Weighing food = eating disorder

Options
2»

Replies

• independant2406
    independant2406 Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    OR you could just say "EFF all ya'll! I know what I'm doing!" and fork-up the next person that tries to take food from you.

^^^ This!
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Just keep doing what you're doing and ignore them.
  • Kontxesi
    Kontxesi Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Woe betide the poor sap who'd ever attempt to remove food from my hands. Everyone who knows me know better than to even suggest it. :explode:

True life. I've had times when people have played "keep away" with a candy bar I'd just purchased or something, and they learned that was a bad idea real quick. You do not mess with my food.

But really, I see a lot of posts like this from people with terrible family members/friends. My family is pretty dysfunctional, but I've never experienced that and it blows my mind. I'd have some pretty choice words for those folks! But being snappy is kind of my bag, so that comes easy to me. I know others have a hard time with it, which I suppose is a good thing sometimes.

The only thing similar I remember: my younger sister was getting herself some ice cream in the middle of the day. My dad walked in and told her to put it back, because "[did she] want to end up like [Kontxesi]?" I was about 15/180lbs/5'7" at the time.

You need to shut that down as it happens. Exactly how you word it depends on your family dynamic, but something along the lines of "it's none of your damn business and the next time you say something about it, you'll be spitting out teeth" should work.
  • wonderfullymadebyhim
    Options
    If your family members are children of certain ages, you might have to explain to them HOW to be encouraging to you. Tell them, if you want mom to be happy and healthy, you'd appreciate their positive support and here is what they can say.

"way to go mom!", "I believe in you", "you are awesome".... and say the same things back to them.

Sometimes people need to be taught the skill of encouragement on a regular basis.
  • Kontxesi
    Options
    If your family members are children of certain ages, you might have to explain to them HOW to be encouraging to you. Tell them, if you want mom to be happy and healthy, you'd appreciate their positive support and here is what they can say.

"way to go mom!", "I believe in you", "you are awesome".... and say the same things back to them.

Sometimes people need to be taught the skill of encouragement on a regular basis.

I assumed that she was talking about adults who should know better, but this is a good point. It's important to teach kids to be empathetic/not *kitten*.
  • leggup
    leggup Posts: 2,942 Member
    Options
    List of Comebacks:
    -I'm sorry; I can't hear you over all of the weight I'm losing.
    -I weigh my food so that I can eat more. If you would like to have a discussion about my eating plan, I'm happy to tell you how I'm losing weight.
    -You are being rude. You are welcome to your opinion; keep it to yourself.
    -If you don't have anything nice to say, go away.
    -Is my food scale hurting you? No? Then stop talking about it.

How old are you? Move out. I would never be able to tolerate that kind of negativity.
  • TheKingsChampion
    Options
    List of Comebacks:
    -I weigh my food so that I can eat more. If you would like to have a discussion about my eating plan, I'm happy to tell you how I'm losing weight.

How old are you? Move out. I would never be able to tolerate that kind of negativity.

:laugh: Those are pretty good! I'm 21, but still live at home as I study from home. My income doesn't bring enough to actually move out as I have to save everything for books, so until I get a full time job I'm either stuck here or on the street. (no my parents aren't paying for my studies)
  • TheKingsChampion
    Options
    I don't really reply to any of it. I just keep my mouth shut and give my siblings the evil eye. My mom I just don't look in the eye right now. I can't say a damned thing until I'm out of here.

My advice to all of you?

Don't ever get adopted by people who only wanted to take you in so that they can look good in public. When in reality they don't give a **** about you.
  • Kontxesi
    Options
    List of Comebacks:

+1 for "I'm sorry, I can't hear you over all of the weight I'm losing." A+, you win.
  • leggup
    leggup Posts: 2,942 Member
    Options
    Those are pretty good! I'm 21, but still live at home as I study from home. My income doesn't bring enough to actually move out as I have to save everything for books, so until I get a full time job I'm either stuck here or on the street. (no my parents aren't paying for my studies)
    21 is tough; old enough to make your own highly informed decisions but young enough to not have full financial independence. I lived at home until just before 22, so I feel for you. Good for you for not rising to their bait. I've thought of another thing you can do. Any time anyone is hassling you for whatever reason, smile at them and give them a genuine compliment.

Parent: You're becoming anorexic, obsessing over that food scale!
    You: *smile* I really like your hair today. It really frames your face.

It's hard for people to be nasty and judgmental when you disarm them with kindness.