Has anyone tried any of the Kinect workout games or the New

Options
I've been thinking about getting a new workout game. I really like my Wii EA active trainer and More Workouts, but I wondered how the new EA Active compared with the new arm and leg bands. I'm hearing it's good because you can use weights, but not great for Kinect and that Your Shape for Kinect is boring and needs a lot more room than the other kinect games. Any input? Do you have a favorite work out game besides these? Thanks!

Replies

• mandijo
    mandijo Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    I LOVE my Kinect. I have the Biggest Loser and Dance Central. I really want the zumba game as I take zumba classes throughout the week and love them. When I want a change, I use the Kinect sports and just play beach volleyball, boxing or track and field with my hubby for an hour. I don't know how many calories it burns for that one, but I will when I get my HRM!
  • PokenStick
    Options
    I have Dance Central which has a workout mode on it. Basically all it does it track your spent calories based on your weight. It's really fun but based on it's calorie counter doesn't burn enough calories for me to consider it a good workout. I'd have to dance non stop for an hour to get the same output as I do from a 20min run.
  • wriglucy
    wriglucy Posts: 1,064 Member
    Options
    I have dance central as well...I didn't know it had a workout mode though! Thanks! I know that just the regular dancing parts is a work out in itself! I read some reviews of the zumba kinect, and none seemed really good. I was going to wait and see if anything else came out. We also got kinect sports something, and the track and field and boxing are both great workouts as well.
  • jflose
    jflose Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Just tried out the Your Shape for the Kinect last night and thought it was a great workout. it even says that you can use weights with the exercises. The dance central game is also fun.
    I like them cause i am not comfortable going to classes, and it lets me workout at home.
  • fatreddhead
    Options
    I use Your Shape and Dance Central. I really enjoy Your Shape especially the fitness classes. I live in a tiny apartment and have enough room to work out. It have gotten bored from it a few times, but I just change to a different class and my motivation pops back up.

Dance Central is fun, although I feel kinda dorky when I play, but its a pretty good workout. I dont use the calorie counter because I dont think it is very accurate.
  • gaila88
    gaila88 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    We just got one at Christmas so still trying things out and won't be able to do the Your Shape one properly until the kids are back at school and I have a bit of time to myself in the morning before work. I do enjoy the sports and Adventures games though as they are fun and you can feel you have done something.
    From the reviews I read, Your Shape and Dance Central seemed to get the best for connectivity and workout value. At £40 a go it might be best to rent them first if you can and try them out. That's what I'm going to do with Zumba and Dance Central.
  • TayJoMama
    TayJoMama Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    Cool, does Kinect have trouble registering exercises on the floor?
  • TayJoMama
    Options
    I LOVE my Kinect. I have the Biggest Loser and Dance Central. I really want the zumba game as I take zumba classes throughout the week and love them. When I want a change, I use the Kinect sports and just play beach volleyball, boxing or track and field with my hubby for an hour. I don't know how many calories it burns for that one, but I will when I get my HRM!
    How do you like the Biggest Loser?
  • I LOVE my Kinect. I have the Biggest Loser and Dance Central. I really want the zumba game as I take zumba classes throughout the week and love them. When I want a change, I use the Kinect sports and just play beach volleyball, boxing or track and field with my hubby for an hour. I don't know how many calories it burns for that one, but I will when I get my HRM!

Agreed! BL for the Kinect is pretty awesome, I also got fighters uncaged the other day and it can be a pretty good workout but the BL game is my fav
  • mandijo
    mandijo Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    It doesn't have trouble registering on my floor. I thought that would be a problem too, but it wasn't. I really like Biggest Loser. It's a different workout then I'm use to, and I need variety. The calorie counters are inaccurate in my opinion, but it doesn't bother me since I'll be getting an HRM soon.
  • TayJoMama
    Options
    Great, you guys have helped me make my decision.I was just looking at EA Active 2 and Your Shape, but thanks to you guys and Amazon reviews, love that, I'm going to get the Biggest Loser today. I've been doing the elliptical and stationary bike since I started MFP in Sept. Now I need to change it up and break through the 170s! Thanks Guys!
  • trixiedixies
    Options
    I have a kinect and I love it. I have researched all the games and don't get any of the ones that aren't made by microsoft. From the reviews and people I know the ones like zumba are terrible. My friend got it the other day and said it is horrible!

The best one for working out is dance central. I have so much fun doing it and it kicks my butt. Plus I am haviing fun dancing so itdoesnt feel like I am working out. Your shape is the best workout video for the kinect. I also have kinect sports which is awesome too. I can play it with my kids so they will let me workout!
  • Candice73
    Candice73 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I LOVE KINECT ZUMBA and wish more people had it so we can do an online class.....I burn loads of calories and alhough you cannot beat the real thing if you are looking for a workout indoors I would recommend if you like Zumba to start with! I prefer it over Dance Cenrtral any day!!
  • katbass
    katbass Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    I am glad to hear your mind is made up to buy Biggest Loser for Kinect! I LOOOVE it! Workout Day 3 is done, and I am already looking forward to tomorrow's workout :)

I wonder if all the Biggest Loser Kinect-ers on MFP could get a game/online connection going somehow...? How do we do that?
  • jleegirl
    jleegirl Posts: 44
    Options
    I have Dance Central which has a workout mode on it. Basically all it does it track your spent calories based on your weight. It's really fun but based on it's calorie counter doesn't burn enough calories for me to consider it a good workout. I'd have to dance non stop for an hour to get the same output as I do from a 20min run.

Thank you SO much for mentioning the workout mode on Dance Central! I've been playing this game since december and never would have found stumbeling across this thread!! :happy:
  • MariaAlexandra
    MariaAlexandra Posts: 126 Member
    Options

Yeah, but that workout mode is highly inaccurate! LOL I tried it along with wearing my HRM. I was playing for like an hour or a little less than that, my HRM told me I burned about 500 while the DC game told me i burned 20 LOL!

While I'm here, does anyone know if the Kinect Active program - the HRm that it comes with, if it's only the program or can you use it for any workout and it'll record the results in the program??