Any message therapist out there?

smuehlbauer
smuehlbauer Posts: 1,041 Member
edited September 22 in Chit-Chat
I am looking at making a career change and I'm thinking about going to school to become a massage therapist.
If any of you are certified - let me know what you think.
How was the school?
How long did it take?
What was the cost of the school?
Where do you work now? Spa? Clinic? Dr Office? Own your own place?
How's the pay?
If you don't feel comfortable telling me all of these things on here, feel free to shoot me a private message.
Pluses, negatives?
What do I need to know before going into this?
Thanks
Steph

Replies

• ZebraHead
    ZebraHead Posts: 15,207 Member
    I fancy myself a wordsmith. Does that count? :bigsmile:

Sorry - I tried but couldn't resist... :flowerforyou:
  • smuehlbauer
    smuehlbauer Posts: 1,041 Member
    Oh, for F sake!
    Maybe I should go back to school for spelling!
    LOL
  • sugarbeans
    sugarbeans Posts: 676 Member
    I am a massage therapist in Alberta, Canada.
    The school I went to was a 2500hr (2yr) program but there are other schools that do from 6months, 1 yr to 2yr. Here in Canada different provinces have different qulification requirements in order to work in that province. Example I can't work in BC or Ont because I do not have 3000 hrs I would either have to take another year or challenge the exams.

I personally love massage I've been doing it for 3 yrs now. I am contracted out to a Chiropractors office and make 52bucks a massage roughly. (doesn't include what I have to deduct for taxes or overhead costs)

The usual pay around here is by %. 60/40 is most common. (RMT takes the 60%, business takes 40%) that's theraputic massage. Most spa''s pay minimum wage plus either commission and/or extra is from tips. Downside you work harder for the money than it's worth... up side to a spa is they usually have WCB(workers comp) so if you do get injured your at least covered.

If you like helping people and don't mind the calm, quiet setting massage is for you. Like I said before I love massage and being there for the clients helping them through their healing process. I am a Theraputic Massage Therapist and deal with anything from sprots injuries, prenatal, or MVA's (Motor Vehicle Accidents). I also do relaxation massage but focus is on Theraputic.
    Downside is it is hard on the body. They say average work span for RMT's is 5 yrs most pass this but others don't even last that long due to injury.
    I can only do about 5 1hour massages a day and some days that's pushing it.

The education for my program specifically was 16k.

Hope this helps, if you have more questions feel free to message me.
  • T_R_A_V
    T_R_A_V Posts: 1,629 Member
    Steph,

Can I volunteer to be a test base for you to practice on!:laugh:

Sorry not on subject I know.
  • RoadDog
    RoadDog Posts: 2,946 Member
    I am an LMT in Portland, Oregon. I got my License in 1988 and the requirements for certification have changed since then. Each state is differtent regarding licensing. I found the school I attended by speaking with other Therapists in my city. Suggest you try that route.

I think back then the cost was in the neighborhood of $10K. I worked out of a Chiropractors office and suggest an affiliation like that for yourself.

There is a downside. You ARE going to get propostioned. Working through a Chiroprator or a Naturopath will help minimize that, but it's still something you should prepare yourself for.
  • Fesse
    Fesse Posts: 611
    I'm a licensed massage therapist myself but I live in Canada so I can't help you much on what schools to pick from but I can tell you that it was the best decision I've made as far as a career. It's a very rewarding profession to know that you've helped someone who is in pain.
    I went to school to become an esthetician and furthered my studies in massage and by doing so I managed a spa in a 5 star hotel for 10 plus years. Love it!
    Good luck!
This discussion has been closed.