem like something special. Caffiene can make me hungry, though, so I stick to herbal without.
  • pinecone
    pinecone Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I did cook that soup myself! It's just garlic and an onion cooked with a teaspoon of olive oil, then I added a bowel of frozen spinach and a bowl of fresh with 500mls of stock. I cooked it with the lid on so the frozen spinach would thaw, and then I added a little (200mls) milk for texture and colour. That makes four bowls.

I wasn't saying that there are no sources of vegetarian protein, just that it's limited. I love my pulses, but they are not as rich in protein as a piece of meat. It just means you have to do things differently, thus the nuts. There is tofu and fake meat, but I don't like them, and would prefer to be a bit creative with more natural foods.

When a bit over today in the end - I'll begin my usual daily jog starting tomorrow and hopefully the extra 200 that'll bring will cover me.

Cheers for the advice:) x